Contribute
Register

A Quality CheapoMac build for under 300 USD ~ Free Gigabyte H81M Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

Thanks for your continued help.

I got all the parts [the i3 not the i5] and put it together but it won't turn on.

I tested the PSU with the paper clip method and it runs.

I've unplugged everything except the 24 pin and 4 pin connectors for the CPU and nothing happens.

Please help?

Is the ram memory installed ?

Hi.

Thanks for your continued help.

I got all the parts [the i3 not the i5] and put it together but it won't turn on.

I tested the PSU with the paper clip method and it runs.

I've unplugged everything except the 24 pin and 4 pin connectors for the CPU and nothing happens.

Please help?

It's easy to forget to plug the 4 pin cpu fan into the fan header on the mobo. Check that too.

Other than that sometimes (about 1/4 of the time you'll get a DOA motherboard) Happens
more than you'd think with motherboards.

Is the ram memory installed ?

Yep.

I installed it and tried with everything plugged in.

- - - Updated - - -

It's easy to forget to plug the 4 pin cpu fan into the fan header on the mobo. Check that too.

Other than that sometimes (about 1/4 of the time you'll get a DOA motherboard) Happens
more than you'd think with motherboards.

Thanks.

I'll take photos tomorrow to confirm/show what I'm doing.

Did you get the H81M-H board or the H81M-HD3 model ?

H81M-H. It's the only Microcenter has.

And I'm plugging it in the CPU socket. Checked the manual.

The HD3 version needs an 8 pin cpu power connector. If you do have to return it
see if you can get the H81M-HD3 it's got many more options that are really useful
like DisplayPort output and onboard USB3 header (to connect to your front USB3 port)
The -H model only has the USB2 header on the motherboard so it requires an adapter
cable to connect the back panel USB3 to the front port. Even if Microcenter doesn't
carry the HD3 I know they can get it.

On the troubleshooting ? Try the DIMM of ram in the other slot if you haven't tried that
yet. Does that board allow a speaker to be attached to get post beep codes ? Other than
that if the PSU is good, the CPU could be the problem. That is the least likely scenario
as I've never gotten a DOA Intel CPU. As I mentioned before the most likely culprit is
the motherboard.

So I just got back from the Microcenter the CPU and the Mobo were both defective.

They were out of i3 haswell processors so the manager gave me
Intel Core i5-4670K for the price of the i3 [120$] and a further discount on an open box Gigabyte Z87-HD3 mobo.

I got home and the mobo has the i/o shield missing. Apparently when you buy clearance items some parts can be missing so I could either return it and get another
H81M-H.

I'm just curious if you know whether other I/O shields would be compatible with the Gigabyte z87 because I can't see any on ebay for my model.

A 4670K for $120 ? I should start shopping at Microcenter more often. Curious as to how
they determined the cpu was no good? I would keep the Z87 motherboard over the H81M-H as
you can then utilize the overclock potential of your 4670K. I would just ask Microcenter for
the I/O shield and keep the board you've got if it's working properly.

I'm officially closing this thread today 5-14-14. The free after rebate offer is no longer available
but you can still get an even better build for a little more money by ordering from Newegg.

Buy a GA-H81M-HD3 from Newegg + an I3-4330 as the basis of a micro ATX budget
CustoMac build for around 300-350 USD. Since you will probably use the integrated
HD 4600 graphics, the HD3 model makes more sense because it's got DVI and Displayport
options for your monitor that the H81M-H doesn't.

Get at least 4GB of Crucial Ballistix ram and possibly a 120GB SSD as a boot drive for a really fast system for Mavericks. Then add the best mATX case and PSU you can afford and you've got a complete CustoMac build.

This is not a gaming or Photo/Video editing build but can pretty much do everything the $599
Mac mini can do and do it much faster. With a compatible graphics card you could do
some 1080p gaming at moderate frame rates. Just not BF 4 at all high settings !

Thanks to everyone who has read and contributed to this thread!

If you want direct links to the components of this budget build or just want to ask some more
questions about a budget mATX CustoMac build
post here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...ll-build-how-low-can-you-go-6.html#post718464

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back