Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm sorry if this question was already made. I attempted a search, the term "trim" appears in too many threads. :-/

Well, I'm building a new custoMacPro based on Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650, SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB. This looks very similar to the build ultrazone and others did.

More or less I understood how ML must be installed and "post-installed" with MultiBeast but there are other aspects that need to be cleared.

For instance ultrazone enabled TRIM function on his SSD, while others didn't. Others again used TrimEnabler, an application that's apprently free to download.

I read also that TRIM can be turned on/off via complex terminal scripts...

So, what am I to do? Will I have to enable trim or not?

Thanks
ws

I'm sorry if this question was already made. I attempted a search, the term "trim" appears in too many threads. :-/

Well, I'm building a new custoMacPro based on Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650, SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB. This looks very similar to the build ultrazone and others did.

More or less I understood how ML must be installed and "post-installed" with MultiBeast but there are other aspects that need to be cleared.

For instance ultrazone enabled TRIM function on his SSD, while others didn't. Others again used TrimEnabler, an application that's apprently free to download.

I read also that TRIM can be turned on/off via complex terminal scripts...

So, what am I to do? Will I have to enable trim or not?

Thanks
ws

Apple has Trim enabled on all the build in SSD.
If you enable Trim then your SSD will live longer.
No need to fiddle with Terminal scripts, ChameleonSSDOptimizer is a good app to enable it.

TRIM is a good, but not required feature. If possible you should always enable this.

Via. Wikipedia:
TRIM was introduced soon after SSDs started to become an affordable alternative to traditional hard disks. Because low-level operation of SSDs differs significantly from hard drives, the typical way in which operating systems handle operations like deletes and formats resulted in unanticipated progressive performance degradation of write operations on SSDs.[2] TRIM enables the SSD to handle garbage collection overhead, which would otherwise significantly slow down future write operations to the involved blocks, in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back