Graphics
r9 290x + 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So myself and some other out here are working with 980x i7

As it turns out the only way we have found to get it to boot is by using iBoot.

But I am not sure why the iBoot works but vanilla kernel doesn't.

insert iBoot, power up, type in busratio=25, enter and wait

What is the kernel in iBoot? If I may ask.

So far we have had mixed results after much trying. Anyone else trying this? getting it working 100%?

Also want to ask how to fix the CMOS reset issue without DSDT? Is there a kext for this?

Working on extracting DSDT now but my DSDT editing skills are weak.

r.

Please tell me if I am out of bounds. Just prefer this forum to others as the folks here are nice and very smart.

Re: 980x works with iBoot, How? and how to fix CMOSreset nonDSDT

iBoot uses the patched kernel for maximum compatibility. Have you tried updating to 10.6.3 v1.1 and using the Vanilla kernel with that version? I think the 980 might be one of the few processors that doesn't work with the vanilla kernel.

rabbit74 said:
CMOS Reset via kext
http://www.kexts.com/view/151-cmos_rese ... xt%29.html

Will try the 10.6.3-v1.1 Kernel later. Working now. GD job getting in the way of my tinkering.

r.

Also don't know if this is the same one you linked- but LegacyAppleRTC.kext in /Extra/Extensions works, but only in 32-bit. If you boot 64-bit, no worky.

So here is the whole package.

I used the Legacy Kernel as it was the only one that would boot. I tried the new 10.6.3 v1.1 but it wouldn't boot.

the only issue with this kernel is that it is 32Bit only so limited to 4G RAM

The package contains the kernel and extra folder. there is no DSDT but all the kexts are there so it should run on any GA-EX58 board. Sound is setup for GA-EX58A-xxx boards as 889 sound. Ether and sound and everything else works.

Have fun.

When I get a working 64Bit Kernel and DSDT I will post them.

For reference I am running this on GA-EX58A-UD5 with nVidia=9400. This setup as it is will only work with nVidia card.

best regards and have fun.

r.

ps attached is a screenshot to show all cores. Currently running stock i7-980x with baseclock at 166 and ram at 1333

geekbench score is here
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/254927

Much thanks to Tony and the crew here. I could not have done it without your Legacy iBoot disk and your awesome blog and support. Peace.

Attachments

• Package.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 93
  • Screen shot 2010-05-26 at 6.31.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-05-26 at 6.31.40 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 787

Here are a couple extra pics. The intel chip comes with a really nice cooler. Has 2 speed settings, normal, and performance. Good to know you get a hundred dollar cooler for your thousand bucks.

r.

ps to intel. If you by chance happen upon this post. The cooler screws should screw in from the back, (underside), of the MoBo. Just a thought as it makes it easier to mount if you can actually turn the screws.

Attachments

• IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    783.8 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    725 KB · Views: 807

I need some help where am I supposed to place the LEgacy Kernel? Does it in the iBoot CD? Also how do I CMOS Reset via kext?

djsuperstar said:
I need some help where am I supposed to place the LEgacy Kernel? Does it in the iBoot CD? Also how do I CMOS Reset via kext?

yes - cmos reset via kext. It is in the package

legacy kernel is in root. it is a hidden file so unhide all files and you will see it.

it loooks like /mach_kernel

r

-I created an iBoot Nvidia CD (didn't modify anything)
-Formated the hard drive with my MPB
-Plugged the drive back into the PC
-Booted with iBoot
-Insert SL install DVD
-used busratio=25 command
-saw some errors in the commands lines got till the installation screen, I choose the previously formatted drive, started the installation, seemed like it got till the end 100% but then it started "reverting" the bar was still 100% full but the remaining time kept increasing -1min -2min -3min etc now is up to -20 min. What did I do wrong?

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I did not use iBoot to install on 980x. I only used it to boot the the disk after I had already installed the OS.

I used the MKPackage method to install Snow then used the iBoot disc to boot, after which I manually fixed and made the system bootable.

Is that clear. Sorry for the confusion.

r.

MKPackage method link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLIjDAbX ... r_embedded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back