Am I on the right track with PC list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Corsair Build (In Progress)
CPU
i7
Hey, I'm new to the forum.
I don't have a PC build yet. Ive been working on the list of part that I would like to use.
Before I buy, I was wanting to see if I'm on the right track with the the list of parts I have made.
I want to install Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11

This is a budget build, but I am willing to spend a little more if I need to for good parts.
List of Soon to Buy Parts:

Mother Borard- Asus Z170-E LGA 1151
CPU- Intel Core i5-6600 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1151 65W
RAM- Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2X8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2400
PSU- Corsair HXi Series HX750i 750W
SSD- Corsair Force LE 2.5" SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive
HDD- Seagate Barracuda 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0GB/s Bare Bone Drive
Heat Sink- Cooler Master RR-212X-20PM-R1 120mm 4th Gen Bearing CPU Cooler
Graphics Card-?

I put the Corsair SSD on my list instead of The Samsung EVO because of the Cheaper Price. Should I keep the Corsair or No?
I haven't picked a graphics card yet. Ive been look through the ones on the buyers guide, but I decided to wait until I know for sure for the El Capitan OS.
I also have a El Capitan USB bootable on the way in the mail.

What do you guys think so far?
Loving this site by the way, this is my first time on any kind of forum.

Thank you for any responses.

Last edited:
I would not bother with the I version of the Corsair PSU - it is not worth the extra $ without the I version of the CPU cooler and the software to control pump/fans only works with Windows.

Check the RAM support page on the board OEM site and make sure your chosen RAM is on the list - this is getting more and more important as time goes by and new boards come out.

I would not bother with the I version of the Corsair PSU - it is not worth the extra $ without the I version of the CPU cooler and the software to control pump/fans only works with Windows.

Check the RAM support page on the board OEM site and make sure your chosen RAM is on the list - this is getting more and more important as time goes by and new boards come out.
OK, thank you very much. I will look into getting a Different PSU, and Ill see if I can find specific specs for RAM.
Hopefully Ill be able to get started on this build soon.

I did think of one other question. If I install a MAC OS on the SSD or HDD, and run it for some time. If I decided that I would like to switch back to a Windows OS, would I have to buy a new SSD/HDD or can i just wipe it completely and install windows onto it.
I read that if widows has been installed on a HDD, there is no way that a MAC OS will install onto the HDD. Even if the HDD was wiped clean. I was wondering if that is the same when its the other way around, and if that is even true at all?

Personally, I like both Windows (7 mainly) and MAC. Ill end up at some point with two computers, (one MAC, one PC) both built by me.
But, that was just something I was wondering.

OK, thank you very much. I will look into getting a Different PSU, and Ill see if I can find specific specs for RAM.
Hopefully Ill be able to get started on this build soon.

I did think of one other question. If I install a MAC OS on the SSD or HDD, and run it for some time. If I decided that I would like to switch back to a Windows OS, would I have to buy a new SSD/HDD or can i just wipe it completely and install windows onto it.
I read that if widows has been installed on a HDD, there is no way that a MAC OS will install onto the HDD. Even if the HDD was wiped clean. I was wondering if that is the same when its the other way around, and if that is even true at all?

Personally, I like both Windows (7 mainly) and MAC. Ill end up at some point with two computers, (one MAC, one PC) both built by me.
But, that was just something I was wondering.
It does not matter what the format of a hard drive is, if you wipe it clean you can install a different OS on the drive as long as the drive is still in good order - broken drives will not work for anything.
If you have had an OS on a drive and want to install Windows on it, best is to use diskpart or other disk management tool to clean and reformat the drive before installing Windows. Same the other way around - if you have a Windows drive and you want to install another OS on it, use your favorite 3rd party disk management tool and clean/format the drive before installing the OS.

It does not matter what the format of a hard drive is, if you wipe it clean you can install a different OS on the drive as long as the drive is still in good order - broken drives will not work for anything.
If you have had an OS on a drive and want to install Windows on it, best is to use diskpart or other disk management tool to clean and reformat the drive before installing Windows. Same the other way around - if you have a Windows drive and you want to install another OS on it, use your favorite 3rd party disk management tool and clean/format the drive before installing the OS.
Awesome, you have told me everything I need to know. Thank you very much. Hopefully I can get started on my build soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back