Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your help. I'll just wait until that's released and see how it goes. It's not absolutely imperative that I have 120Hz in macOS at 2560x1440 HiDPI, but it'd be nice to have. I mostly use the Acer Nitro monitor for gaming in Windows and as my secondary screen for design work in macOS. It's more of an annoying 'why isn't this working when it should?' kind of puzzle :)
There is a public beta of SwitchResX 4.9.1a2 with the fix. It also has an option to set the "All refresh rates" option.

Ah looks like there's a few minor differences in pixel clock and other specs.
533 MHz is the CVT-RB timing. 594 MHz is the HDMI 2.0 timing. HDMI uses multiples of 247 MHz.

There is a public beta of SwitchResX 4.9.1a2 with the fix. It also has an option to set the "All refresh rates" option.

Hey joevt, you've been very helpful here! Could you please look at my similar issue posted in this thread, would be really appreciated. :shifty: - trying to get my 4k running at 120hz

Unfortunately everything in this thread didn't work exactly as stated for me, so if anyone else is having the same problem, I got it to work with the following plist file. I still have to use SwitchResX to set the resolution, but close enough!

This achieves 3440x1450 resolution on a 34WK95U hooked up to a 2017 15" MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>DisplayProductName</key>
  <string>LG HDR 5K</string>
  <key>DisplayProductID</key>
  <integer>30497</integer>
  <key>DisplayVendorID</key>
  <integer>40557</integer>
  <key>scale-resolutions</key>
  <array>
    <data>AAANcAAABaoAAAABACAAAA==</data>
    <data>AAAa4AAAC1QAAAABACAAAA==</data>
  </array>
</dict>
</plist>

Unfortunately everything in this thread didn't work exactly as stated for me, so if anyone else is having the same problem, I got it to work with the following plist file. I still have to use SwitchResX to set the resolution, but close enough!

This achieves 3440x1450 resolution on a 34WK95U hooked up to a 2017 15" MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt.
You should include the path of the file.
Also, if you have SwitchResX, then you don't have to edit the file yourself to create the scaled resolutions.

You should include the path of the file.
Also, if you have SwitchResX, then you don't have to edit the file yourself to create the scaled resolutions.

SwitchResX would not save a custom resolution no matter what I tried. Probably because my trial expired.

The path is generated from the tool I linked so yours might be different. Mine is /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-9e6d/DisplayProductID-7721

Thank you for this post! I have imac 27 5k and am working in php storm and text in 2048x1152 is too big and 2560x1440 is to small. Now the problem solved! I created new 2304x1296 resolution (size between theese) and its perfect! Users who have imac must disable SIP thru recovery mode (cmd+r on reboot) with csrutil disabled command too copy custom .plist to system. Also have two hackintoshes with 4k displays, where only 1080p mode and soon will try this method on them. Thank you again!!

@joevt I got the LG 27UK850 (27inch 4k) paired with an Optiplex 9020 SFF that uses the Intel HD4600. I'm unable to make the scaling to work, meaning the display should be running at 4k resolution while I have a scaled HiDPI of 2560x1440. I can make it work at 2560x1440 but not at HiDPI.

I'm starting to think this is a limitation in the iGPU or the driver and that's why I'm unable to make it run how I want it. Do you have any info on this? I've researched the HD4600 and looks like it can do 4k@60hz but couldn't find anything related to the scaling part.

Thanks so much!

EDIT/UPDATE: I'm able to run the display at full 4k but "looks like" 2560x1440. The problem seems that macOS is not using HiDPI elements, so everything looks super blurry. Can't find a way to enable the HiDPI :/

Last edited:
@joevt I got the LG 27UK850 (27inch 4k) paired with an Optiplex 9020 SFF that uses the Intel HD4600. I'm unable to make the scaling to work, meaning the display should be running at 4k resolution while I have a scaled HiDPI of 2560x1440. I can make it work at 2560x1440 but not at HiDPI.

I'm starting to think this is a limitation in the iGPU or the driver and that's why I'm unable to make it run how I want it. Do you have any info on this? I've researched the HD4600 and looks like it can do 4k@60hz but couldn't find anything related to the scaling part.

Thanks so much!

EDIT/UPDATE: I'm able to run the display at full 4k but "looks like" 2560x1440. The problem seems that macOS is not using HiDPI elements, so everything looks super blurry. Can't find a way to enable the HiDPI :/
Did you make a 5120x2880 scaled resolution using SwitchResX? There needs to be a 5120x2880 scaled resolution to give you a 2560x1440 HiDPI resolution.

You have a 4K resolution, so you should also have a looks like "1920x1080" HiDPI resolution.

Check the current value of the DisplayResolutionEnabled setting:
Code:
sudo defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled

If it's not 1 then change it and restart (or just logout/login):
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

You might also have to delete DisplayResolutionDisabled:
Code:
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionDisabled

Did you make a 5120x2880 scaled resolution using SwitchResX? There needs to be a 5120x2880 scaled resolution to give you a 2560x1440 HiDPI resolution.

You have a 4K resolution, so you should also have a looks like "1920x1080" HiDPI resolution.

Check the current value of the DisplayResolutionEnabled setting:
Code:
sudo defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled

If it's not 1 then change it and restart (or just logout/login):
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

You might also have to delete DisplayResolutionDisabled:
Code:
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionDisabled
Thanks so much @joevt

Yes, both commands returned correctly
Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 15.13.21.png

Also as I saw your previous messages I installed the SwitchResX beta and created the file using this website, but looks like SwitchResX overwrite it?. Here's a few screenshots, hopefully showing everything.
Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 15.13.33.png

Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 15.13.36.png

Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 15.13.42.png

On this last screen, if I either try to activate the 2560x1440 or 5120x2880, none of them will work. The screen will turn black but I will return at the previous resolution (1920x1080@2x) (full 4k resolution for the monitor)

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Adding the Export EDID file created by SwitchResX. I have also tried deleting the display override propertyList file created and let SwitchResX handle it, but I'm getting same results.

Attachments

• LG HDR 4K.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Also as I saw your previous messages I installed the SwitchResX beta and created the file using this website, but looks like SwitchResX overwrite it?. Here's a few screenshots, hopefully showing everything.
You can look at the modification dates in the Overrides folder for the manufacturer. The file created by SwitchResX uses the year and week file name convention instead of the product ID. Post a screen shot of the manufacturer folder.

On this last screen, if I either try to activate the 2560x1440 or 5120x2880, none of them will work. The screen will turn black but I will return at the previous resolution (1920x1080@2x) (full 4k resolution for the monitor)
Strange that 2560x1440 scaled doesn't work. Show a screenshot of the Current Resolutions tab so we can see the supported scaled resolutions. Show a screenshot of the 2560x1440 timing information (double click in Current Resolutions - shows pixel clock and blanking info).

I don't know if the Intel HD4600 is capable of scaling 5120x2880 down to 4K. Can you find an example of any Mac or Hackintosh that shows this? How much VRAM is available? Try creating a scaled resolution that is 4096x2304 wide. Then also try 4064x2286 and 4128x2322. Maybe there's a 4K (4096) limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back