Contribute
Register

5960x - Titan X - 2x Samsung 4k - Asus X99-E WS - Clover - EFI - SM951

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

Was curious if you think this guide might work with the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS running a couple of 14 core 2695 V3's?

Thanks,

jb
[h=1][/h]
Dual CPU config is tough I think. It may be possible and I've seen others try but I'm not sure of the outcome. One guy was trying a dual 18 core setup, for 36 cores. Google that and see if he was successful. I think it was the Xeon 2699?

Hi rbbunmc....thanks for your guide. I want to build a machine like your but with a less expansive graphic card because my purpose is to use the hk in my studio as audio machine. So I want to ask you what graphic card you think is compatible with your configuration between a gtx 750 or gtx 760 or gtx 960. Do you use Thunderboltex II dual or the single version of the card? I would like to use the dual version...should it be compatible?
Actually i use in another hackintosh a simple gt610 card...
Thanks in advance for your help.

Any card works great, just needs to be in your budget . Go for the best your budget allows. I'm using dual thunderbolt but it always work s then doesn't work. There's issues with it that just seen't figured out on x99. If it's important, I'd recommend x79 or z170 with new thunderbolt 3 that gigabyte has pre-installed.

Order of install doesn't't matter really. GPU sadly can't be fully supported unless flashed and nodded chip installed by macvidcards. Sucks, but only way. I am considering this.

How is the performance of your Titan X? I had read that this was now supported(?).

Has anyone tried to throw a 12 core 2690v3 in this bad boy or a 14 or 16 core even? I saw about changing the voodoo kext to reflect the cores, but is that it? It's alot of cash for a cpu to find out it doesn't work so I'm curious if anyone has tried it.

Thanks!

jb

I honestly dont see the point....

5820k $300 4.3-4.5Ghz 6 core. 25.8-27/300 = 0.086 - 0.09

5960x $1000 4.3-4.5Ghz 8 core. 34.4-36/1000 = 0.034 - 0.036

2699 ~$4000 2.3Ghz 18 core. 41.4/4000 = 0.01035

Obviously the 5820k takes the cake in performance per dollar, about 9x as much performance per dollar as the 2699 v3.

Fast and rough math says a 5960x at 4.5Ghz has about 87% of the processing power in applications optimized for up to 18 cores/36 threads, the 5960x will tie it in anything that is optimized for up to 16 cores, and the 5960x will beat it for anything optimized for 15 cores or less. Not to mention some programs are core limited by liscense, and need volume license limits to run on more than a certain number of cores.....

So in the majority of applications I would say the 5960x at 4.3-4.5Ghz will be faster than the 18 core 2699. Not worth the extra 3k to be slower most of the time imo. Since the top of the line xeon will usually be slower than the i7, I dont see much point in using a lesser model that still costs more than the 5960x.

Weird about fakesmc do you have newest monitoring program installed. I've never heard of issues with it. About me always shows the 3Ghz but it's actually OC, no worries. When you run HWMonitor it will show you this under CPU monitor. Good luck!

I installed HWMonitor as per your guide the first time and it simply didnt open, it gave some vauge message the first time about it not being installed correctly, so I redid it and ran the file permission fix twice and got the same thing. Next time I installed it off the newest version of multibeast with the 3 boxes checked: fake smc, fake smc plugins, and hwmonitor, then I ran the file permission fix and restarted bricked with the crossed circle.

How is the performance of your Titan X? I had read that this was now supported(?).

I don't have a great answer for this, here's why. If you look back in the posts users have run benchmark software and found the scores are significantly less than in windows. I have done the same and found a similar result. The results aren't true though, because there is a problem in the programs trying to operate on yosemite 10.10.3 and higher. There may be a good program to try, like cinebench but I haven't wanted to spend money trying out a bunch of different programs. If I am spending money its on something long validated like geekbench. I can say that I have no problems with graphics acceleration in anything I run. Some people use nvidia injection not realizing this actually disables nvidia cards (poor choice of wording). There is too much debate on the topic that is difficult to know a true answer. My best answer is from my experience, I have ZERO issues with graphics acceleration, but benchmark software says its atrocious.

I honestly dont see the point....

5820k $300 4.3-4.5Ghz 6 core. 25.8-27/300 = 0.086 - 0.09

5960x $1000 4.3-4.5Ghz 8 core. 34.4-36/1000 = 0.034 - 0.036

2699 ~$4000 2.3Ghz 18 core. 41.4/4000 = 0.01035

Obviously the 5820k takes the cake in performance per dollar, about 9x as much performance per dollar as the 2699 v3.

Fast and rough math says a 5960x at 4.5Ghz has about 87% of the processing power in applications optimized for up to 18 cores/36 threads, the 5960x will tie it in anything that is optimized for up to 16 cores, and the 5960x will beat it for anything optimized for 15 cores or less. Not to mention some programs are core limited by liscense, and need volume license limits to run on more than a certain number of cores.....

So in the majority of applications I would say the 5960x at 4.3-4.5Ghz will be faster than the 18 core 2699. Not worth the extra 3k to be slower most of the time imo. Since the top of the line xeon will usually be slower than the i7, I dont see much point in using a lesser model that still costs more than the 5960x.

Valid points and why I went with the 5960x. With OC it certainly outperforms the 12 core on all fronts. However I also do scientific computations on the genome. Heres the pros and cons I can attest to.

Pros to 5960x in Science...

The pros are when I am doing non-science general work on the PC the 5960x is fast as heck and overall much better performance and better geekbench score than 12 cores.

It is also able to work at very high performance even with all 16 threads dedicated to computations.

Negative to 5960x in Science...

The human genome has 24 unique chromosomes and programs typically run at low bandwith so with the exception of having plenty of bandwith dedicated to other tasks, the maximum number of parallel tasks (ie chromosomes I can analyze at once) is 16. A 12 core processor would permit me to run all 24 chromosomes simultaneously to finish the process in 66% of the time. Too much depends on the program(s). It really stinks that most science programs limitations are bandwith. I still prefer the 5960x since it is a REALLY GOOD overall processor that is good $$$ for the power. There are times I would love to finish an analysis in 6, rather than 9 hours though. :D

I installed HWMonitor as per your guide the first time and it simply didnt open, it gave some vauge message the first time about it not being installed correctly, so I redid it and ran the file permission fix twice and got the same thing. Next time I installed it off the newest version of multibeast with the 3 boxes checked: fake smc, fake smc plugins, and hwmonitor, then I ran the file permission fix and restarted bricked with the crossed circle.

That is just INSANELY weird. Its such an easy program I couldn't imagine your doing anything wrong. Did you delete the original fakesmc (and fake smc plugin and hwmonitor) from S/L/E before installing the new ones from multibeast and then repair the permissions using kext wizard?
Its possible you were installing new fake smc plugins and hwmonitor with an old fakesmc since multibeast can't overwrite files. Its very important to delete all old files before adding the new ones because of this. The only other answer (if you did this) is the kext wizard fix permissions and repair cache, which is generally always important when making changes to S/L/E. If you covered these bases. Its a very weird circumstance!

I didnt delete the old files when I used multibeast, didnt know it didnt overwrite files. The first time when I followed your directions I definately used the kext wizard. I can definately go back and delete the fake smc hwmonitor kexts in the S/L/E folder. If I delete the 3 kexts and replace them with the 3 from multibeast and run the kext wizard, what are the odds the computer would fail to boot?

Mine is for science too, although not human. Originally I speced out this computer for use with several genetics programs, with Geneious and CLC Workbench being major programs used. I contacted both companies and asked what the maximum hardware their software would make use of when dealing with up to 1.7 gigabase genomes would be. Both of them said 64-96GB of RAM and that the main process would only run on a single thread, with some secondary processes occasionally using a second thread. Hard to justify spending more money for more cores and and slower processing.

I didnt delete the old files when I used multibeast, didnt know it didnt overwrite files. The first time when I followed your directions I definately used the kext wizard. I can definately go back and delete the fake smc hwmonitor kexts in the S/L/E folder. If I delete the 3 kexts and replace them with the 3 from multibeast and run the kext wizard, what are the odds the computer would fail to boot?

Mine is for science too, although not human. Originally I speced out this computer for use with several genetics programs, with Geneious and CLC Workbench being major programs used. I contacted both companies and asked what the maximum hardware their software would make use of when dealing with up to 1.7 gigabase genomes would be. Both of them said 64-96GB of RAM and that the main process would only run on a single thread, with some secondary processes occasionally using a second thread. Hard to justify spending more money for more cores and and slower processing.

Cool. I use some geneious. I use a large number of programs in bioconductor. Sequencing - STAR, cufflinks, variant callers, REDItools. Pretty much anything and everything. I am largely new to programming, but in reality bioconductor (R programming language) is the only thing that has required a pretty big learning curve.

I'd delete all three and then install all three from multibeast. Then repair with kextbeast. If it doesn't work than I have no answers, I'm as lost as you. Regardless I am sure OC working. If you buy the 64bit full geekbench its pretty easy to tell if your overclock is working, without OC you get a geekbench score of 20-22k, with OC its above 30k. I am not sure of the 32bit numbers from the free version, but I can run the numbers to test if you're not interested in the pay version of geekbench. Good luck!

Hi rbbunmc...thanks for your answers they are always appreciated ;)
About a graphic card maybe i will buy a Gigabyte GTX 960 with 2GB (about 200 EUR) it's cheaper than a TitanX (about 1100 EUR) and i don't need a gpu with so big performance for an audio workstation. I've ordered all the parts and i hope next week to start biulding this conf.
Maybe i will ask you again for more support :D

PS in the guide you write to change settings if we install a gpu different from a TitanX...expecially about the line nvda_drv=1....you mean to set this line if for example i install a gtx910 or a gtx 770 or other cards? Sorry i know these questions seem so silly for you, but i'm a noob even if this will be my third buid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back