Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
TRY THIS

the Sapphire RX 480 works with macOS Sierra and future updates, just not OOB. The key is to not edit the kext file. Just spoof the DeviceID to 0x67EF1002 in Clover to enable acceleration.

someone found using the 67ef1002 results in lower benchmarks, most people are using 67eo and now 67ff also works for modding. 67EF1002 is great for the RX 460, but for the 470 and 480 67ff or 67eo mod is more productive.

please let me know

TRY THIS

the Sapphire RX 480 works with macOS Sierra and future updates, just not OOB. The key is to not edit the kext file. Just spoof the DeviceID to 0x67EF1002 in Clover to enable acceleration.

someone found using the 67ef1002 results in lower benchmarks, most people are using 67eo and now 67ff also works for modding. 67EF1002 is great for the RX 460, but for the 470 and 480 67ff or 67eo mod is more productive.

please let me know

I did the 67EF and 67FF clover ID injection and they worked, the 67eo was not taking with the ID method. The 67eo works when doing the 4100kext mod though and performance is equal to the 67FF mod.

@david, have you tried disabling SIP? System integrity protection, when you boot up hold down the command key and "r" key. It should boot into recovery partition, once at the recovery partition select utilities and then terminal. Type in csrutil disable and then reboot. Try making changes to the 4100kext and remember to remove the plist from the contents folder, place it on desktop, make changes, then return to contents folder. Follow permissions prompts and use kext tool to get repair permissions.

Check this contents folder you may have misplaced and dropped the plist in the macOS, or other folder which could cause the kext to not function or get it flagged because it's not in order. The placing or returning of the modified plist must be in the same location that you removed it from.

Hi all,

I've just finished a preliminary test on a Radeon RX 480 and here are the results:

I'm very happy about them! :) you can see for yourselves! :headbang:

This is still very preliminary and in the next weeks I will work on the rig and I hopefully will have everything set properly.

For now I can just tell you some details:

• http://powercolor.com/global/products_features.asp?id=614#Specification that's the card, and I strongly suggest you not to buy anything else if you want to go for a RX480. It's really super easy to setup, just mod thetwo bytes in 4100 kext and go. Nothing else to do, we tried other RX480 cards but they didn't work at all. This is one of the cards more similar to the reference design (just one more DVI port, which I don't use and I've never tested so far).
  • Sysdef 17,1 in my case, Clover v. 3899, MacOS 12.1, CSM disabled, IGFX enabled, and iGPU as primary (I want to test if I can still set PCI0 as primary).
  • Sleep/wake working only if no monitor is connected to HD530. If this is the case analog sound survive the wake without anything else, aka no codeccommander is necessary. But no digital sound from RX480 at all, unfortunately. Neither on DPs nor on HDMI. But digital sound still working perfectly on HD530 on both DP and HDMI. Wake doesn't need any darkwake option and sleep is truly effective, all the fans are stopped and cold.
  • Multi monitor support is working perfectly, all the DPs and HDMI working simultaneously .
  • Graphics performances are in the Nvidia GTX970 territory, at least under MacOS. Acceleration is there, performances are there, especially considering the price; there is Metal support, 10bit support (wide-gamut) and all the ports are DP 1.4 so they can manage a full Thunderbolt 3 signal (hint here! ;)).
  • I ran some graphics benchmarks but now everything is still preliminary. Lexmark, Cinebench and others look promising, and never crashed.
  • Still no BIOS post or Clover screen during booting, and that's the most annoying aspect but with HD530 fully working it's just a change of video port to have the BIOS handy, if needed.

that's all for now! :wave:

Post a Uningine Valley extreme HD benchmark for us please.
RX 480 Valley ex hd.png

Last edited:
Hey team!

I'm tearing my hair out over this one! I just wanted to play some AAA games on Steam. I'm trying to get the RX480 Nitro+ 4GB installed. No matter what I try, I can't turn on graphics acceleration.

I've tried editing "AMDRadeonX4100.kext" and that didn't work. So I took to Clover (as suggested).

Here are the clover settings I've applied:

Device-FakeID-ATI-0x67EF1002 (I've also tried 0x67EO1002 & 67FF1002).

But in About This Mac, graphics comes up as "R9 xxx".

Any ideas? Thank you kindly! :)

Hey team!

I'm tearing my hair out over this one! I just wanted to play some AAA games on Steam. I'm trying to get the RX480 Nitro+ 4GB installed. No matter what I try, I can't turn on graphics acceleration.

I've tried editing "AMDRadeonX4100.kext" and that didn't work. So I took to Clover (as suggested).

Here are the clover settings I've applied:

Device-FakeID-ATI-0x67EF1002 (I've also tried 0x67EO1002 & 67FF1002).

But in About This Mac, graphics comes up as "R9 xxx".

Any ideas? Thank you kindly! :)

When you did the 4100kext change did you remove the plist from the folder and place on desktop? Make changes and replace to folder, follow prompts "authenticate" and "replace".
After that make sure to use a kext tool to get repair permissions, before reboot.i

Check to see if the plist was returned to folder but in the wrong spot.

Hi all,

I've just finished a preliminary test on a Radeon RX 480 and here are the results:

I'm very happy about them! :) you can see for yourselves! :headbang:

This is still very preliminary and in the next weeks I will work on the rig and I hopefully will have everything set properly.

For now I can just tell you some details:

• http://powercolor.com/global/products_features.asp?id=614#Specification that's the card, and I strongly suggest you not to buy anything else if you want to go for a RX480. It's really super easy to setup, just mod thetwo bytes in 4100 kext and go. Nothing else to do, we tried other RX480 cards but they didn't work at all. This is one of the cards more similar to the reference design (just one more DVI port, which I don't use and I've never tested so far).
  • Sysdef 17,1 in my case, Clover v. 3899, MacOS 12.1, CSM disabled, IGFX enabled, and iGPU as primary (I want to test if I can still set PCI0 as primary).
  • Sleep/wake working only if no monitor is connected to HD530. If this is the case analog sound survive the wake without anything else, aka no codeccommander is necessary. But no digital sound from RX480 at all, unfortunately. Neither on DPs nor on HDMI. But digital sound still working perfectly on HD530 on both DP and HDMI. Wake doesn't need any darkwake option and sleep is truly effective, all the fans are stopped and cold.
  • Multi monitor support is working perfectly, all the DPs and HDMI working simultaneously .
  • Graphics performances are in the Nvidia GTX970 territory, at least under MacOS. Acceleration is there, performances are there, especially considering the price; there is Metal support, 10bit support (wide-gamut) and all the ports are DP 1.4 so they can manage a full Thunderbolt 3 signal (hint here! ;)).
  • I ran some graphics benchmarks but now everything is still preliminary. Lexmark, Cinebench and others look promising, and never crashed.
  • Still no BIOS post or Clover screen during booting, and that's the most annoying aspect but with HD530 fully working it's just a change of video port to have the BIOS handy, if needed.

that's all for now! :wave:

Great work! How many fps did you get on Cinebench? Could you also test the FCPX Bruce X as well? If I use a USB speakers, do you think they can survive after sleep? What CPU did you use with the RX 480? Thanks!

When you did the 4100kext change did you remove the plist from the folder and place on desktop? Make changes and replace to folder, follow prompts "authenticate" and "replace".
After that make sure to use a kext tool to get repair permissions, before reboot.i

Check to see if the plist was returned to folder but in the wrong spot.

Thanks for replying!

It's definitely in there. Long story short, I kept getting a [White Stop Sign Icon] so had to do a fresh install. On checking, it's definitely in there. And referring to the post that recommended editing the kext, it's definitely right.

Am I missing a step, or filling something in wrong into Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back