Contribute
Register

ALC888 32/64-bit AppleHDA.kext (10.6.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had success getting my audio (ALC888) working in 10.6.4 using multibeast using legacyHDA and HDAEnabler, but for some reason this killed my video. I had my NVidia 8600GT 512M working fine and detected properly in profiler, with a 1920x1080 resolution, but now with the audio working, the video detection now thinks I have 32M of video RAM, and the resolution kicked down to 1024x768. Any ideas what the legacy drivers for the audio would have messed up?

Bansaku said:
Before I start rattling my brain (again), I have to ask you if you have tried my patched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.3? If so, did it work? I will attach an earlier version for you to try. I believe it is from 10.6.1. It still includes the HDAEnabler.

It LOOKS like I have everything working great, and I do mean looks. System Profiler shows Built In Audio. System Preferences - Sound is not greyed out, and shows Headphones and 3 Line Output options. However, no matter what LOOKS working, there is still no sound coming through to the speakers on my monitor/tv. Wonder if this has something to do with my video going out of my Galaxy nVidia 240 GTS through the HDMI port?

Perhaps I need a Digital Toslink Cable for audio out from the motherboard to the back of my monitor/tv, as opposed to the 1/8 inch jack. I will pick up a toslink cable and try and see if I can get audio directly from the motherboard's digital audio output port.

UPDATE (My Mid-Afternoon Top Ten - Sorry David Letterman):
1. Found a vga2vga cable.
2. Shut down my computer, and disconnected the hdmi cable from both the computer and the monitor/tv.
3. Hooked up my vga cable to a dvi adapter, then hooked up the vga cable and adapter to the computer and the monitor/tv.
4. Rebooted, changed resolution from 1024*768 to 1920*1080. BLUE SCREEN. Could not refresh (Anyone know what the command is to revert resolution back?).
5. Rebooted again, screen came up with 1920*1080 and it looks great (nearly as good as with hdmi cable).
6. Checked System Profile and System Preferences - Sound. Everything looked the same, except that there was now a Line Out Built-in Output option in System Preferences - Sound, whereas before there was only 3 Line Out Built-in Line Output options before (still there).
7. Went back to Sound Effects tab in System Preferences - Sound, and voila, I could hear the different alert sounds when testing them.
8. Opened up an AVI file with Movist, and I could not only see the video, but hear the audio.
9. Had to reduce the audio output level as it was pretty loud.
10. HAPPINESS!!! (might look for that toslink cable anyway to see if that fixes it for hdmi).

nesnfsn

Glad to see you got audio working Nesnfsn!
DVS1, Nesnfsn:
As for the nVidia video problems, I have no clue; I have always preferred ATi, simply because a) Apple used them for OEM graphics before nVidia (which at the time 3Dfx reigned supreme) and b) until AMD bought them out, they used to be a Canadian company. The only experience I have with nVidia is with my friend's Geforce 7800GTX 256MB, and as he is still on 10.5.8.

Anyway, are your GFX cards not handled by the bootloader? I can not think of any reason outside of DSDT edits (like trying to enable HDMI audio for example, adding EFI strings etc.) that would cause GFX and audio to conflict. My guess is that when you tried HDMI out to your TV OS X tried to auto-switch to HDMI audio but didn't know how to handle it. Tony said it best on his blog pretaining to HDMI and nVidia:
NOTE: Since the NVIDIA GT 220 or GT 240 has its own audio chip, you may lose audio functionality with your current onboard audio solution.

So, with proper DSDT and HDA edits you SHOULD be able to get sound though HDMI and the normal analogue/digital i/o. Go here for more info. http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/10/hdmi-audio-video-solutions.html

*note* Resolution lock means that QE/CI are not enabled. Sometimes on boot/re-boot you will get a black or blue screen, or a scrambled mosaic desktop. (Normally) This is the GFX card and it's frame-buffer and/or the ROM file not registering properly with OS X. As for the causes, too many to name. :p

It turns out that running multibeast again to re-install Nvenabler worked to re-enable the video properly (once I remembered to run system utilities with it).

I just wonder why the legacy sound installation from multibeast would have caused problems with the video detection.

Bansaku said:
nesnfsn said:
Have tried the kext from Bansaku without success. Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L Motherboard, OS X 10.6.4 (10.6.3 vanilla install with Cartri's BIOS Mod 0.8). Everything but sound working.

Moved AppleHDA.kext to Trash from S/L/E before trying kexts.
Also, before rebooting, ran:
chown -Rf 0:0 /S/L/E (spelled out); and
chmod -Rf 755 /S/L/E.

Tried the download from his forum - Tmongkols-Patched-ALC888-AppleHDA-kext-For-1063-System-Library-Extensions.zip. No sound.
Tried Bansaku's kext, and no sound. System Profiler shows Built-In Audio, but System Preferences show no output nor input device.
Attaching image files from System Profiler and System Preferences).

Can anyone help me get audio to work on this rig???

Before I start rattling my brain (again), I have to ask you if you have tried my patched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.3? If so, did it work? I will attach an earlier version for you to try. I believe it is from 10.6.1. It still includes the HDAEnabler.

Hi brother, what's the difference between the one you posted and the one on the first page? I've used the default multibeast legacyalc888 and enabler, your first and stramlined version. All these failed and only this one worked. Can you explain me why it didn't work? Thanks. :cool:

luke1708 said:
Hi brother, what's the difference between the one you posted and the one on the first page? I've used the default multibeast legacyalc888 and enabler, your first and stramlined version. All these failed and only this one worked. Can you explain me why it didn't work? Thanks. :cool:

I am not certain on why. I have theories, such as maybe it is due to your BIOS version, and Apple also did do some major changes when they updated Snow Leopard to 10.6.3 (see Tonymac's blog) and a lot of people had broken sound. All I know is quite a few people still use that old one I posted. There is no downside to this at all. If it works, it works. :p

Thanks. I think you should put a link to it on your first page for those who do not get the other 2 working. Having a fully stable pc running os x is amazing!!Same performance at 1/10 the cost. Thanks again. Btw(offtopic): have you got 5.1 audio working? I have used the aggregate device method and it tests all speakers fine but i get only 2.1 when playing my music using itunes. Am i doing something wrong somewhere?

luke1708 said:
Thanks. I think you should put a link to it on your first page for those who do not get the other 2 working. Having a fully stable pc running os x is amazing!!Same performance at 1/10 the cost. Thanks again. Btw(offtopic): have you got 5.1 audio working? I have used the aggregate device method and it tests all speakers fine but i get only 2.1 when playing my music using itunes. Am i doing something wrong somewhere?

That's because music in iTunes is only 2ch. not 5.1. The fact that you get the .1 is common to ALL speakers with a subwoofer. So, unless you are playing a movie or game that is encoded in 5.1, the best you will ever get is 2.1*. FYI AC3/DTS/DD and any other encoded audio works 100% through S/PDIF (tosLink).

10.6.5 is days away. I already have the latest AppleHDA ready to roll. Sooo, me thinks that I will in fact link ALL of my mod'd AppleHDA, just for reference. It just occurred to me that most people will look for the latest driver by default, and can easily miss a past post with a working solution. Good idea! :p

*Unless the speaker system has a built in surround decoder, and even then all you are getting is a quasi surround effect, more similar to a 5ch stereo mode that most receivers have these days (and yet are in no ways equal...Sony, Pioneer and every receiver under $400 all sound like garbage in 5ch stereo whereas Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, and Onkyo sound FANFREAK'NTASTIC. I am partial to Yamaha myself).

I have been trying to upload AppleHDA.kext for 10.6.5 but something is not working right; I cannot upload anything. I will keep trying, watch for a new topic under Audio soon as this is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back