Graphics
660 Ti OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi! i want to put a new SSD as system drive.... the buyer guide recomends the Sandisk SSD extreme, but is and oldie SSD ... theres a new version... the EXTREME II...

wich others SSD disks would you recomend?

Hi! i want to put a new SSD as system drive.... the buyer guide recomends the Sandisk SSD extreme, but is and oldie SSD ... theres a new version... the EXTREME II...

wich others SSD disks would you recomend?
Samsung 840 Pro

I actually have a Crucial M4 512Gb 6Gb/s. I know this is more of an economical drive but I am pretty happy with the performance over my older HDD. The one problem I have currently is that my Mobo only has 3Gb/s sata connections. My next upgrade will be a board that supports 6Gb/s. But this seems to be a very negligible difference at best.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110.html

But.... the Sandisk Extreme II is newer than the samsung 840 pro.... why do you think that the Samsing is better than the Sandisk?

Newer doesn't necessarily mean better, and then there is the question of 'better at what, precisely?' Amongst the best current SSDs, some will be better at some performance measures than others. Take a look at AnandTech's review of the SanDisk Extreme II; there are comparisons with the Samsung 840 PRO and other SSDs:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7006/sandisk-extreme-ii-review-480gb

Samsung 840 Pro or Evo model. Intel 520 or 530 series.

ok... ill go for samsung.... but... not sure if pro or evo model.... for a bit more I can go for the EVO with 500 gb....

will you go for the pro or for the evo?

I'm no expert on the matter. (Just going to get my first SSD.)

But, it clearly says on the Anandtech SanDisk Extreme II review, that it is their current favourite.

They also state in the Samsung 840 and EVO reviews that they are using 3 bits per cell, instead of the usual 2 bits per cell. This seems to be a factor that might affect the lifetime of the Samsung drives. They do still state that the 3 bit per cell seems to be reliable, but I'm a bit hesitant, because I want reliability more than extreme speed...

That's why I'll personally probably go for the SanDisk Extreme II as per Anandtech recommendation in their review... I hope it will be reliable and have a long lifetime, and still offer very good speeds.

(Didn't read the reviews very thoroughly though, so I might be wrong. But both of them are probably very good choices.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back