Contribute
Register

Administrator status does not seem fully functional in fresh install Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I can get into them just fine. I just hit "get info" edit the permissions and it askes for an admin code, which i have.

on Get Info, you can only change permissions of the file, not ownership of the file.

i guess you don't have the ownership of the files on your older drive, even you can have write access, you still don't control them, to get control, run this:

sudo chown -R $USER:staff some_file_or_dir

do not do:

sudo chown -R $USER:staff root_dir_of_drive

as this will mess up the ownership of all files on your old drive.

I want to change the ownership of everything. I don't want to have to go and do this for every file. That would be a nightmare. I rad that other command and it doesn't seem to be able to find it. Maybe I got the command wrong.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 16.24.40.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 16.24.40.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 38
I want to change the ownership of everything. I don't want to have to go and do this for every file. That would be a nightmare. I rad that other command and it doesn't seem to be able to find it. Maybe I got the command wrong.

there is a space between 2015 and Storage so you have to use 2015\ Storage, plus it is /Volumes not /volumes, you need caps V

you can also type ls -la and then drag the files from Finder to terminal.app and then hit Enter.

This is why I suck at terminal. I'm Dyslexic :crazy:
But we got there in the end. Thanks for your patients.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 16.32.29.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 16.32.29.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 38
this one if from a file a red no entry circle on it. Only some do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 16.35.50.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 16.35.50.png
    509.9 KB · Views: 33
This is why I suck at terminal. I'm Dyslexic :crazy:
But we got there in the end. Thanks for your patients.

it's ok for unix newbie. so you see the owner ship of those files, 503 is the user id of your previous macOS, staff is the group which is the same, while your current user id is 501, that's why you got this problem

again, you don't need to change the file or dir permission, you just need to change the ownership:

sudo chown -R $USER:staff some_file_or_dir

and will i have to do this for each folder/file? or just the root folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back