Administrator status does not seem fully functional in fresh install Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, try again

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 16.39.34.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 16.39.34.png
    388.4 KB · Views: 43
and will i have to do this for each folder/file? or just the root folder?

for your previous user's home dir, you just need to change the ownership of paulrayner2 folder.

ok, try again

you did it correct, but because these are sensitive data, you don't have ownership, you can't access, which is a normal thing. change the ownership with chown command and then you'll be fine.

Worked beautifully! thanks for that mate, you're a legend

Worked beautifully! thanks for that mate, you're a legend

:) by the way you may want to learn some basic unix stuff, keywords: basic bash commands ; unix file permission and ownership. just google it.

OK thanks. Will do. One last question, can I use that command on a whole drive if I just drag the volume into the terminal after that command?

OK thanks. Will do. One last question, can I use that command on a whole drive if I just drag the volume into the terminal after that command?

yes you can. but there are lots of files in, for example, /Volumes/your_drive/System/, with root:wheel ownership, if you change it to $USER:staff, you may not be able to boot your computer with the old drive, and it is not necessary to do that. you only need to chown of this dir:

/Volumes/Old_Drive_name/Users/Previous_user_name

okydoky. Thanks heaps

@justinhe Hi there friend. You helped me with ownership issues last year, and I seem to be having similar issues again after a fresh install, but despite my own investigations into it, I cannot seem to figure it out myself.
I ran into the problem when trying to restore my davinci resolve database:
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 3.03.54 PM.png
And looking back at your advice here, I've looked into what the problem could be, but I don't want to do something silly like change the permission of my root folder, but I cannot see any difference in the ownership except on the root folders...? See attached investigation from the terminal.

Attachments

• Terminal Saved Output.pdf
    28.1 KB · Views: 56
There's definately somthing weird going on here, because I just got this error, trying to install an ICC profile after calibrating my screen in DisplayCal:

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.15.46 PM.png

but then when I tried to install it "for current user only", it installed:

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.17.41 PM.png

This leads me to believe that I'm not the admin on my machine. But I am if you look in System Preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back