Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got SAPPHIRE NITRO RX480 8GB gfx-card here. Running under SIERRA Beta4. Displays connected: DELL DP 4K and SAMSUNG HDMI FullHD. Currently no Accelleration, cause AMD4000Support.kext won't get loaded. Got the card for one day now, so still experimenting with it. Right now running wíth BERBICE Framebuffer and also tested DAYMAN Framebuffer - both pathed to match the card to get HDMI working. Both framebuffers need just a few changes to make it work.

Main common thing to get fixed: AMD4000Support.kext to get loaded and card accelerated. Full range of memory (8GB here) detected.

Will keep ya informed, if i got more details, so stay tuned...

Sigh, I wish Apple made it easier to write drivers!

C'mon, Apple. OS X is 15+ years old, you could do better, you're on Intel now.

** BUMP **

So what do you tell me.. buy or forget this nice peace of hardware?

** BUMP **

So what do you tell me.. buy or forget this nice peace of hardware?

I've the same identical doubt. I'm on a R9 285 now, and everything works fine on my hacks, but I REALLY DO WANT a RX480 :(

Also, I will leave my beloved Yosemite to have Polaris drivers, but I can live with this.

Sigh, I wish Apple made it easier to write drivers!

C'mon, Apple. OS X is 15+ years old, you could do better, you're on Intel now.
I don't think it's more complicated to write OS X drivers than on any other platform. AMD just doesn't care (or they have a special agreement with Apple not to release 3rd party drivers).

@others: Support isn't 100% there yet, so I wouldn't buy a 480 yet. A used GTX 980 is a better solution at the moment.

@@others: Support isn't 100% there yet, so I wouldn't buy a 480 yet. A used GTX 980 is a better solution at the moment.

Is this true till today

hypothesis: Stable drivers are made for the 480, whether 3rd party or official drivers. How likely is the R460 supported than?

Actually the 460 has both 2D and 3D drivers in Sierra, the 480 has 2D drivers only so far.

hypothesis: Stable drivers are made for the 480, whether 3rd party or official drivers. How likely is the R460 supported than?
Try the Gigabyte RX 460 4 gb model, I've had good runs with it. It has near " native" support.
I've tried other brands XFX and Asus to no avail. The Gigabyte brand gets " supported" status in Sierra and has acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back