Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
My MSI RX 470 has "supported" status by way of a simple change to the 4000kext in Baffin. I'm posting a picture guide there to show how easy it is to get in Sierra with the Polaris cards.

Note: my XFX RX 480 has support with this method but the drivers are not optimized for it. The RX 470 MSI 4gb Gaming has near Full support and has integrated graphics if you select inject Intel AND inject ATI.

Integrated graphics has come to Sierra!

My MSI RX 470 has "supported" status by way of a simple change to the 4000kext in Baffin. I'm posting a picture guide there to show how easy it is to get in Sierra with the Polaris cards.

Note: my XFX RX 480 has support with this method but the drivers are not optimized for it. The RX 470 MSI 4gb Gaming has near Full support and has integrated graphics if you select inject Intel AND inject ATI.

My card is Dataland RX470 4G,i can use it to enter the system,but it shows R9 XXX (4096MB) in System infomations and not the QE effect , so how can I fully drive it.
Thanks u so much

Would love to see a written guide and full info to accompany these pictures... interested in one of these cards.

My card is Dataland RX470 4G,i can use it to enter the system,but it shows R9 XXX (4096MB) in System infomations and not the QE effect , so how can I fully drive it.
Thanks u so much

I created a picture guide for the fix to get your card acceleration. You basically rewrite the device ID in the Amd4000kext. From 67EO1002 to 67DF1002. Your RX card gets picked up but you need your bios settings to be IGFX as primary display output, and set to automatic. Once you have "supported" status in about this Mac system report, you need to connect the HDMI cable (or other) to the video card just before hitting return to boot system. Look for the guide in the Radeon testers thread or also in "Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra". There's a YouTube video by Philips Garage that you should watch on the RX 480. After watching the video a few times the pictorial I put together will make sense.

Last edited:
I have the reference gigabyte card and it appears in macOS as an unknown R9 xxx card with 8 GB of vRAM
and do you mean 67DF1002?
Yes, I fixed it thank you. This is common for now with most AMD cards. There are ways to inject the RX 480 using clover but it's only cosmetic. The important thing is that you get acceleration and " supported" status. Does the card accelerate during boot?

No it does not accelerate at all
I tried adding my id to amd4000x/info.plist
But to no avail.
Darn frustrating.

Did you remove the plist from the folder before making changes? It must be removed, changed and replaced with permissions (authentication/ replace) then use kext tool to get repair permissions before rebooting. If you don't use a kext repair tool it will appear as changed but not stick.

I also tried out a Gigabyte RX 470 8gb model and was unable to get it to accelerate. The 460 runs great, but could. It get the 470 to work. Try using clover with the Baffin FB name and IDs 67EF1002, 67DF1002.

I did that
But I just noticed that it was not shuttering like it use to but than if I try running valley it drops to5fps which might be the system using the 4600 instead of the 480 so I tried switching them in the bios the gpu and there the stuttering was back.
So I went back to igfx and now I can not boot
//Edit
So got it working agian not sure what happened
I disabled the onboard graphics processor
And there is no noticeable graphic leg but still not accelerating.

Attachments

• IMG_5053.JPG
    IMG_5053.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 401
Last edited:
I did that
But I just noticed that it was not shuttering like it use to but than if I try running valley it drops to5fps which might be the system using the 4600 instead of the 480 so I tried switching them in the bios the gpu and there the stuttering was back.
So I went back to igfx and now I can not boot
//Edit
So got it working agian not sure what happened
I disabled the onboard graphics processor
And there is no noticeable graphic leg but still not accelerating.

When you boot up do you stop at clover screen? If so set any adjustments and before you hit enter switch cable to card output port then hit enter (IFGX mode). It should be a black screen until password screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back