Contribute
Register

advice on my audio production build

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the current climate, I'd go with 1156 and then replace with 1155 in 2 years time

May as well skip 1366....you'd have plenty enough power for Logic unless you're some kind of 400+ track guru

jotef said:
yeah in my normal workflow I will be using several instances of kontakt4, battery and vst synths (but not really big multisample orchestral patches) and i'm going for direct recordings (mostly electric guitar).

I think I will spend a little bit more and go with the i7-870. Who knows what happens in the future. I also checked the x58 boards and their corresponding cpus but I find them to be too expensive. It seems that I have to spend like 550€+ for that, while the GA-H55M-USB3 + i7-870 will be like 340€.

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Hello there,
since you will be using it with Logic I might be able to give you a few pointers.

Logic 9 is not too good at using multiple cpu cores right now, or manage memory (ram) insomuch that native instruments has developed its own memory management system for using with kontakt.

Logic9 in 64bit mode adresses some of the old issues BUT lots of the plug ins are not ready for 64bit therefore you get a ugly pop-up shell everytime you want to use one.
I have a macbook pro i5 and have relented to use logic9 in 32 bit mode for those resons as my workflow is too severely affected by the issues above.

I also see plenty of juice left that logic isn't able to use *in its current incarnation* things might change soon...

Personally I would put as much ram as I could.
several rewievers and field use has shown that for your intended purposes i7 doesn't have a huge advantage on i5

then again it's all a question of budget, the more the better :D

hope this helps!

aero

aero++ said:
jotef said:
yeah in my normal workflow I will be using several instances of kontakt4, battery and vst synths (but not really big multisample orchestral patches) and i'm going for direct recordings (mostly electric guitar).

I think I will spend a little bit more and go with the i7-870. Who knows what happens in the future. I also checked the x58 boards and their corresponding cpus but I find them to be too expensive. It seems that I have to spend like 550€+ for that, while the GA-H55M-USB3 + i7-870 will be like 340€.

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Hello there,
since you will be using it with Logic I might be able to give you a few pointers.

Logic 9 is not too good at using multiple cpu cores right now, or manage memory (ram) insomuch that native instruments has developed its own memory management system for using with kontakt.

Logic9 in 64bit mode adresses some of the old issues BUT lots of the plug ins are not ready for 64bit therefore you get a ugly pop-up shell everytime you want to use one.
I have a macbook pro i5 and have relented to use logic9 in 32 bit mode for those resons as my workflow is too severely affected by the issues above.

I also see plenty of juice left that logic isn't able to use *in its current incarnation* things might change soon...

Personally I would put as much ram as I could.
several rewievers and field use has shown that for your intended purposes i7 doesn't have a huge advantage on i5

then again it's all a question of budget, the more the better :D

hope this helps!

aero

ok that's good and bad news at the same time ;)
I think I might still take the i7-870 as it supports hyper threading (i read that the new logic update will support hyper threading better???), but will skip the x58 idea... it's more expensive not faster and sucks much more power in idle status as fas as i read right.

If i buy the ga-h55m-usb3 as it is a micro-atx will there be enough space for the mugen pcu fan?

thx again guys!

jotef said:
I think I might still take the i7-870 as it supports hyper threading (i read that the new logic update will support hyper threading better???), but will skip the x58 idea... it's more expensive not faster and sucks much more power in idle status as fas as i read right.

If i buy the ga-h55m-usb3 as it is a micro-atx will there be enough space for the mugen pcu fan?

thx again guys!

Hyperthreading is supported on all i3/i5/i7 for socket 1156...only G6950 in socket 1156 has no hyperthreading.

Should be plenty of space for any cooler on microATX board

Lupeto said:
jotef said:

thx again guys!

Hyperthreading is supported on all i3/i5/i7 for socket 1156...only G6950 in socket 1156 has no hyperthreading.

The i5 (quad-core) does not support hyperthreading. That would make it an i7. ;)

Lupeto said:
jotef said:

thx again guys!

hm i checked the website of intel and there stands following under advanced technologies:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48496 i5-760 HT = No
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41315&code=Intel®+Core™+i7-870+Processor+(8M+Cache,+2.93+GHz) i7-870 HT = Yes

i'm confused :?

Vendetta said:
jotef said:
hm i checked the website of intel and there stands following under advanced technologies:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41315&code=Intel®+Core™+i7-870+Processor+(8M+Cache,+2.93+GHz) i7-870 HT = Yes

What are you confused about?

Not anymore, just realized that you were faster ;) you also stated that between the i5-760 and the i7-870 only the latter has Hyper Threading (also stated on the intelwebsite above)

thx!

jotef said:
Vendetta said:
jotef said:

What are you confused about?

Not anymore, just realized that you were faster ;) you also stated that between the i5-760 and the i7-870 only the latter has Hyper Threading (also stated on the intelwebsite above)

thx!

:thumbup:

jotef said:

thx!

sorry...I didn't know that the i5 quad had only 4 threads! (hyperthreading off, though it makes sense)

I'd say that a dual-core dual-thread would be plenty for logic (i3/i5), but go for whatever you can afford after that -D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back