Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

It's been almost a week since I installed 10.15.5. I also have installed the supplemental. Overall, not a single crash that caused me to have to reboot.

However, I have had three freezes that recovered in under 5 seconds. The mouse works, but I can't click anywhere.. Then, all of a sudden, all works. I didn't log it. This happened three times using Firefox and once using Chrome. Never happened using Safari.. And I have mostly been using Safari.

So, I won't claim this issue is "fixed", but it's MUCH better.. Enough that I will keep using the 5700xt. Also, I haven't gotten a single crash using Zoom.. And this is where most of my crashes occurred.

It's been almost a week since I installed 10.15.5. I also have installed the supplemental. Overall, not a single crash that caused me to have to reboot.

However, I have had three freezes that recovered in under 5 seconds. The mouse works, but I can't click anywhere.. Then, all of a sudden, all works. I didn't log it. This happened three times using Firefox and once using Chrome. Never happened using Safari.. And I have mostly been using Safari.

So, I won't claim this issue is "fixed", but it's MUCH better.. Enough that I will keep using the 5700xt. Also, I haven't gotten a single crash using Zoom.. And this is where most of my crashes occurred.

Yea it looks like it is trying to recover and I have had similar times when it would freeze and then be fine after a few seconds. The issue I posted about yesterday was like it was trying to recover but then would immediately fail again. Looking in console it was trying to restart the GPU but couldn't.

I was able to get a screenshot of console when it was locking up over and over. Those lines about try to restart the GPU and AMD Error appear every time the machine is functional for a second or two before it locks up for 5-10 seconds. I am able to move my mouse at all times during this but the UI only reacts to input during those 1-2 seconds when it isn't locked up. This is with the security patch installed.
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 11.30.58 AM.png

I was able to get a screenshot of console when it was locking up over and over. Those lines about try to restart the GPU and AMD Error appear every time the machine is functional for a second or two before it locks up for 5-10 seconds. I am able to move my mouse at all times during this but the UI only reacts to input during those 1-2 seconds when it isn't locked up. This is with the security patch installed.

Very interesting. So it's clear they did something in 10.15.5 and it's obviously on their radar. Which is good. Hopefully it will improve again in 10.15.6.

What also interesting is the TIMEOUT!! As having been a programmer for 15+ years, that isn't the type of message I'd put for something that goes into production.. It looks like a debug statement more than anything.

J

Very interesting. So it's clear they did something in 10.15.5 and it's obviously on their radar. Which is good. Hopefully it will improve again in 10.15.6.

What also interesting is the TIMEOUT!! As having been a programmer for 15+ years, that isn't the type of message I'd put for something that goes into production.. It looks like a debug statement more than anything.

J

Also the fact that it just says "AMD Error:". That colon there makes it seem like there should be more information.

So over the weekend I've been testing the various SMBIOS' against the Sapphire reference 5700XT. I didn't run benchmarks because those all pull the same relative numbers. Instead I did some real life tests.

Anyone else test each SMBIOS? I am seeing exceptional performance with MacPro7,1 but pretty mixed results on iMac19,1 and iMacPro1,1. The iMac is the worst in FCPX taking the longest to encode and even navigate my projects.

Both iMac19,1 and iMacPro1,1 results in little beachballs even dragging the slider around my clips not to mention extended encode times.

Also, https://github.com/IOIIIO/MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler/issues/4 we are close to being able to dump WEG without having issues with the memory.

iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 makes no measurable difference on my setup in FCPX

I dont have any kernel panics/freezes. Never had. Its my work machine, its stressed all day...

still on 10.15.4

I dont have any kernel panics/freezes. Never had. Its my work machine, its stressed all day...

still on 10.15.4
10.15.6 are worlds apart

still on 10.15.4

I can work on my machine all day. It only crashes if I let it go to sleep and then do something the triggers the GPU after it wakes up. Sometimes it recovers and sometimes it doesn’t.

Simple tricks I discovered to limit my machine to 3-6 crashes a day is to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome and Slack (Chromium), plus I try to have all my meetings (Hangouts) in Safari, seems to handle better the GPU.

Also the notifications are always turned off, say I work on the left monitor in my IDE, and I would get a notification on the RIGHT (primary) monitor which hadn't been used or it has static content on it, 3 out of 4 times I would get a freeze.

I'm bitting the bullet and trying 10.15.5 now, hoping to get those recovering moments instead of KPs

Last edited:
10.15.6 are worlds apart

I've installed the profile to be able to update to 10.15.6, I won't though yet, until I test 10.15.5.

What do you mean by they are worlds apart ?

Back