Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
That does not tell you what you got. macOS only shows info about the frame buffer, not the signal that is sent to the monitor. You need to view the timing info (Pixel Clock, Active, Scaled To, Scan Rate) of the current resolution by double clicking it in the Current Resolutions tab of SwitchResX.

They should be easy to read if you stick your face in the monitor. But if the tiny letters are blurry even when you do that, then it may be outputting a lower resolution (use SwitchResX to check the timing info).

What's the second last setting (timing info?).

The cursor thing is strange. What if you turn on zoom and zoom in/out (Accessibility preferences panel - there are keyboard shortcuts listed there)?

Attach AGDCDiagnose output here.

I changed the monitor settings from Display Port 1.4 to 1.2 and the mouse issue is fixed, but now I'm stuck with 30Hz.

Any ideas?

Here's the AGDCDiagnose output
Some interesting things:

The MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) doesn't have a dGPU so all displays are connected to the iGPU (Intel Iris Graphics 540).

The MBP has a 2560x1600 display but the EDID includes the 2880x1800 timing from the 15-inch. The 2880x1800 timing is removed by the Apple provided override file. The display uses a non standard DisplayPort lane rate of 3.24 Gbps (for four lanes) which happens to be just enough for 2880x1800@60Hz 10bpc. I guess this saves energy over the standard DisplayPort 1.2 rate of 5.4 Gbps per lane.

The LG 34WK95U is connected via Thunderbolt as dual-link SST DisplayPort 1.2. That means its using two DisplayPort 1.2 connections to achieve 2560x2160 because a single DisplayPort 1.2 signal does not have enough bandwidth for the 703 MHz timing at 10bpc (HBR2 8bpc allows up to 720 MHz so maybe it could work with a single DisplayPort 1.2 connection?)

Here goes, in attach, the details when using the monitor directly connected to the computer via Thunderbolt.
Looks like it's working fine via Thunderbolt (see my previous paragraph).

I changed the monitor settings from Display Port 1.4 to 1.2 and the mouse issue is fixed, but now I'm stuck with 30Hz.
Any ideas?
I don't see a 5120x2160x30Hz timing in the EDIDs or overlay for the dual-link SST (Thunderbolt) mode. Is this 30Hz single cable DisplayPort mode? I need a separate AGDCDiagnose output for that connection.

Maybe the 720 MHz that DisplayPort 1.2 allows is not enough for the 703 MHz 8bpc timing? Or maybe you need to add the 60Hz timing (maybe the DisplayPort 1.2 mode removes the 60Hz option - therefore we need two AGDCDiagnose outputs for single cable mode - one with DisplayPort set to 1.2 and another with DisplayPort set to 1.4). Give each file a unique name.

Hello, I'm using a hackintosh with mac os sierra
Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 5.18.43 PM.png

I just bought samsung C24F390 and of course I have a big problem with blurry text. I did everything as described in the opening post but the 1920x1080 HDPI doesn't look any better. What should I do? What resolution might help? here's a img of all resolutions available :
Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 5.21.37 PM.png

I just bought samsung C24F390 and of course I have a big problem with blurry text. I did everything as described in the opening post but the 1920x1080 HDPI doesn't look any better. What should I do? What resolution might help? here's a img of all resolutions available :
The Samsung C24F390 is only a 1920x1080 display. You should not be using any HiDPI modes with a low res display like that. You should use the "1080p60 (NTSC)" mode. If you want HiDPI, you should get a 4K display.

2560x1440 HiDPI looks best on a 5120x2880 display, but it still looks better than 2560x1440 Non-HiDPI on a 3840x2160 display.

1920x1080 HiDPI looks best on a 3840x2160 display, but if the display is 27 inches then things drawn on the screen seem too large - take up too much space. This is why Mirceaaa wants to use a 2560x1440 mode. He is using DisplayLink instead of a GPU, so 2560x1440 non-HiDPI might be better because less pixels will perform better over DisplayLink (if it doesn't try to scale it up to 3840x2160).

How did you paste that file? DisplayProductID-7720 to this location /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-1e6d

How did you paste that file? DisplayProductID-7720 to this location /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-1e6d
I just make the changes using SwitchResX.

If you don't have SwitchResX then you should use the command line. Use sudo mount -uw / to add write permission to the root mount point. Use cp to copy a file. mv to rename a file or move a file. mkdir to make a folder. Put sudo before each command because you are dealing with folders that you don't have write access to.

Alright thank you, I figure out it, the process was, first choose one of these steps to disable SIP
  1. Red Cross at boot > Terminal > csrutil disable > Reboot
  2. Opened config.plist > RT Variables > CsrActivateConfig > Disable SIP: 0x67
  3. Boot into Clover EFI Menu (more info google "Enable & Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) on a Hackintosh"
After these tries, I was still not successful to paste the file to the destination folder

/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-1e6d

I was getting Read-only file system notification, so I needed to do additional research because csrutil status was saying System Integrity Protection status: disabled

FIX: I needed to type in "sudo mount -uw /"

After that, I was able to copy/paste DisplayProductID-7720 file with this command:

sudo cp ~/Downloads/DisplayProductID-7720 /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-1e6d/

I also have a LG 34WK95U which I need to drive via displayport.
The solution with creating the override for DisplayProductID-7720 works great on the monitor and for the lower resolutions - up to 2560x1080. It will drive the display with HiDPI and 60hz.

But going to 3360x1417 and above will be at 30hz only. These are not available in SwitchResX.

Now if I set the DisplayPort version to 1.4, I can select 3360x1417 HiDPI at 60hz, but the cursor will be off. It's accurate in the top left corner, but going toward the screen center you won't be able to accurately click.

Are you guys able to drive the screen at 3360x1417 HiDPI at 60hz (DisplayPort 1.4) ?

So I have problem with low-scaled resolutions. I'm running hackintosh on a Coffee-Lake iGPU with 49-inch LG monitor connected via display port (49WL95C-W). It's showing as 4k monitor in display menu preferences. I used attached guide to setup display override, but I cannot seem to manage to run it in proper HiDPI mode even with display overrides (it only shows 5120x1440 (low resolution) in menus). I kinda ran out of ideas on how to fix this. Attaching debug info and override file, maybe someone can help me with this ...

1580665684262.png

Attachments

• AGDCDiagnose_a.txt
    19.3 KB · Views: 224
  • DisplayProductID-9e7b.plist
    436 bytes · Views: 104
So I have problem with low-scaled resolutions. I'm running hackintosh on a Coffee-Lake iGPU with 49-inch LG monitor connected via display port (49WL95C-W). It's showing as 4k monitor in display menu preferences. I used attached guide to setup display override, but I cannot seem to manage to run it in proper HiDPI mode even with display overrides (it only shows 5120x1440 (low resolution) in menus). I kinda ran out of ideas on how to fix this. Attaching debug info and override file, maybe someone can help me with this ...

View attachment 448023
macOS Intel Graphics driver doesn't allow resolutions wider than 4K. I don't know why. I tried making an unsuccessful patch. I don't know what is required to get 5120 width. I haven't tried Linux or checked Linux driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back