Contribute
Register

Almost perfect Yosemite build except for freezing (Z97X-UD5H, 4690k, GTX 970)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though 10.10.1 may not be the direct issue, it definitely plays some part in the crashing. After my finals are over I will most likely experiment with it to try and get it to run crash-free. I wish you luck with your system, and if you are considering a wifi card, I suggest the Rosewill RNX-N900PCE. Its what I am using and works without any needed drivers and hasn't failed once.

I have been having a similar issue since updating to 10.10.1
On 10.10 I had no problems everything ran sweet, however since updating I now get random kernel panics on boot which come and go & system freezes/complete lockups every now and again.
The only thing I can think of is the OC causing it in 10.10.1 other than this thread I haven't seen anyone with similar problems/symptoms.

I resolved ALL my freeze-problems with CLOVER!

I plan on trying to get a working Clover install soon; just need the time. Did you use this motherboard, hemon? What configuration works for you?

I plan on trying to get a working Clover install soon; just need the time. Did you use this motherboard, hemon? What configuration works for you?

I've the GA-Z87X-UD3D.

You can use the (very good) guide of tonymac: Clover Guide

Cheers.

Edit: I just installed Clover over Chameleon. And you should not forget to put the FAKESMC File to the order...

So despite having posted that I had solved my issue, the freezing started again about 2 months ago, and actually became even more frequent. I was very frustrated and wrestled with my machine for a bit, playing around with kexts and what not, but nothing seemed to solve the problem. Then school started, and I had been too busy to try to solve the issue anymore.

However, today I came across a post that discussed how changing your RAM voltage from the default 1.5V to 1.6V can fix freezing issues, so I gave it a shot.

I've been heavily using my computer all day today, running intensive benchmarks, stress tests, live web cams for hours (since the issue seemed like it might be network related), and so on. I haven't received any freezing yet, which is good for the frequency it was occurring at, but I will make an update post sharing whether or not the freezing continues to occur.

So it has been 6 days since trying the RAM voltage fix, and for the first 4 days things were looking up and I did not see a single crash even while leaving my computer running all days.

However, to my demise, it had a random freeze just as before yesterday while streaming a Youtube video, and again today as soon as it booted to the desktop and I moved my mouse.

Despite all that, I did finally figure out how to undo my overclock (I needed to do it via the Smart Tweak HD bios menu versus the classic menu), and I am not hoping that THIS will solve the issue.

So yet again, my hopeful solution failed and my computer froze just like before. :banghead:

This time I am trying to underclock my CPU to see if that has an affect. I went from the 3.5GHZ default clock speed to 3.4GHZ. So far my system was able to run for about 12 hours straight without crashing, and today I am going to have it running a live webcam and the Unique Heaven Benchmark all day to see if it crashes.

Also, I am not sure how appropriate these updates are. If I should cease or if there is another method I should be using, I will gladly cooperate. These forums are great and I don't want to contribute to muddying them up.

I have to say that I am getting intermittent freezing on my z97x-UD5H build with 16GB of RAM (2 sticks). I tried setting the ram speed over the weekend to 1333Mhz to see if that helps any. I'll have to check this week if it helps or not. Could be a bug in BIOS but not sure.

Interesting; underclocking the ram will be the next thing I try if I get another freeze, but so far I've been really stable with an underclocked CPU. Not a single crash while having my computer run all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back