Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, where do you spoof? :) In Clover config utility?
Do this work with AMD RX as primary?

Not as primary, in clover graphics settings set fake id 0x67EF1002, it also works with 67FF1002.

Of course the Sapphire RX 480 works with macOS Sierra and future updates, just not OOB. The key is to not edit the kext file. Just spoof the DeviceID to 0x67EF1002 in Clover to enable acceleration. That guide you mentioned suggests a manual edit of the kext file. There are limitations if a kext file is manually edited, as acknowledged by the author in macrumors.

We have gone beyond that by using FakeSMCKext in folders 10.11, and other in clover. The SMCkext is altered with a few kexts and parts of and this enables updates without any problems because the original kexts are left alone. All the edits are done in Clover.

I found using the 67ef1002 results in lower benchmarks, most people are using 67eo and now 67ff also works for modding. 67EF1002 is great for the RX 460, but for the 470 and 480 67ff or 67eo mod is more productive.

We have gone beyond that by using FakeSMCKext in folders 10.11, and other in clover. The SMCkext is altered with a few kexts and parts of and this enables updates without any problems because the original kexts are left alone. All the edits are done in Clover.

I found using the 67ef1002 results in lower benchmarks, most people are using 67eo and now 67ff also works for modding. 67EF1002 is great for the RX 460, but for the 470 and 480 67ff or 67eo mod is more productive.
Gigamaxx, I have decided to try out your FakeSMC.kext method. I've downloaded the FakeSMC.kext (For 12.1 beta) on page 64 and confirmed that my board definition is listed in there. I then placed the kext in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and /Others. I have also removed the fake id in Clover Config. I rebooted my system, but there was no acceleration. Did I miss anything? Do I need to inject ATI or provide a framebuffer? Do I need to delete the FakeSMC.kext in /Library/Extensions?

Gigamaxx, I have decided to try out your FakeSMC.kext method. I've downloaded the FakeSMC.kext (For 12.1 beta) on page 64 and confirmed that my board definition is listed in there. I then placed the kext in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and /Others. I have also removed the fake id in Clover Config. I rebooted my system, but there was no acceleration. Did I miss anything? Do I need to inject ATI or provide a framebuffer? Do I need to delete the FakeSMC.kext in /Library/Extensions?

Yes, you may need to replace the one in there. Also use a kext tool when doing this for repair permissions.

The only thing holding me back from replacing my trusted GTX 760 with Sapphire RX 480 is sleep/wake issues.
Do you think 10.12.2 will address this or something in the power management framework?
Frankly, I'd rather wait for Vega RX 490 for a more future proof solution.

The only thing holding me back from replacing my trusted GTX 760 with Sapphire RX 480 is sleep/wake issues.
Do you think 10.12.2 will address this or something in the power management framework?
I was planning to go for a RX470/480, but ended up getting a 2nd hand GTX680 for the native support. I think I'll wait for the dust to settle on the whole Polaris situation and then decide...

THE FURY PRO.
Vega 10.png

Gigamaxx, that's encouraging to see Vega10. I just checked the price on first Vega10 GPU and it will be similar to Pascal X, that's too rich for me as I am not a gamer, but 4K @60Hz is extremely important to me, think I'll stick to RX 480 and only if it support sleep/wake starting with 10.12.2. Thanks for all your hard work.

Gigamaxx, that's encouraging to see Vega10. I just checked the price on first Vega10 GPU and it will be similar to Pascal X, that's too rich for me as I am not a gamer, but 4K @60Hz is extremely important to me, think I'll stick to RX 480 and only if it support sleep/wake starting with 10.12.2. Thanks for all your hard work.

My Z97 pentium g3258, and Z170 i6500 builds have not had sleep wake issues when using EMUvariable and OSXaptiofix1 not the 2 version. I've left them alone overnight and hit any key and they wake up usable with USB trackpad keyboards. My sound is through a USB sound device the sabrient found in the buyers guide. Boot arguments for Z170 dart=0, and Darkwake=8, for pentium Cpus=1, and Darkwake=8. I read about the darkwake from a thread somewhere and it worked for me, along with unchecking a few items in energy saver in system preferences.

P.S. I tried out a 4K 43" monitor for a couple of weeks and it worked well with the RX, I had to convert it to 1080p though to use it for anything but watching videos. It took three minutes to scroll across the screen, the mouse pointer was tiny and hard to see and all the icons needed a magnifying glass to decipher. It was really time consuming, click on an icon and it would open a window in the other side of the screen, click on that screen and it would open another all the way across the other side again. It was like walking ia mile everytime you wanted to select something, lol.

Last edited:
P.S. I tried out a 4K 43" monitor for a couple of weeks and it worked well with the RX, I had to convert it to 1080p though to use it for anything but watching videos. It took three minutes to scroll across the screen, the mouse pointer was tiny and hard to see and all the icons needed a magnifying glass to decipher. It was really time consuming, click on an icon and it would open a window in the other side of the screen, click on that screen and it would open another all the way across the other side again. It was like walking ia mile everytime you wanted to select something, lol.

Actually, I am using UHD resolution, which is 3840 x 2160 @60Hz on a 48" 4K Sammy and it's not too small. It just feel like 1080p on a 24" Dell, just twice screen real estate. Regarding sleep/wake on 10.12.1, I'll wait and see what 10.12.2 to see if sleep/wake fully working without messing with EMU and OSXaptionfix. Right now with my GTX 760, sleep/wake fully working on 10.12.1, so not really pressed to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back