Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I finally updated to El Capitan recently-ish (with 10.11.3), and I've run into this very bizarre situation.

It seems that every time I install a new program, or even update a current one, on the next boot I get a never-ending progress bar under the Apple logo on the black screen on startup.

It DOES boot with the USB thumb drive I used to install the system- and after working for maybe an hour (or more) and then rebooting WITHOUT the USB thumb drive, all is back to normal again, booting in seconds from my SSD.

So I have no idea what is causing this or how I can avoid having to boot from the thumb drive every few weeks- it's annoying to have to log into iMessage again every time. I've thought maybe it has something to do with permissions and the way that El Capitan handles them now, but I really have absolutely no idea.

Any similar experience or insight would be really appreciated!

I finally updated to El Capitan recently-ish (with 10.11.3), and I've run into this very bizarre situation.

It seems that every time I install a new program, or even update a current one, on the next boot I get a never-ending progress bar under the Apple logo on the black screen on startup.

It DOES boot with the USB thumb drive I used to install the system- and after working for maybe an hour (or more) and then rebooting WITHOUT the USB thumb drive, all is back to normal again, booting in seconds from my SSD.

So I have no idea what is causing this or how I can avoid having to boot from the thumb drive every few weeks- it's annoying to have to log into iMessage again every time. I've thought maybe it has something to do with permissions and the way that El Capitan handles them now, but I really have absolutely no idea.

Yes! Just experienced same problem! Driving me a little crazy b/c I finally (after many reinstalls fixing sound, etc) got my main Programs (vectorworks and cinema 4d/vray) on my system, and then when I did a restart (because suddenly my headphones weren't available as Audio Output) I get the apple logo which takes forever to reach the end and just stays that way.

Fox11 - Are you able to work on your system after "booting with usb installer"? I mean, I'm figuring I have to erase HD and start all over again, no? Your help would be very appreciated!

FYI - I even tried to do a usb boot and go into terminal to restore system from Time Machine, but even that doesn't seem to do anything. Am I going to have to reinstall everything again??

UPDATE: I tried randomly setting time in Terminal after usb Installer boot using info here http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/04/set-system-time-mac-os-x-command-line/ and I was able to boot into my system via HD. I don't know if it REALLY helped or it randomly just let me in. I used time machine to go back to my set up as of yesterday, so I'm going to retry installing my more apps and see what happens.

Last edited:
Yes! Just experienced same problem! Driving me a little crazy b/c I finally (after many reinstalls fixing sound, etc) got my main Programs (vectorworks and cinema 4d/vray) on my system, and then when I did a restart (because suddenly my headphones weren't available as Audio Output) I get the apple logo which takes forever to reach the end and just stays that way.

Fox11 - Are you able to work on your system after "booting with usb installer"? I mean, I'm figuring I have to erase HD and start all over again, no? Your help would be very appreciated!

FYI - I even tried to do a usb boot and go into terminal to restore system from Time Machine, but even that doesn't seem to do anything. Am I going to have to reinstall everything again??

UPDATE: I tried randomly setting time in Terminal after usb Installer boot using info here http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/04/set-system-time-mac-os-x-command-line/ and I was able to boot into my system via HD. I don't know if it REALLY helped or it randomly just let me in. I used time machine to go back to my set up as of yesterday, so I'm going to retry installing my more apps and see what happens.

I know this is like almost a year later, but I missed your response, and I'm STILL having the same issue! It's driven me to just use Windows as my main OS at home (sadness), but I'd love to go back to Mac. Did you ever figure out the issue? Is it tied to system time???

Not had this problem. If you can't boot using Clover from your boot drive then id look at your Clover Config. Is this the Z77-DS3H?

Not had this problem. If you can't boot using Clover from your boot drive then id look at your Clover Config. Is this the Z77-DS3H?

So I CAN boot right into Mac OS X with no issues... sometimes. On normal boot, it takes like 15 seconds or something, and the progress bar merely flashes on the screen before the login screen appears. But sometimes when I go to boot, it hangs on the startup progress bar forever and never actually gets past that. If I plug in the install USB I created, I can boot into the SSD from there using Clover on the USB just fine.

I am on the Z77-DS3H.

Three pieces of info that may or may not be related to this issue:
  1. It FEELS like if I use Mac OS for an hour or two after booting with the Clover USB that when I go to reboot without the USB, things are working fine again... but not entirely sure what that means.
  2. It seems like I have this boot issue after installing updates/any new software on the Mac OS side, but could be coincidental?
  3. When I run the "Repair Permissions" manually (has to be done through Terminal since they removed it from Disk Utility), I always get an error on var/displaypolicyd- this could be completely unrelated, but just an odd quirk I noticed... I have run this each time, but it has not always fixed the boot problem, so I'm thinking it's unrelated?

So I CAN boot right into Mac OS X with no issues... sometimes. On normal boot, it takes like 15 seconds or something, and the progress bar merely flashes on the screen before the login screen appears. But sometimes when I go to boot, it hangs on the startup progress bar forever and never actually gets past that. If I plug in the install USB I created, I can boot into the SSD from there using Clover on the USB just fine.

I am on the Z77-DS3H.

Three pieces of info that may or may not be related to this issue:
  1. It FEELS like if I use Mac OS for an hour or two after booting with the Clover USB that when I go to reboot without the USB, things are working fine again... but not entirely sure what that means.
  2. It seems like I have this boot issue after installing updates/any new software on the Mac OS side, but could be coincidental?
  3. When I run the "Repair Permissions" manually (has to be done through Terminal since they removed it from Disk Utility), I always get an error on var/displaypolicyd- this could be completely unrelated, but just an odd quirk I noticed... I have run this each time, but it has not always fixed the boot problem, so I'm thinking it's unrelated?

I think the problem is that Clover isn't set up correctly. Ive done a guide. Follow (Guide) Z77-DS3H with Nvidia GTX 760 using Clover UEFI Hotpatch | tonymacx86.com

Hmmm! I'll have to take a look and see if that helps- thanks! So you think it might be an issue with the 760? I'm still on 10.11, also.
It's just so bizarre how intermittent the issue is, since sometimes it boots up JUST FINE. :crazy:

The guide will work with 10.9 straight to 10.12. Not tried Mountain Lion. No I'm using the 760 works fine. I think your Clover setup is the issue. Follow the guide and see what the outcome is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back