Contribute
Register

A fix for Bluetooth wakeup (new kext for firmware upload)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,
Your help with testing will be highly appreciated! The new kext IOath3kfrmwr uploads the firmware into the BT controller on HP 4530s (see the source code). Bluetooth comes alive after each boot/restart/wakeup. It can work with vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext from OS X 10.7.x (I tested it with 10.7.3).

If you want to try it without removing the existing BT hack (in /Extra/BT), then, after a sleep&wakeup, copy the new kext into /tmp, kext-load it and see the Bluetooth coming back alive:

sudo cp -R ./IOath3kfrmwr.kext /tmp
sudo kextload /tmp/IOath3kfrmwr.kext

For a more thorough testing, you can delete (or move to trash):

/Extra/BT
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/local.BT-uploader.plist
/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext

and install the new kext and vanilla IOBluetoothFamily (e.g., extracted from the 10.7.3 update) into /S/L/E, for example by using KextBeast tool.

The new kext is involved ONLY with the uploading of the firmware into the Atheros controller. Please test how your Bluetooth works in general. On my system, BT works fine with transfers to/from another Mac, but communication with an old cellphone accelerates the appearance of the infamous "graphics glitches".

EDIT: There is an updated version of the kext on page 10 (with the linux driver's firmware)
viewtopic.php?f=259&t=53556&start=100
Download link: download/file.php?id=26413

Attachments

• IOath3kfrmwr.zip
    455.3 KB · Views: 1,402
ohh men!
I just installed a BT Module from a Macbook and disabled the original with Tape

Fantastic job!

Great day for bluetooth users.

Out of curiosity, when you say glitches, do you have a fan app, or any of that which is known to reduce them?

blueking said:
Out of curiosity, when you say glitches, do you have a fan app, or any of that which is known to reduce them?
Yes, glitches appeared all the same with both the original FanControl daemon or the simplified dummy daemon. Weird, they reproducibly appear when my BT was communicating with an old cell phone. I am testing BT again now with another MacBook - no glitches so far.

blueking said:
I wonder if the original produced this too?
Yes. I never actually used the BT on my system before, so after getting the glitches while testing the new kext, I went back to the original setup (/Extra/BT) and tried BT after the first boot. Got the same glitches when BT communicating with the cell phone. (Didn't try while pairing with another Macbook).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back