Contribute
Register

Actual Mac Pro OSX 10.10.3--GTX980 SC--(Out of Options)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Macbook Pro 8,2
CPU
2.4 Ghz i7
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Everyone,

I've built several hackintoshes and really enjoyed it but eventually gave/sold them all and bought a Mac Pro from Apple.

Build: Mac Pro 5,1

Use:
  • Virtualizing Windows Server Tech Preview and 2012 (Practicing integration with Active Directory)
  • Running MAC OSX Server and Plex Media Server (OD, Time Machine, Web Server, etc.)
  • Video Editing
  • General Business Use

Problem:
I had a Sapphire 9750 installed when I updated to 10.10.3. The card already had issues so I thought it was the card. I got a replacement card and installed it but this didn't help. I returned the card and ordered an EVGA GTX980 SC and it still didn't work. At this point I begin to understand that Apple screwed me with the 10.10.3 update. Supplemental Update did nothing. Worthless.

Troubleshooting Steps:
This guy, ME! I made a backup using Carbon Copy Cloner before the update. So I installed a basic AMD card and booted to it after reversing changes by trim enabler (This described here). I booted the Backup Running 10.10.2 and installed CUDA from NVidia and Web Drivers, rebooted and shut it down. I swapped out the cards and proceeded to test the ports. Everything worked under 10.10.2. When I tried all this under 10.10.3 I still got nothing but a black screen. Accessing the 10.10.3 volume by booting it without external graphics card.

Willing to help anyone who needs a little genuine mac pro help.

I had a Sapphire 9750 installed when I updated to 10.10.3.
I think you've got a typo here on the graphics card model - should it be 7950?

Did you update the web drivers? The ones that are for 10.10.2 aren't supported in 10.10.3. The drivers check for the OS X build number and if it doesn't match then the drivers won't load and you get a black screen or it loads without and acceleration.

Hey Everyone,

I've built several hackintoshes and really enjoyed it but eventually gave/sold them all and bought a Mac Pro from Apple.

Build: Mac Pro 5,1

Use:
  • Virtualizing Windows Server Tech Preview and 2012 (Practicing integration with Active Directory)
  • Running MAC OSX Server and Plex Media Server (OD, Time Machine, Web Server, etc.)
  • Video Editing
  • General Business Use

Problem:
I had a Sapphire 9750 installed when I updated to 10.10.3. The card already had issues so I thought it was the card. I got a replacement card and installed it but this didn't help. I returned the card and ordered an EVGA GTX980 SC and it still didn't work. At this point I begin to understand that Apple screwed me with the 10.10.3 update. Supplemental Update did nothing. Worthless.

Troubleshooting Steps:
This guy, ME! I made a backup using Carbon Copy Cloner before the update. So I installed a basic AMD card and booted to it after reversing changes by trim enabler (This described here). I booted the Backup Running 10.10.2 and installed CUDA from NVidia and Web Drivers, rebooted and shut it down. I swapped out the cards and proceeded to test the ports. Everything worked under 10.10.2. When I tried all this under 10.10.3 I still got nothing but a black screen. Accessing the 10.10.3 volume by booting it without external graphics card.

Willing to help anyone who needs a little genuine mac pro help.

I thought there was problem with 980's bios and upgraded my bios too but still were not able to reach desktop and getting black screen. Then I have changed smbios to macpro3,1 via clover configurator and volia! works as butter smooth. Still don't know why getting black screen with 5,1 or 6,1 but going to be fixed if you use 3,1 smbios. There is nothing wrong with Evga 980 SC and works as intended except 5,1 and 6,1 smbios.

I thought there was problem with 980's bios and upgraded my bios too but still were not able to reach desktop and getting black screen. Then I have changed smbios to macpro3,1 via clover configurator and volia! works as butter smooth. Still don't know why getting black screen with 5,1 or 6,1 but going to be fixed if you use 3,1 smbios. There is nothing wrong with Evga 980 SC and works as intended except 5,1 and 6,1 smbios.

There is a plist that must be changed to for the driver to work with certain system profiles like the MacPro6,1 and the iMac15,1. I will try to find the plist edit in this forum and link it.

There is a plist that must be changed to for the driver to work with certain system profiles like the MacPro6,1 and the iMac15,1. I will try to find the plist edit in this forum and link it.

Thanks for that slim.

I was double checked applegrahics kext plugins part but found nothing regarding to plists. If I remember correctly, we need to change some value in field to to "none" on each line but was not able to find those plists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back