Contribute
Register

Almost perfect Yosemite build except for freezing (Z97X-UD5H, 4690k, GTX 970)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it helps, I have the same motherboard, the 4790K CPU, twin R9-280X and 32GB RAM. So a little different but I also had random freezes. So far, its been pretty reliable since I did the following:

1. Updated the BIOS to support the 4790K. The MB would last around 30 secs and then crash unless I turned off Turboboost.

2. Added a single extra kext from Multibeast. The AppleACPIPlatform Rollback one. I attach the whole of my multibeast display so you can see what I am running.

Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 21.26.47.png

I run my machine as lean as I can with as few kexts as I can. So far its been good, as an example I did a massive database rebuild, it pulled in 250GB of data from a network drive and spent 96 hours messing with the data to build a large SQL database. Never missed a beat, no freezes or crashes.

However I turn off sleep as I need my machine to run. Not sure what would happen if sleep was enabled :)

I don't overlock but the memory profile is set to performance as opposed to stability. I also do have 32GB of RAM that people said is problematic, not an issue for me.

Not sure if what I have helps but at least one person has stability on the MB (though different graphics card).

Rob.

I have two almost identical machines, sometimes I even exchange the hard disks to test stuff. One has 16GB RAM the other one 32GB. One is freezing like you describe, one not. Guess which is which!

Invest in 16GB RAM...:thumbup:

In my unfortunate case I can only downgrade to 8GB since there are no more than two sockets...

Wow, thank you for all the information rwillett! I will definitely be pulling from that for potential fixes for my computer, but so far I haven't experienced any crashes since I underclocked my CPU, and I'm knocking on wood that I won't have to worry about it again.

If it helps, I have the same motherboard, the 4790K CPU, twin R9-280X and 32GB RAM. So a little different but I also had random freezes. So far, its been pretty reliable since I did the following:

1. Updated the BIOS to support the 4790K. The MB would last around 30 secs and then crash unless I turned off Turboboost.

2. Added a single extra kext from Multibeast. The AppleACPIPlatform Rollback one. I attach the whole of my multibeast display so you can see what I am running.

View attachment 125956

I run my machine as lean as I can with as few kexts as I can. So far its been good, as an example I did a massive database rebuild, it pulled in 250GB of data from a network drive and spent 96 hours messing with the data to build a large SQL database. Never missed a beat, no freezes or crashes.

However I turn off sleep as I need my machine to run. Not sure what would happen if sleep was enabled :)

I don't overlock but the memory profile is set to performance as opposed to stability. I also do have 32GB of RAM that people said is problematic, not an issue for me.

Not sure if what I have helps but at least one person has stability on the MB (though different graphics card).

Rob.

Just want to add that you don't need to install the USB 3.0 Universal kext and the CMOS Reset fix for that motherboard.

Im finally tired of fiddling with my initial install, and decided to totally flash the drive with Gparted and start all over. This time I am using your Multibeast config, rwillett. If this doesn't work, I might be working with a strictly Ubuntu/Windows machine. :cry:

Here's my latest version of my Multibeast configuration. I'm still not sure if the imac14,2 defn is the right one or not.

Screen Shot 2015-03-06 at 08.39.34.png

This is pretty reliable. Since i take my machine down from time to time to play games, my uptime is not always that high :)

If I get chance I may well photograph my entire set of BIOS screens, but that will be at the weekend if not later.

Rob.

Wow thank you so much! That may come in real handy!

I immediately had crashes with the initial config you posted, and actually decided to give Clover another try. I have it installed and running now, and it seems extremely clean now and I haven't recieved a crash yet. I'll report back with an update on how well it works after I have used it for some time.

Hi guys, it seems I have quite the same problem here, except for a slightly different system and freeze type.

My systems is GA-Z97MX-GAMING5, i7 4790K, 32gb 1600mhz, gtx760, sandisk 240gb ssd, osx 10.10.2.

I came from a different system, just put my ssd on this new one and installed the "right" kexts. The system runs perfectly, except for one thing. In the morning I turn on my computer, login.. and after few minutes it freezes completely. No beach ball, just freeze.
I must reset from chassis button, then the system restarts; login again then no more freezes for the whole day.

So shortly, my system freezes only on the first boot of the day, when turning on the computer. Then as long as I don't shut it down it runs perfectly.

Before I had random crashes, so I updated system definitions to the latest iMac (I think 14.2), and now I only get this "first boot of the day freeze". Better than before, but this morning I lost a db because of this problem.

Anyone can help?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back