Contribute
Register

5k Resolution with original iMac Panel and Nvidia Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
This does bring one more possibility into play...
Procuring a new LTM270RL01 panel to install in this housing..

Hmmm.. Interesting... :think::idea:

I also want to add that I think this is a better panel than the LG ones (slightly - we are picking nits here a bit)
The colors and gradients seems smoother and just more consistent?

I'm not sure - I can't put my finger on it, but it's easy on the eyes and something about the colors just seems "right".
It is hard to articulate.

Who knows though. The difference with the glass vs this light anti-glare matte might be playing tricks..
Maybe there's something to the whole "true 10-bit" though too?
Are you able to find a new LTM270RL01 panel online?

Yeah I noticed the HP might be a true 10-bit panel based on technical specifications of the LCD.

I have seen a couple places where one could be sourced including from some of those Chinese sellers.

I already have a couple feelers out to see what kind of quality we are talking about since I have all weekend with this HP at home before decision time.

I did send back my Asus VG289Q though. It's a very nice 4k panel, and a great value at $330 +tax...

But it's a 4k panel and, as you know, when you've had some exposure to these 5k ones - It just doesn't hold up

Last edited:
The more I'm looking at this panel and from up close and all angles moving my head around, I'm pretty sure this is all actually dust inside that is between the LCD and backlight

I wonder if I can crack it all open and clean it out?

Anyone have words of wisdom in favor or against such an idea?

Also, I only briefly tried it in Catalina and it was showing up as two displays.

I thought this was natively supported at this point?
Anyone know the solution to that?

I didn't bother with it and just went to the Windows side to test it out (and quickly found the problems).

I've used h27q with hackintoshed mojave - worked fine as single 5k screen.

If you are talking about h27q, mine came with the same defects - dust like spots inside lcd panel.

Wow. Really?
Brand new yours was like this?

(did you see my photos? Same issue as yours?)

Did you keep yours?

Wow. Really?
Brand new yours was like this?

(did you see my photos? Same issue as yours?)

Did you keep yours?

Yes, looks almost the same as yours.
I've bought it at ebay (used item).
Seller returned me 50% of lot price, so i've keeped it and selling now (i'm live outside of US and shipping back is expensive).

Yes, looks almost the same as yours.
I've bought it at ebay (used item).
Seller returned me 50% of lot price, so i've keeped it and selling now (i'm live outside of US and shipping back is expensive).

Say I just messaged you. Would you mind sharing with me which Ebay seller?
I'm curious if it's one related to the site I bought from.

What were your thoughts about the z27q otherwise?
I see you have an LG UF 5k also? How do you compare the two?

Say I just messaged you. Would you mind sharing with me which Ebay seller?
I'm curious if it's one related to the site I bought from.

What were your thoughts about the z27q otherwise?
I see you have an LG UF 5k also? How do you compare the two?

no, mine is htg_tech (i can't answer you in private messages because i didn't have 75 posts on this board).
LG have much better colors than HP. HP stopped producing z27q so i think it will be hard to find monitor in good condition.

LG have much better colors than HP

Very interesting - I'm surprised to hear you say this!
Are you sure you have the color profiles dialed in?

I'm on macOS with the AdobeRGB preset and find the colors to be spectacular - spot on - even - smooth - vibrant when they should be - consistent. Totally gorgeous. I believe they factory calibrated these really well.

Anyhow -
So are you sticking with a retail LG UF 5k and doing Titan-Ridge type of solutions?

Very interesting - I'm surprised to hear you say this!
Are you sure you have the color profiles dialed in?

I'm on macOS with the AdobeRGB preset and find the colors to be spectacular - spot on - even - smooth - vibrant when they should be - consistent. Totally gorgeous. I believe they factory calibrated these really well.

Anyhow -
So are you sticking with a retail LG UF 5k and doing Titan-Ridge type of solutions?

at this time - i will use LG 5k
but will try to find solution without thunderbolt 3
maybe replace lcd in planar monitor, or make DIY 5k monitor with chinese 5k driver board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back