Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

With the Sapphire removed I did get access to the battery last eve, which I pulled and left out for about 5 minutes before putting back in. No luck after, tho. I'll try reinstalling the Sapphire when I get home tonight and also try the jumper method of CMOS reset which I see mentioned in my mobo guide. Natch, without access to Bios, though, I won't be able to select PEG as primary but I do think my mobo's default is "Auto," which might be better than the "IGFX" I had it set to previously.
I finally got my Sapphire Pulse working! Apparently, when installing it I'd accidentally loosened one or more DRAM units, and there was an amber warning light on my mobo which I hadn't noticed before. After reseating all RAM and pressing the mobo's MemOK button, my Hack's BIOS splash appeared so I could disable iGPU and switch to PEG. Then I booted-up, and all looks good with the GPU. I'm usingSystem Def iMacPro1,1 and WEG with boot argument agdpmod=pikera :)

Which video card is better to take, Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT or ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT?

They both fit into my case, but I can not decide.

9103_701_sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-pulse-oc-custom-navi-here.jpg

1564718187532.jpg

Seeing as how you have an ITX motherboard, you should pay attention to how large the cards are...
They will definitely fit into my NCase M1 enclosure, so I choose between them.

Which video card is better to take, Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT or ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT?

They both fit into my case, but I can not decide.

View attachment 432190

View attachment 432191
The Asus Strix is a better card but I would go with the Sapphire Pulse because:
1. The strix has a custom, higher quality PCB with better power delivery for extreme Overclocking, but it could affect compatibility with the Hack.
2. In this thread there are already some people confirming that the Sapphire Pulse working. It uses reference PCB design so it should have assured compatibility
3. At USA prices you save $50 choosing the Pulse over the Strix and the difference are negligible in a hackintosh

The Asus Strix is a better card but I would go with the Sapphire Pulse because:
1. The strix has a custom, higher quality PCB with better power delivery for extreme Overclocking, but it could affect compatibility with the Hack.
2. In this thread there are already some people confirming that the Sapphire Pulse working. It uses reference PCB design so it should have assured compatibility
3. At USA prices you save $50 choosing the Pulse over the Strix and the difference are negligible in a hackintosh
The noise level is important to me.

Can you explain in a little more detail what you did for us newbies?

Nothing special! I installed Catalina 19B77a - bought 5700 xt - set bootfLag whatevergreen -> agdpmod=pikera via Clover Configurator and that's it :)

The noise level is important to me.
Both card have dual BIOS that let you choose if you prefer lower temp (std BIOS) or lower noise (silent BIOS). There's no doubt that the cooler solution on the Strix should be better and would provide lower temps at the same noise level (like 6C - 9C lower). But both should be 30C to 40C cooler than reference AMD card!.
The thing with the Navi is that once you are cool enough (almost any cooler besides reference blower) your performance is not limited by temps but limited by hardcoded power limits in the chip. Therefore, even if the Strix can run a little bit cooler than the Pulse the performance difference is negligible. And with ample temperature headroom on both you can run the fans as low as you want to have almost silent operation without sacrificing performance because even at low fan speeds both cards should run cooler than reference card.

Back