Contribute
Register

Advice on a music sound system

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok thanks anyway
from what i read theres quite a difference between home equipment and studio ones for hiding faults the others for finding faults (granted a over simplification)

partial oversimplification, but not far off the truth. studio monitors are designed to have flat response, which means they do not color the sound at all (well, they try not to). if you're used to listening to consumer equipment you may be used to exaggerated bass and highs. getting used to listening to flat response speakers takes a little training. my living room home theater sound system sounds nice but it's not even close to flat. my studio setup is as close to flat as i can get it. if you're mixing music you don't want your speakers flattering you, you want brutal honesty :)

if u wand the most natural sounding speakers think magnepan
i use the mg3.5r's in my setup
these are not cheap but for the money they are the most natural sounding speakers...
these go from 30-25000hz but require a decent amp to drive them

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 221
if u wand the most natural sounding speakers think magnepan
i use the mg3.5r's in my setup
these are not cheap but for the money they are the most natural sounding speakers...
these go from 30-25000hz but require a decent amp to drive them

doubt they will suit my budget and wasted on my current amp thanks for chiming in all the same

If you are trying to get a sound quality of yesteryear then unfortunately it is not possible. All audio nowadays has been put though a computer at some point - even tracks on vinyl will have been processed on a computer.

In simple terms an analog sound wave is smooth and flowing, the same sound wave, once passed through a computer, even with no eq or compression, comes out the other side as a digital copy and becomes pixelated. So that same sound wave will be a series of 'steps'.

Most audio you hear will have been digitally eq'd and compressed too. The music scene wants music loud more than anything else nowadays, so it will have been maximised and compressed to its limits during the mastering steps. Compression works by narrowing audio spectrum of a sound so the volume can be turned up without clipping the part sound. All this, although it has its purposes and sounds good in moderation, makes the sound less dynamic and natural sounding.

With all this in mind, i would choose a set of speakers in your budget by ear - take some of your favourite music to the shop to listen. But keep in mind that the shops acoustics will sound different to the acoustics in your listening environment. And acoustics will be what makes your listening environment sound good or great.

If you're really hardcore about the perfect acoustic treatment then you could spend thousands getting it done properly, but making a few acoustic panel, or buying 20 or sound acoustic foam tiles will make a world a difference. I have foam tiles on the wall facing me that the speakers are positioned in front of, some on the ceiling directly above my sitting position, and some on both side walls in line with my sitting position. I don't worry about bass traps or anything like that as, truth be told, trying to maintain bass is next to impossible.

One final pointer - decouple the speakers. I have my speakers sat on a granite slab with isolation foam between the granite and speaker.

My speakers were only £130, but they sound fantastic with the room treatment. I'm a music producer and have come to these conclusions over a 15 year period.

I hope this helps

Forgive me for not reading the entire post before putting my thoughts in.

I would personally dedicate a bit more budget to my amp than the speakers but that's not to say I'd use poor speakers. Obviously all parts of your system needs to be of a decent quality but that's the way I would lean.

Even average speakers can make a nice sound from a good source but no speaker can correct for a poor source file or signal further up the line.

A while ago I tried out some floors standing KEFs for £300 but I was unable to find enough difference to my existing £80 Bowers & Wilkins from the mid 90s to justify the money.
Needless to say that what suits you will depend on your environment, size of room and other equipment being used and personal choice in sound.

I really like Rotel amps but they won't suit everyone. Coupled with my B&Ws the sound is great, even when I play MP3s from the computer which I do through an Apple TV2 - over the network to the ATV then stereo leads to the amp.

ATV also has an HDMI port which you could make use of then Toslink to your amp maybe. Although if you're listening to MP3s/M4as then HDMI & Toslink won't make a lot of difference compared to a decent pair of stereo cables.

I forgot to mention that I have a small D/A converter between the ATV and the stereo leads - in case you thought that ATV has stereo outs, it doesn't.

ok thanks guys for chiming in there

some things have changed since i last posted in the living room i have the yamaha rxv 473 and the ma bx5's which sounds great and does a variety of services, i do have some problems with room acoustics not much i can do only a rug and some heavy curtains.

but ive bought some other stuff too
a arcam rpac dac and akg k550 headphones

yamaha a-s500 and mission m33i's which were complete over kill for an office but they were on sale and i do most of my music listening there .(dont judge me)

when i got home from the hi fi shop i realised i forgot speaker cable, so being impatient i hooked up with some heavy electrical cable, and too be honest i cant imagine "speaker cable" to be better it sounds great. the amp is connected with a (very poor ebay) 3.5 mm jack to rca phono cable into the back of my up5 th ive been testing using some 24/96 audio with onboard audio and through the rpac dac.

even with the terrible phono adapter cable i cant tell the difference between onboard audio and the usb dac. now dont get me wrong the usb dac does a hell of a job on my macbook. im just not seeing any benefit over onboard audio on the up5 th

now im starting to think i maybe a little deaf as i cant see any betterment with audio over 16/ 44.1 320kb/s

should also mention i ve been trying out audivarna plus and i like it alot although i would prefer it to be more like an add-on for itunes it can be a small bit buggy by times and they seem to have regular updates so im hopeful.

any thoughts

this audivarna plus seems to make more difference than the onboard soundcard or usb dac (which i cant tell the difference between) music seems to be more free flowing and dynamic. or am i imagining the whole thing

With my audio DAW I have an M-Audio Profire 610 (quite reasonable price apple store UK) and some Behringer MS40 near field monitors which together sound awesome, no need for anything extravagant !

Nige

PS. In another thread I was saying how some older technology had gotten dearer, these Behringer are a point in question. They are 20% dearer now than when I bought them 2 or 3 years ago !

With my audio DAW I have an M-Audio Profire 610 (quite reasonable price apple store UK) and some Behringer MS40 near field monitors which together sound awesome, no need for anything extravagant !

Nige

PS. In another thread I was saying how some older technology had gotten dearer, these Behringer are a point in question. They are 20% dearer now than when I bought them 2 or 3 years ago !

oh im not looking to buy anymore gear and i dont plan to da any recording or mixing its just for listening,
guess i should start another thread on what the real practical value of high resolution audio 24/96 or higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back