Contribute
Register

After 10.8.2 update, serial number has disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to use the native 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext (not the AppleACPIPlatform Rollback) in order for your serial number to show so you won't have problems with iCloud. See the link above to Tony's post, and in that thread a couple posts down Tony has uploaded the 10.8.2 kext.

Dil83

Thank you Dil83. As i said, i restored the rollback version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and deleted OemSensors.kext. Now everything seems to be ok (i see the Mac S/N in system info) but iCloud says "this Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud ID"...

Nvidia works with full hardware acceleration.
Hardware sensors works. Audio works.

I recompiled my DSDT from scratch.
I recreated my smbios.plist and my boot.plist from scratch
I removed network configurations and relative files in Library/Preferences/etc...

I'm trying every possible fix i've found googling, without luck.
iCloud still not working...

I think i'll revert to 10.8.1...

Scrambler

Thank you Dil83. As i said, i restored the rollback version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and deleted OemSensors.kext. Now everything seems to be ok (i see the Mac S/N in system info) but iCloud says "this Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud ID"...

Nvidia works with full hardware acceleration.
Hardware sensors works. Audio works.

I recompiled my DSDT from scratch.
I recreated my smbios.plist and my boot.plist from scratch
I removed network configurations and relative files in Library/Preferences/etc...

I'm trying every possible fix i've found googling, without luck.
iCloud still not working...

I think i'll revert to 10.8.1...

Scrambler

Sorry about that Scrambler, I must have misunderstood your post. I thought your iCloud wasn't working because your serial number still wasn't showing, but as you stated, your serial is showing now so it must be something else. Do you use an ASUS X58 motherboard??

Sorry about that Scrambler, I must have misunderstood your post. I thought your iCloud wasn't working because your serial number still wasn't showing, but as you stated, your serial is showing now so it must be something else. Do you use an ASUS X58 motherboard??

Yes. My current mobo is an Asus P6X58D-E.

Yes. My current mobo is an Asus P6X58D-E.

I see that your motherboard has the Marvell 88E8056 Gigabit LAN controller. From what I've read elsewhere, I believe you need to generate an EFI string or edit your DSDT for that controller in order for iCloud to work properly. What kext are you currently using to get this controller working?

Dil83

Tried a new fresh 10.8.2 installation.

I've generated the EFI string for my network interface and placed it into o.c.B.p but i got blank screen rebooting, so i removed it to get back my video.

I'm using a patched IONetworkingFamily.kext (version 3.0) with AppleYukon2.kext inside it's plugins directory (version 3.2.2b1).
Latest FakeSMC from Multibeast 5.0.2.
My Chameleon version is 2.1-R2064 (Enoch) - Raid setup.

My IOreg shows eth0 build-in flag set to "true", as my NetworkInterfaces.plist file.
I removed my precompiled DSDT, rebooted, created a new DSDT with "DSDT Editor.app", patched with ALC889, fixed it and rebooted again. No changes.

I can login in apple-store but icloud returns a ICLOUD_UNSUPPORTED_DEVICE consolle error ("This Apple ID is valid but it is not an iCloud account" dialog). Clicking on "Sign up iCloud" i get the "This device cannot be used to sign up a free iCloud account" error...

I can't understand why 10.8.1 was running fine and 10.8.2 is getting troubles...

Sorry to disappoint you, but it does not help. I have verified what you said and my "About this Mac" still does not display my serial number, but App Store works just fine.

I am on an Asus P6T WS and have to use the rolled back AppleACPI Platform kext version 1.35. If I run Multibeast and indicate the roll back, I cannot boot, system hangs with the IOAPCI errors. My serial number is present in the /E/smbios.plist, but not on About This Mac or System Report Hardware Overview. The solutions presented here to re-install the ML 10.8.2 kext will not work for my hardware. Any other ideas? It is not in Ethernet card.

Multibeast 5.0.2 has some sort of bug under 10.8.2, cause removes AppleACPIPlatform.kext without installing the rollback one. This causes the KP, with "...unable to find a driver for this platform" error.

If you want to see your S/N try removing the OemSMBIOS.kext plugin in FakeSMC.kext/Content/Plugins.
Let us know if it come back.

Is your iCloud working? Mine not...

I am on an Asus P6T WS and have to use the rolled back AppleACPI Platform kext version 1.35. If I run Multibeast and indicate the roll back, I cannot boot, system hangs with the IOAPCI errors. My serial number is present in the /E/smbios.plist, but not on About This Mac or System Report Hardware Overview. The solutions presented here to re-install the ML 10.8.2 kext will not work for my hardware. Any other ideas? It is not in Ethernet card.

It actually turns out that the OemSMBios.kext plugin for FakeSMC.kext was the problem with my serial number not being displayed all along while using the AppleACPIPlatform Rollback. Also, when you update to 10.8.2, AppleACPIPlatform.kext is updated so you must remove OemSMBios.kext or it will hang during boot and never fully boot up. Keep in mind that OemSMBios.kext can be located in /System/Library/Extensions or with the most recent MultiBeast, it is now installed in the PlugIns folder within FakeSMC.kext.

So, now I have removed OemSMBios.kext and installed the AppleACPIPlatform Rollback. My serial number shows properly now, and my boot time is normal.

Dil83

Tried a new fresh 10.8.2 installation.

I've generated the EFI string for my network interface and placed it into o.c.B.p but i got blank screen rebooting, so i removed it to get back my video.

I'm using a patched IONetworkingFamily.kext (version 3.0) with AppleYukon2.kext inside it's plugins directory (version 3.2.2b1).
Latest FakeSMC from Multibeast 5.0.2.
My Chameleon version is 2.1-R2064 (Enoch) - Raid setup.

My IOreg shows eth0 build-in flag set to "true", as my NetworkInterfaces.plist file.
I removed my precompiled DSDT, rebooted, created a new DSDT with "DSDT Editor.app", patched with ALC889, fixed it and rebooted again. No changes.

I can login in apple-store but icloud returns a ICLOUD_UNSUPPORTED_DEVICE consolle error ("This Apple ID is valid but it is not an iCloud account" dialog). Clicking on "Sign up iCloud" i get the "This device cannot be used to sign up a free iCloud account" error...

I can't understand why 10.8.1 was running fine and 10.8.2 is getting troubles...

I found this code to add into your DSDT for the Marvell 88E8056 Ethernet controller:

Code:
                Device (GIGE)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    OperationRegion (GPIO, SystemIO, 0x0800, 0x06)
                    Field (GPIO, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                    {
                        GO01,   8, 
                        GO02,   8, 
                        GO03,   8, 
                        GO04,   8, 
                        GO05,   8, 
                        GP9,    1
                    }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                    {
                        0x09, 
                        0x03
                    })
                    Method (EWOL, 1, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        If (LEqual (Arg0, One))
                        {
                            Or (GP9, One, GP9)
                        }
                        Else
                        {
                            And (GP9, Zero, GP9)
                        }

If (LEqual (Arg0, GP9))
                        {
                            Return (Zero)
                        }
                        Else
                        {
                            Return (One)
                        }
                    }
                }

I PM'd you the link to where I found this fix. It also includes a guide how to do it properly.

Hopefully this will help

Dil83

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back