Contribute
Register

5960x - Titan X - 2x Samsung 4k - Asus X99-E WS - Clover - EFI - SM951

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion your conf is good. I think 32Gb of DDR4 are enough for your work. Both me and rbbunmc use GSkill Model F4-2800C15Q2-64GRK but there is still a kit made of 32GB.

Yep. x99-e ws underperforms compared to pretty much every other asus x99 so I'd recommend a cheaper board. You can't run memory higher than 2400 Mhz so if you stick with x99-e ws I would save change by buying 2400 sticks in 64gb. 32gb is about the sweet spot for RAM. 64gb is just being showey for pretty much everything. I run an RNA-Seq aligner programmer that requires minimum 30 gb RAM but thats mostly cause its storing billions of nucleotides from a single 50+gb file. So its not unusual to need more I guess. My advice would be cheaper x99 asus and lower frequency DDR4. If your close go 64gb,but its probably a non-issue.

UPDATE
I don't know if i'm lucky or what...but after updating bios to new 1302 versione, loaded optimized default settings, made all the settings again as rbbunmc wrote in his guide, i have hot swap Thunderbolt HDD working!!!!! Yes....i unplugged the device (Lacie 2Big Thunderbolt 2 12TB), switched off....i switched it on again and puff.....it's showed and fully working in Finder!!!!
I did again several test, restarted system with the disk switched off....switched on in OS X and it works!
ThunderboltEX II settings in bios are the same rbbunmc wrote in his guide!

Hi folks,

with the latest CLOVER Bootloader v3292 and afresh Image of OS X 10.11.1 from the AppStore i was able to install EL CAPITAN successfully on my new ASUS X99-E WS !!!

Hardware used: ASUS X99-E WS, Intel I7 5820k, 32GB Kingston Memory 2133 4x8GB RAM Sticks, SAMSUNG SM951 in onboard M.2 Slot, AMD Radeon R9 380 STRIX GFX-Card.

Made an USB Installer Stick via Clover 3292 Installer with UEFI Bootoption and the following UEFI64 drivers:

FSInject-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi

Used kexts for Clover Boot:

AppleIntelE1000e.kext
FakeSMC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
VoodooTSCSync.kext

Everything is working flawlessly, just GFX is making problems: have to remove the AMDRadeonX4000.kext from System/Extensions folder, cause without the proper framebuffer patch it wont display anything after verbose mode booting. <--- this issue i try to fix the common days.

Just to let u all know: EL CAPITAN on ASUS X99-E WS is now possible ;-)

PS: i removed my ThunderboltEX card for 10.10.5, cause it gave me the OsxAptioFix errors all the time. Will test it tomorrow with my new configuration and will let u know, if it will work.

I've run into a problem from an apple update I just downloaded.

OSX won't boot up anymore. I'm at the boot-loader screen with the "Boot Max OS X from Yosemite" option and when I hit enter it tries to boot and then just restarts.

I don't remember the specific name of it but it involved a Safari 9.0.1 update and some security updates.

Any advice on getting it back up and running?

Also did you see Mork's post about getting el capitan to run?

@mork

Are you able to just update it from yosemite or do I need to wipe my drive and start over.

Yep. x99-e ws underperforms compared to pretty much every other asus x99 so I'd recommend a cheaper board. You can't run memory higher than 2400 Mhz so if you stick with x99-e ws I would save change by buying 2400 sticks in 64gb. 32gb is about the sweet spot for RAM. 64gb is just being showey for pretty much everything. I run an RNA-Seq aligner programmer that requires minimum 30 gb RAM but thats mostly cause its storing billions of nucleotides from a single 50+gb file. So its not unusual to need more I guess. My advice would be cheaper x99 asus and lower frequency DDR4. If your close go 64gb,but its probably a non-issue.

Cool, thanks for the advice (you also Nightflyer). Is there any other board in particular you would recommend? Then if I went with the 32GB RAM, since it sounds like that would be ok for me for the time being, would I still want to go with 2400 sticks?

Lastly, are you able to tell me how well a build like this would work for a hackintosh?

Your guy's help is huge for me, thanks!

OSX won't boot up anymore. I'm at the boot-loader screen with the "Boot Max OS X from Yosemite" option and when I hit enter it tries to boot and then just restarts.

I don't remember the specific name of it but it involved a Safari 9.0.1 update and some security updates.

Also did you see Mork's post about getting el capitan to run?

Hello mate...i did the update too, it was about raw camera patch, safari and if i remember well iTunes new version. At reboot everything was ok, so it's strange you cannot boot the system. Try to boot from Clover USB stick made following the guide directions and try to reinstall EFI files overwriting the ones in your boot SSD.
PS Did you run AGPDfix app after installing Yosemite?

@mork

Are you able to just update it from yosemite or do I need to wipe my drive and start over.

Just bootet from OS X 10.11.1 Bootstick and updated my working YOSEMITE partition.
No needs to modify any DSDT for the known USB patches. All my onboard USB-ports work for now.
System runs completely DSDT/SSDT free.

Now it is time for "finetuning"... will keep you all informed on progress.

@mork

I prefer to stay with Yosemite....system works perfectly so I don't see any reason to upgrade :D

I also have this problem. Have you managed to get this fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back