Contribute
Register

Adding 8560w to Install Guide and Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let you know, you could update the 1st post since sound now works.

Also, assuming that your bios whitelist is the same as my 8460p (if not, you could send me a EFI dump and I'd get you the allowed PCI IDs for supported cards), you can make Atheros 928x cards work, by means of editing the eeprom on them and afterwards using RehabMan's wonderful FakePCIID.kext.

I'll do the check in the evening.

Yep, I tested a fallback already :) Starting the OSX Installer from USB and starting the terminal there does provide a way back. Is it possible to use Clover terminal for this? Or is there another faster way for getting back?

You can boot to os x from that usb

If not you should try changing this into the generated config.plist by PBI CE:
- LoadVBIOS=true
- Inject AMD = false
- Inject nVidia=true/false
- DropOEM SSDT=false.

Unfortunately, it is not working. I tried to following configurations:

- LoadVBIOS: It was already true in PBI plist and the working plist, so I did not change
- Inject AMD: was true, changed to false
- Inject nVidia: with false, there was a hard reset during boot. with true, I could boot, but not to the yosemite login screen. the screen was just black. BUT: when pressing some keys, there was sound. my guess is, that it booted correctly, but the screen was not visible
DropOEM: was true. when set to false, I got a panic in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Attached the nearly working config.plist which gave me the black screen. If you need further files or logs, i will not revert the state today.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7 KB · Views: 286
  • boot.log
    20 KB · Views: 206
Because of the added boot parameter "dart=0" in contrast to the working plist I disabled in BIOS VT-x and VT-d (read it somewhere, that these are connected), just for the case. Booting (disabling VT, without dart=0) was not successful, again the blank screen, but a "beep" when pressing a key.

Just to let you know, you could update the 1st post since sound now works.

Also, assuming that your bios whitelist is the same as my 8460p (if not, you could send me a EFI dump and I'd get you the allowed PCI IDs for supported cards), you can make Atheros 928x cards work, by means of editing the eeprom on them and afterwards using RehabMan's wonderful FakePCIID.kext.
Thanks for the hint and the offer. Post #1 has been updated. It will be rewritten once the 8560w is in the "default" way to install OSX on it. I have a feeling we are on a good way to it :)

I compare the spare part numbers for your and mine model to see if there is a match. Even the 8560p and 8560w have different allowed cards (for 8560p they are the same as 8460p).

According to Maintenance and Service Guide for 8460p you have the following wifi options:

Model Features spare part number
Intel Wi-Fi Link 6300 802.11a/b/g/n 572511-001
Broadcom 43224AGN 802.11a/b/g/draft-n 582564-002
Broadcom 4313AGN 802.11a/b/g/draft-n 593836-001
Intel Wi-Fi Link 1000 593530-001
Atheros HB112AGN 802.11a/b/g/n 3x3 630435-001

8560w are:

Model Features spare part number
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 802.11 3x3 a/g/n 572511-001
Intel Centrino Advanced N 6205 2x2 a/b/g/n 631954-001
Atheros WiFI Adapter 802.11 3x3 a/g/n 630435-001

Thanks to the numbers, we have a match! Interestingly, your service manual is more concrete about the allowed model.

How to do the EFI dump? That would be interesting to have a look into it. For the installation post #175 would be the guide. That you meant be editing the eeprom? I also read somewhere, that a dual booted windows could not handle the card because of the "wrong" PCI ID. Is that true? If so, how could this be solved, if there is any solution?

Unfortunately, it is not working. I tried to following configurations:

- LoadVBIOS: It was already true in PBI plist and the working plist, so I did not change
- Inject AMD: was true, changed to false
- Inject nVidia: with false, there was a hard reset during boot. with true, I could boot, but not to the yosemite login screen. the screen was just black. BUT: when pressing some keys, there was sound. my guess is, that it booted correctly, but the screen was not visible
DropOEM: was true. when set to false, I got a panic in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Attached the nearly working config.plist which gave me the black screen. If you need further files or logs, i will not revert the state today.

So strange, the config.plist in your link has LoadVBIOS=true, Inject AMD=false, InjectnVidia=false, DropOEM=false, and it works while mine doesn't.

Until I find what really important settings in the working config.plist compared to my config.plist are, I can't add it in PBI CE. I hope you can help me with that, although it will be time consuming and boring as hell. If you can't, you should write a specific guide for this laptop in case others want to install.

Because of the added boot parameter "dart=0" in contrast to the working plist I disabled in BIOS VT-x and VT-d (read it somewhere, that these are connected), just for the case. Booting (disabling VT, without dart=0) was not successful, again the blank screen, but a "beep" when pressing a key.

Use dart=0.

I hope you can help me with that, although it will be time consuming and boring as hell.

I like hell, you have my support in finding the relevant switch :headbang:
InjectnVidia=false, DropOEM=false? Maybe the wrong plist has been added? Both set to true didn't work, only the blank screen then. I check it in the evening. Currently I'm using an Ubuntu Live-USB (14.04 LTS), it boots faster and gives a graphical text editor. Maybe I mounted something wrong.

Fortunately we have a working plist in #3. Is it reasonable to do a diff between those to?

Use dart=0.
Yep, the tests have been made with that parameter. It has been removed for the last test, but was not successful. I'll readd the parameter.

Yep, the tests have been made with that parameter. It has been removed for the last test, but was not successful. I'll readd the parameter.

If you have a working config.plist and a non-working config.plist, compare them for differences. Then change non-working to match working by one setting at a time.

It is easy to get differences between two plist files by ordering each setting and sub-setting in alpha order. Use Xcode with each side-by-side to set the order in exact alpha order. Then use diff or diffmerge to compare.

It is easy to get differences between two plist files by ordering each setting and sub-setting in alpha order.
Good idea! Is there some tool for that sorting? A plist is some kind of XML, isn't it? Maybe some python/perl/... shell script or online tool? Because manually takes some time and is error prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back