Contribute
Register

5770: Poor performance after sleep in Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... Wasn't able to make it load the Radeon frame buffer.
Changed Langur to _Langur, then ran "system utilities" in Multibeast. When it repaired permissions, I got a warning, that ATI5000Controller.kext was broken and can't be used.
After a reboot, it didn't load any frame buffer at all, didn't see anything, even when I did not specify a custom frame buffer. Same result with AtiConfig=_Langur.
Using HDMI doesn't change that. Restored the ATI5000Controller.kext with screensharing, then it booted up normally.

Why can't I edit anything in that Info.plist? Everytime I do, my system tells me that this KEXT is damaged and needs to be reinstalled when I repaired permissions. I think the system ignores it then, when booting up with an edited Info.plist, "ioreg | grep ATY" doesn't output anything (via screensharing of course, never got a display after editing this file...)

Fl0r!an said:
Hmmm... Wasn't able to make it load the Radeon frame buffer.
Changed Langur to _Langur, then ran "system utilities" in Multibeast. When it repaired permissions, I got a warning, that ATI5000Controller.kext was broken and can't be used.
After a reboot, it didn't load any frame buffer at all, didn't see anything, even when I did not specify a custom frame buffer. Same result with AtiConfig=_Langur.
Using HDMI doesn't change that. Restored the ATI5000Controller.kext with screensharing, then it booted up normally.

Why can't I edit anything in that Info.plist? Everytime I do, my system tells me that this KEXT is damaged and needs to be reinstalled when I repaired permissions. I think the system ignores it then, when booting up with an edited Info.plist, "ioreg | grep ATY" doesn't output anything (via screensharing of course, never got a display after editing this file...)

This is how I made the edits:
1. copied ATI5000Controller.kext to desktop
2. edited Info.plist by replacing Langur with _Langur, leaving everything else as is
3. deleted ATI5000Controller.kext from S/L/E
4. copied ATI5000Controller.kext to S/L/E
5. opened terminal and ran:
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
6. made sure boot.plist has GraphicsEnabler=Yes
7. reboot system
8. at Chameleon boot prompt, type in (case-sensitive): AtiConfig=_Langur
9. system loads. To see if Radeon Framebuffer has loaded, open terminal and type: ioreg | grep ATY

I don't get it, it won't display anything when I do this.
I still see the grey apple boot screen when the system is already up and running...

Fl0r!an said:
I don't get it, it won't display anything when I do this.
I still see the grey apple boot screen when the system is already up and running...

Not sure why the 10.7 kexts do not work for you. When you use the vanilla 10.6.7 kexts and type "ioreg | grep ATY" in terminal, I am assuming it says that you are using the Vervet framebuffer? Also, I assume you are running the latest Chimera and a DSDT from tonymac?, you have only 10.7 vanilla kexts in S/L/E (and no kexts from 10.6.x)?, and that your boot.plist is stripped down (no AtiConfig etc., just GraphicsEnabler=Yes)?

What exactly happens when you start your system with 10.7 vanilla kexts and no edits? Do you get a black screen? KP? If you run verbose, what error message do you get?

Did you check that your ATI card's PCI sys values are listed in ATI5000Controller? You can check your values by running "bdmesg" in terminal with the 10.6.7 kexts? You should see both primary and subsystem PCI values.

The vanilla 10.7 kexts do work, with the problem described above (performance issues after sleep).
The ATI5000Controller.kext stops working when I edit the Info.plist.
Followed your post step-by-step. Copied the kext to the desktop, opened Info.plist in TextWrangler, replaced Langur with _Langur, saved, deleted the lext in S/L/E, copied the modified version to S/L/E (after a few secs I get a warning that ATI5000Controll.kext cannot be used :eek: ). Then repaired permissions as you described, rebooted, and I don´t see anything after booting. ioreg | grep ATY shows me nothing (via Screensharing). Without modifications I see that it uses Vervet. Ah, and I´m using the latest version of Chimera and a DSDT from Tony.

Fl0r!an said:
The vanilla 10.7 kexts do work, with the problem described above (performance issues after sleep).
Followed your post step-by-step. Copied the kext to the desktop, opened Info.plist in TextWrangler, replaced Langur with _Langur, saved, deleted the lext in S/L/E, copied the modified version to S/L/E (after a few secs I get a warning that ATI5000Controll.kext cannot be used :eek: ). Then repaired permissions as you described, rebooted, and I don´t see anything after booting. ioreg | grep ATY shows me nothing (via Screensharing). Without modifications I see that it uses Vervet. Ah, and I´m using the latest version of Chimera and a DSDT from Tony.

Are you just repairing permissions-- or also rebuilding the cache?

I'm not sure this would make the difference, but perhaps you should run multibeast after changing any kexts, and choose only the two system utilities: Rebuild Cache and Repair Permissions.

R

Tried both - just repairing permissions with the 2 Terminal commands redratto posted, and using Mutlibeast - System Utilities. Makes not difference...

Fl0r!an said:

The warning that you can't use the ATI5000Controller kext in S/L/E after you edit it probably relates to that the kext has been loaded by the system at startup. That happens to me sometimes too. Wouldn't worry about it.

The only other thing I can think of is that you try renaming one of the other framebuffers instead of Langur. Change Hoolock for Hooloc for instance and try to load it at boot prompt. Or just type in AtiConfig=RadeonFramebuffer at boot prompt and see what happens.

EDIT: this is the site where I read about the framebuffer changes; check it out for more info http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,980.0.html

Oh well... AtiConfig=RadeonFramebuffer works, I get QE/CI, full acceleration, and "ioreg | grep ATY" shows that I'm using that default RadeonFramebuffer.
Games work, too, but after sleep the fps drop from ~85 (max FPS in CoD4) down to a maximum of 30, usually less, depending on what happens on the screen.

I really don't get it, there must be something wrong with my card, nothing seems to work...
I think I'll have to live with this problem until I upgrade my card, or until new drivers fix my problem, whatever comes first...

EDIT: Real Macs seem to have this problem, too: https://discussions.apple.com/message/15710849#15710849
One MacPro and one iMac... Apple will have to fix that, so I'll wait for new drivers :cool:

Fl0r!an said:
Oh well... AtiConfig=RadeonFramebuffer works, I get QE/CI, full acceleration, and "ioreg | grep ATY" shows that I'm using that default RadeonFramebuffer.
Games work, too, but after sleep the fps drop from ~85 (max FPS in CoD4) down to a maximum of 30, usually less, depending on what happens on the screen.

I really don't get it, there must be something wrong with my card, nothing seems to work...
I think I'll have to live with this problem until I upgrade my card, or until new drivers fix my problem, whatever comes first...

EDIT: Real Macs seem to have this problem, too: https://discussions.apple.com/message/15710849#15710849
One MacPro and one iMac... Apple will have to fix that, so I'll wait for new drivers :cool:

Too bad it didn't help to run the RadeonFramebuffer. I am probably wrong, but am still inclined to think that the problem with dropping speed after sleep is unrelated to your graphics card. The real macs in the discussion you link to don't have the same graphics cards as you do they? I had some problems with sleep on my system too (cmos reset) but found a simple kext edit for it at InsanelyMac. Hope it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back