Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed R9 280X to Sapphire RX 480 8GB. Works fine. BruceX test result without background rendering 17 sec, after rendering 14 sec.

Last edited:
Hiya, just want to pop by and chip in. Same as aunaste, I was on an R9 280X and I've also had good luck with the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480. It's the top end one which is stock OC'd to 1342Mhz (11260-01-20G). Running with iGPU enabled, but blind booting through Clover to Sierra. With my monitor, I just need to have it awake and on the right input to trigger properly when the GPU wakes up and starts to output and image.

I've had to go the kext modifying route, as the patched FakeSMC didn't want to accelerate under 10.12.1 and I haven't had the patience to try figuring out spoofing EDIDs - even the idiot guides don't seem to quite match up with what I'm working with. It's been fairly stable, but have had at least one crash each day. Some of these followed a pattern I had before with the R9 280X, others have been 100% to do with the RX 480. It's a hard crash, but the mouse still moves behind the grid of noise in this image. When I have the iGPU plugged in, it still freezes, but the noise is only shown on the RX 480 output.

IMG_3282.jpg

Sadly, I've not been able to figure out a particular trigger. I could be when FCPX is open, when I'm just browsing the internet. Just as I was double checking the serial number of my GPU and on the Sapphire website, it crashed like this! But it's not consistent, far as I can tell.

I'm wondering if there's anything I should look for in the console to track this? Also, I have iStat menus running, but it's not currently tracking the processor usage of the RX 480. Is there another tool that can do this in OSX? I've never truly been sure of what the GPU's actually up to and where it's being put to use, and that'd be nice to know when using FCPX!

I purchased two Sapphire 480 8GB and was able to get dual monitors working, but with only one card installed. However, they would only work with one monitor connected with Displayport and the other HDMI. If I used both as Displayport or both as HDMI Sierra would recognize both monitors under the display settings, but the second monitor would be lit up and show only a black screen. Also, if I installed the second card all screens would light up and show a black screen. I heard the swoosh sound, so Sierra seemed to boot ok in the background. Any ideas?

I ran a Sapphire Nitro 470 8gb, very good performance, and others have confirmed the 480 to work well as well.

The unlucky ones so far are the Gigabyte 470, 480, Asus all, and MSI 480. The MSI stumps me, the MSI 470 runs like butter, but I couldn't get the 480 working.

Hiya, just want to pop by and chip in. Same as aunaste, I was on an R9 280X and I've also had good luck with the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480. It's the top end one which is stock OC'd to 1342Mhz (11260-01-20G). Running with iGPU enabled, but blind booting through Clover to Sierra. With my monitor, I just need to have it awake and on the right input to trigger properly when the GPU wakes up and starts to output and image.

I've had to go the kext modifying route, as the patched FakeSMC didn't want to accelerate under 10.12.1 and I haven't had the patience to try figuring out spoofing EDIDs - even the idiot guides don't seem to quite match up with what I'm working with. It's been fairly stable, but have had at least one crash each day. Some of these followed a pattern I had before with the R9 280X, others have been 100% to do with the RX 480. It's a hard crash, but the mouse still moves behind the grid of noise in this image. When I have the iGPU plugged in, it still freezes, but the noise is only shown on the RX 480 output.

View attachment 218315

Sadly, I've not been able to figure out a particular trigger. I could be when FCPX is open, when I'm just browsing the internet. Just as I was double checking the serial number of my GPU and on the Sapphire website, it crashed like this! But it's not consistent, far as I can tell.

I'm wondering if there's anything I should look for in the console to track this? Also, I have iStat menus running, but it's not currently tracking the processor usage of the RX 480. Is there another tool that can do this in OSX? I've never truly been sure of what the GPU's actually up to and where it's being put to use, and that'd be nice to know when using FCPX!

IORegistryExplorer might help it shows which framebuffers are running. Have you tried reinstalling Sierra? It may be a corrupted install.

Might give a fresh Sierra install a try when I have a day free. But I just had three back to back crashes like that, and decided to give up and muddle along in Windows for a while.... where I had the noise grid appear for a few seconds before the screen went blank and came back disruption free.

Doesn't look like it's software, but something slightly hinky with the hardware, but OSX can't recover while Windows jus shrugs and gets on with it. Power supply? I mean, it's a 500W supply, but it's been running perfectly fine with a more demanding 280X for the last two years.

Last edited:
Might give a fresh Sierra install a try when I have a day free. But I just had three back to back crashes like that, and decided to give up and muddle along in Windows for a while.... where I had the noise grid appear for a few seconds before the screen went blank and came back disruption free.

Doesn't look like it's software, but something slightly hinky with the hardware, but OSX can't recover while Windows jus shrugs and gets on with it. Power supply? I mean, it's a 500W supply, but it's been running perfectly fine with a more demanding 280X for the last two years.

I've had to remove and reset my ddr3 ram from time to time early on in the betas.

With just one Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 8GB installed in my system I am able to boot into sierra with acceleration. However, I have to try booting into Sierra 3 to 5 times before it will boot without crashing. I keep getting the white circle with a line through it. If I keep restarting and trying again it will eventually boot. Any ideas?

I purchased two Sapphire 480 8GB and was able to get dual monitors working, but with only one card installed. However, they would only work with one monitor connected with Displayport and the other HDMI. If I used both as Displayport or both as HDMI Sierra would recognize both monitors under the display settings, but the second monitor would be lit up and show only a black screen. Also, if I installed the second card all screens would light up and show a black screen. I heard the swoosh sound, so Sierra seemed to boot ok in the background. Any ideas?

To fix your Intel graphics, use fake ID 0x19120003, and insert ig platform 0a206080 it should give you SKL CRB graphics at 1536 mb. Don't inject Intel just add the numbers in clover graphics settings. This takes care of the splitting screen at start up but the upper left glitch has not been resolved yet.
This is odd. What's this about? Where are you suppose to put these values?

This is odd. What's this about? Where are you suppose to put these values?

In clover graphics settings, its for the igpu to get metal support. Some are working on getting HD 530 to work with out bugs, this gives you SKL CRB graphics which are already imbedded in Sierra in the AppleIntelSKLgraphicskext.
Its for Skylake systems only, thus the SKL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back