Contribute
Register

Adding 8560w to Install Guide and Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
which after byteswapping and a bit of google fu translate to:
Code:
Ven/DevID  Subsystem  FCC ID?      - Chipset  - Description and other cards with different subsystem id.
14e4:4353  103c1510  QDS-BRCM1041  - BCM43225 - Dell 1520
14e4:4353  103c1509                - BCM43224 - WMIB-275N Half-size Mini PCIe Card -
14e4:4727  103c145c  QDS-BRCM1050  - BCM4313  - Dell Wireless 1501/1503/1701 Half Mini Card
168c:0030  103c1627  PPD-AR5BHB112 - AR9380   - HB112 802.11abgn 3×3 Wi-Fi Adapter

Thanks for compiling that list! Looks like some kind of magic with that hex fu you made :)

So you're saying that there is not only one atheros card whitelisted on the 8560w but three Broadcom as well? That would be great! But in post #2813 enieng tried to work with a HP-branded Broadcom 43224HMS (582564-001), but wasn't successful. RehabMan guessed, that the card was not a fit to a 8560w, and the mentioned spare part number hints into that direction as it is not listed for it.

Thanks for compiling that list! Looks like some kind of magic with that hex fu you made :)

So you're saying that there is not only one atheros card whitelisted on the 8560w but three Broadcom as well? That would be great! But in post #2813 enieng tried to work with a HP-branded Broadcom 43224HMS (582564-001), but wasn't successful. RehabMan guessed, that the card was not a fit to a 8560w, and the mentioned spare part number hints into that direction as it is not listed for it.

Someone with a such an HP-branded BCM43224 should verify the subvendor ids on the card.

My old 8460p:

14e4:4353 103c1509 - BCM43224 - WMIB-275N Half-size Mini PCIe Card -

My old 8460p:

14e4:4353 103c1509 - BCM43224 - WMIB-275N Half-size Mini PCIe Card -

It matches:
Code:
14e4:4353  103c1509                - BCM43224 - WMIB-275N Half-size Mini PCIe Card -

Thanks for that hint! After many times merging and rebooting (at least 15x) it could be tracked down to the SMBIOS part. Attached are the following plists (all are sorted for easier comparison):

• config_orig.plist: The working one from the beginning
  • config_PBI.plist: The one generated by PBI
  • config.plist: the merged one which still boots

Currently working: Audio, Battery(!), Graphics
I don't know about backlight control, PowerManagement and other stuff, but currently this a quite good shape.

I will be on vacation over the weekend. After that I can track it down which of the SMBIOS parameters is relevant. In #1264 it was already mentioned that a change in SMBIOS is necessary, so it could be taken as a confirmation?

Soooo, it tested a little bit more:

Feature Status Description
Sleep broken System goes to sleep by Apple->Sleep after 15secs. When waking the desktop screen is visible for 1sec but then it reboots directly.
Closing the lid does not trigger sleep mode (at least screen is turned off when closed and turned on when reopen)
VGA broken SysPrefs->Displays does not show that display, and on the display it also does not show anything
brightness broken does not work (F9 / F10), also no brightness slider in SysPrefs->Displays
Maybe because no Intel HD graphics, only Nvidia?
Displayport ? currently have no cable, trying to organise one
SD Card Reader works
USB 2.0/3.0 works both works, USB 3.0 gives with my simple drive: 70MB read, 60MB write
Powermanagement works seems to work, Intel Power Gadget shows different lines between idle and high usage. Frequency goes down to 0,8GHz
in ioreg: PM, AppleLPC loaded, no NullCPU
Microphone intern/Line-In works both works (see on System Preferences -> Sound for switching between them)
Makes dication a breeze!
Headphone works
volume keys works F6/F7 just without fn key
Webcam works

Is there something else to test?

@nguyenmac: Is there still something you need for adding to clover? In post #30 the final config.plist has been created. Is it necessary to test SMBIOS part as well? It seems, that this configuration does its job. Also I understood, that the SMBIOS entries relate to each other. So changing one entry there makes it not consistent to the other entries?

Soooo, it tested a little bit more:
Feature Status Description
Sleep broken System goes to sleep by Apple->Sleep after 15secs. When waking the desktop screen is visible for 1sec but then it reboots directly. Closing the lid does not trigger sleep mode (at least screen is turned off when closed and turned on when reopen)
VGA broken SysPrefs->Displays does not show that display, and on the display it also does not show anything
brightness broken does not work (F9 / F10), also no brightness slider in SysPrefs->Displays Maybe because no Intel HD graphics, only Nvidia?
Displayport ? currently have no cable, trying to organise one
SD Card Reader works
USB 2.0/3.0 works both works, USB 3.0 gives with my simple drive: 70MB read, 60MB write
Powermanagement works seems to work, Intel Power Gadget shows different lines between idle and high usage. Frequency goes down to 0,8GHz in ioreg: PM, AppleLPC loaded, no NullCPU
Microphone intern/Line-In works both works (see on System Preferences -> Sound for switching between them) Makes dication a breeze!
Headphone works
volume keys works F6/F7 just without fn key
Webcam works
Is there something else to test? @nguyenmac: Is there still something you need for adding to clover? In post #30 the final config.plist has been created. Is it necessary to test SMBIOS part as well? It seems, that this configuration does its job. Also I understood, that the SMBIOS entries relate to each other. So changing one entry there makes it not consistent to the other entries?
Please post your /EFI/Clover folder, I will try something with your brightness and VGA (you should dump your VGA BIOS if possible). Because SMBIOS will affect both CPU and GPU performance, it's better to use a Macbook Pro 8,x for your system (SandyBridge). You can try 8,1 8,2 8,3.

Please post your /EFI/Clover folder, I will try something with your brightness and VGA (you should dump your VGA BIOS if possible).

Thanks a lot, here it is attached. I used "DarwinDumper" to extract the VGA BIOS.

Because SMBIOS will affect both CPU and GPU performance, it's better to use a Macbook Pro 8,x for your system (SandyBridge). You can try 8,1 8,2 8,3.
Ok, understood, the SMBIOS should fit to the current system to better support it. Is that valid for the GPU as well? Because in that 8,x macbook pro line, only AMD cards have been built in. 9,x have Nvidia but also Intel Ivy, 10,x have also Nvidia but also Ivy and Retina.

My current configured model is MacBookPro10,1 with Board ID Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F which is a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012). Using the model given with clover default (8,2; Mac-94245A3940C91C80) didn't boot (post #30). Nevertheless, i'll try 8,1 and 8,3 so we're having facts :)

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 200
  • 10DE.0DDA.006C.006F.vga.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 149
Use this DSDT.aml and SSDT-1.aml (I don't know where you get that SSDT-1.aml because I can't open it by MacIASL)

Then run PBI CE and select SSDT Generator to generate SSDT.aml

Attachments

• 8560w.zip
    16.7 KB · Views: 172
Use this DSDT.aml and SSDT-1.aml (I don't know where you get that SSDT-1.aml because I can't open it by MacIASL)

Then run PBI CE and select SSDT Generator to generate SSDT.aml

Done successfully with PBI 6.2.17, and here it is. Thanks for adding 8560w to PBI, I saw the commit from yesterday :thumbup:

If you want, I'll reproduce the whole installing process from scratch. First renaming EFI to EFI2 and the running the full installation. Then all .aml should be fresh and we'll see what happens :)

Attachments

• clover_acpi_patched.zip
    17.3 KB · Views: 184
Done successfully with PBI 6.2.17, and here it is. Thanks for adding 8560w to PBI, I saw the commit from yesterday :thumbup: If you want, I'll reproduce the whole installing process from scratch. First renaming EFI to EFI2 and the running the full installation. Then all .aml should be fresh and we'll see what happens :)
Did you try my dsdt and ssdt, does it work? If not work, please try the latest PBI CE 6.2.17 (kext + config/dsdt patch), make sure you still have /EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin/ files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back