Contribute
Register

5770: Poor performance after sleep in Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fl0r!an said:
Just ran Cinebench again - the CPU score stays constantly at 3,66.
OpenGL drops from 35 to 17FPS...

@justruss: I was using the ATI KEXTs from Multibeast 3.4. Those were from the 10.6.7 MBP Update, version number 1.6.32. Are you using the same?

No. Mine are 1.6.26.

Okay, next try:

6) Kexts (5000Controller, Framebuffer, ATISupport) from 10.6.7 Combo Update (1.6.26)
=> Full QE/CI, but poor performance just directly after a restart :-/

Oh well... Anyone else here with a Sapphire HD 5770 (standard, not Vapor-X)?
If so, do you have the same problems?

Two new ideas...

7) AtiConfig=Hoolock (That´s the frame buffer Apple uses for their retail HD 5770)
=> Black screen after boot :confused:

8) AtiConfig=Eulemur
=> Everything perfekt, full QE/CI, just like with the standard Vervet framebuffer, but performance still drops after sleep -.-

I've lost track of threads a bit, but in the last day I've used a method someone else was floating around:

Vanilla 10.7 kexts. But take the ATI5000Controller kext, right-click and select "Show Contents" and open info.plist. All you have to do is replace "Langur" with "Vervet" in the info.plist file-- no need to edit any other file, including boot.plist or whatever. Now the 10.7 kexts boot like normal and will run mini DP (like my ACD).

Not sure if this also helps with the performance after sleep... but I guess it is worth a try.

I was going to just post the modified ATI5000Controller kext I made for my system... but the forum won't let me upload that file. Anyway, it's super easy to try.

thanks for the idea, just tried it.
Changed "Langur" to "Vervet", saved, repaired permissions:
=> No display at all -.- System boots up, but I don´t see anything of it, just see the gray apple boot screen.
Changed it back to "Langur" via screensharing, repaired permissions, and here I am again.

Really strange, since you´ve got an 5770, too.
Already thought that a firmware update for my 5770 could help, but I can´t find any on the Sapphire page.

My guess as to why justruss suggestion does not work for you is that your card has a HDMI port and not DP/MiniDP.

Have you tried loading the default Radeon Framebuffer and see what happens with your card? If you are using HDMI, that should give you vanilla 10.7 kexts, 64bit, and full acceleration.

Use vanilla 10.7 kexts. In ATI5000Controller, replace Langur with _Langur (does not matter which framebuffer you replace, the key is that you use a non-vanilla framebuffer name) and save, repair permissions. Set GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist. Reboot and type in AtiConfig=_Langur at boot prompt.

About your sleep issue, it is probably unrelated to your graphics card. Check out this forum discussion viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1165&start=50. Maybe bmas has the same problem as you with slow performance after wake from sleep?

Netkas has just posted an updated ATY_INIT as previous version was not injecting 5770s. Worth a try?

Yeah my card has HDMI, right, but I´m using the DVI-Output.
I´ll try that "default Radeon Framebuffer"-trick later, currently got no time to crash my system :D
I´ll also try what happens when I´m using HDMI as output, don´t know if it works at all.
I don´t think I have the same problem as bmas, because my CPU power doesn´t change after sleep, Cinebench CPU Benchmark stays constant...

@ntsmkfob:
I already tried the same aty_init.kext I was using for more than a year. It always worked back in the days when the boot loader wasn´t able to inject 5770s, so I think my version shouldn´t be a problem...

justruss said:
I've lost track of threads a bit, but in the last day I've used a method someone else was floating around:

Vanilla 10.7 kexts. But take the ATI5000Controller kext, right-click and select "Show Contents" and open info.plist. All you have to do is replace "Langur" with "Vervet" in the info.plist file-- no need to edit any other file, including boot.plist or whatever. Now the 10.7 kexts boot like normal and will run mini DP (like my ACD).

Not sure if this also helps with the performance after sleep... but I guess it is worth a try.

I was going to just post the modified ATI5000Controller kext I made for my system... but the forum won't let me upload that file. Anyway, it's super easy to try.

I don't have the single slot, but might try this to get Triple Monitor support in 10.7 which is currently missing on my card...Dual DVI works, DVI/DVI/DP does not (lose DP).

cakemonster said:
justruss said:

I don't have the single slot, but might try this to get Triple Monitor support in 10.7 which is currently missing on my card...Dual DVI works, DVI/DVI/DP does not (lose DP).

cakemonster, I may be wrong but I don't think you will have much luck with the Langur/Vervet edit. That edit addresses the inactivation of MiniDP/DP ports and not the simultaneous use of three ports. Based on calvintml's posts on the netkas.org forum, my recommendation is that you try to load the Radeon Framebuffer. See my post above for instructions and let me know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back