Contribute
Register

8400GS Success! And some things I learned about Device IDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a noob too and found the intructions straight forward.

Did it manually though, not using GFX String tool.

found com.apple.boot (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist) and changed <string></string> to <string>arch=i386 PCIRootUID=1</string>

Got graphics card device id from 'About This Mac'... id was 10c3

Searched for NVDANV50Hal.kext/ contents info.plist (SYSTEM/EXTENSIONS/NVDANV50Hal.ktext)

Duplicated an id string from the list: 0x06e410de&amp;0xffe0ffff
then just changed the id to match my card: 0x10c310de&amp;0xffe0ffff

then just repaired permissions with KTEXT UTILITY

Now running 10.6.7 with a Asus GeForce 8400GS.

@ VideoBeagle
Yes I have QE/CI, Unknown in System profiler and low values in Cinebench 11, now will try some fix with string injection to solve cosmetic and performance issue.

mikonmac said:
@ VideoBeagle
Yes I have QE/CI, Unknown in System profiler and low values in Cinebench 11, now will try some fix with string injection to solve cosmetic and performance issue.

I found other testers worked better for this card than Cinebench. If you check my other posts, I link to them.

With Chimera now graphics is showing right card in System Profiler.

mikonmac said:
With Chimera now graphics is showing right card in System Profiler.

I am unfamiliar with Chimera...what is that?

I'm a noob too and got it to work. I used other methods and DST's and after :banghead: countless installs prolly about 25 or so restless nights and help from maxim775 I stumbled here. Used retail 10.6.0 disk, IBoot, and multibeast. Got sound working by AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip with kext helper.

Again credit to maxim775 and husky403. :headbang:

1) In the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file, I changed this line:

<string>arch=i386</string>

to this:

<string>arch=i386 PCIRootUID=1</string>

2) I also made sure that MultiBeast had added the following lines (it had):

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

3) I went to "about this mac" and under the graphics card info, saw that my device ID was 10c3

4) changed the permissions of /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents

so I could write it (note: you have to right click the kext file and choose "show contents" to get this folder)

5) also changed the permissions of the Info.plist in the Contents directory

6) added the following line in with all the other IDs. I have no idea what 0xfff0ffff means, but it worked. 10de is the code for Nvidia.

0x10c310de&amp;0xfff0ffff then saved it.

7) Used multibeast to repair permissions & rebuild caches (under Sytem Utilities). I also repaired using kext utility that comes with MultiBeast.

8) Rebooted. When it came up I had more resolution options, but when I chose other resolutions it gave me a blue screen. Also changing hz also game me blue screen. Rebooting resolved this and now it works great. I haven't tried dvi or hdmi. Will try soon. Hopefully they will allow other resolutions. I tried cinebench and got a whopping 6.18 fps. LOL So def not the best but it works for me now. Oh and under graphics and displays under about this mac doensn't show what kind of video card;only shows specs.

Sleep is my only problem, it goes to sleep but i can't wake it.

Now running 10.6.7 with a Asus GeForce 8400GS. (no sleep yet.) :banghead:

My build

GA-G41M-ES2L
Intel Dual Core E5800
2.5 gb ddr2 Kingston
500gb Sata Western Digital Caviar
Asus EN8400gs Silent 512ddr2 (bought from tiger)(item # A455-8406)

Hey Husky! I'm having a serious issue with this graphic card with no success whatever I do... I've been re-installing circa 25 times in more than a week and no success even if I follow the instruction gathered in your topic.
Can you tell me your procedure to install snow leopard? (efi, or iBoot, with multibeast...) ??
Thanx a lot to all of you for the infos!

Hey, Thanks for this. I just built a Hackintosh for my daughter using the DSDT method (I had built my original one last year using the KEXT method and just recently switched over to DSDT). I used all the latest stuff. Chimera, Multbeast, 10.6.7 etc. Anyways, all was well except audio and video -no big surprise here.

I have an Asus 8400GS silent. I edited NVDANV50Hal.kext and put my device ID in there and BAM! Full support! BTW, because the video was messed up Safari kept locking up coming to this site. I didn't realize how much I needed it until I couldn't get to it! I used another Hack to get the info. Anyways, thanks to all!!!!! I have a fully working OSx install. After trying many KEXTS etc. I ended up with Azalia audio but thats for another day.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back