Contribute
Register

9900K at 5GHz + Aorus Master Z390

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 5GHz all core clock on Z390 boards, simply enable Multi Core Enhancement in the UEFI.
Runs stable, but needs a good cpu cooler, otherwise the temperature is rising to 100°C under full load.

Last edited:
@pastrychef @jb007
So, to reduce juice-use, I've clocked-down my i9 9900KS CPU to 4 GHz, and set the all-core turbo to 4.8 GHz: I've also enabled Vt-d in the BIOS, but I've kept dart=0, slide=0, darkwake=8, bootlog=no. My UAD Apollo 8 (TB2) can now hotswap/powerswap. I haven't modded any TB chips and I'm still using EmuVarNVRAM and Clover. Strange, but really cool.

Everything is really stable.

i9 9900KS IPG.pngGB run.png

@pastrychef @jb007
So, to reduce juice-use, I've clocked-down my i9 9900KS CPU to 4 GHz, and set the all-core turbo to 4.8 GHz: I've also enabled Vt-d in the BIOS, but I've kept dart=0, slide=0, darkwake=8, bootlog=no. My UAD Apollo 8 (TB2) can now hotswap/powerswap. I haven't modded any TB chips and I'm still using EmuVarNVRAM and Clover. Strange, but really cool.

Everything is really stable.

View attachment 462454View attachment 462453

If you had to under clock to achieve stability, odds are that you weren't providing enough voltage at 5GHz.

If you had to under clock to achieve stability, odds are that you weren't providing enough voltage at 5GHz.

Oh, thanks. This is more of an update of what I was already using. It's super steady, I'm just downclocking it to 4 GHz for less power consumption for everyday tasks. Pro Tools 2020 will peg the CPU and keep it there while Logic or FCPX is more efficient. I'm using a variation of the settings you recommended a few months ago on this thread. Thanks again for that. It worked out great.

For 5 GHz all core turbo, simply enable MCE in the UEFI.
But I had to lower the power limit to prevent the cpu from thermal throttleing under load (100°C).
I now have PL2 = 160W and PL1 = 125W.

Is anyone bothering to list OS version in this forum? I ask because I seem to have totally lost overclock ability since going from Mohave to Catalina.The old guidance for Ivy Bridge results in a clock speed locked at 0.8Ghz. Leaving it at the defaults in BIOS I get the native speed and no more. I'm not finding Guidance anywhere to overclock Catalina.

@mntbighker

It is done in the UEFI, not in macOS.

Last edited:
@mntbighker

It is done in the UEFI, not in macOS.

config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelXCPM=true
config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=YES

This results in a clock speed of 0.8ghz. If I remove these two from config.plist I get native clock speeds. But ONLY if I leave all settings in BIOS/UEFI at Auto. If I override anything, and keep that stuff out of the plist I get no overclock, and the speed locks at the native speed with no speed stepping. So no combination I tried so far results in overclocking. This guidance provided overclocking in Mohave with speed stepping.

config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelXCPM=true

This results in a clock speed of 0.8ghz. If I remove these two from config.plist I get native clock speeds. But ONLY if I leave all settings in BIOS/UEFI at Auto. If I override anything, and keep that stuff out of the plist I get no overclock, and the speed locks at the native speed with no speed stepping. So no combination I tried so far results in overclocking. This guidance provided overclocking in Mohave with speed stepping.

I have

config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelXCPM=NO
config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelPM=YES
config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/PluginType=1

I have

config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelXCPM=NO
config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelPM=YES
config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/PluginType=1

Pretty sure Ivy Bridge is different. i9 is WAY newer. Generate/PluginType=yes already gave me type=1 without setting it. KernelXCPM=yes definitely seems to have been the guidance for Ivy. At least up to Mohave, because it was working.

From Rehabman:
And no such thing as "KernelPM". I assume you mean "KernelPm", which is required for Haswell and later if CPU MSR 0xE2 is locked.

My CPU is a K model so it's unlocked. And I'm pre-Haswell too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back