Contribute
Register

4K Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manufactor's web site, model's web page, will list the specifications which will include the maximum resolution supported.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any graphics card with 3 HDMI connectors. Be advised that macOS doesn't support 4K+ at 60 Hz. So, you'll need to use a card with 3 DP connectors and use active DP to HDMI adapters.

How can I tell if a card is built for 4K, and based on my build, can anyone recommend a card for me to use as an upgrade? I'd especially prefer a card with 3 HDMI ports.

Thanks!

What 4k monitor doesn't have DisplayPort? If you don't care about gaming performance (and even that isn't terrible) the FirePro W7000 is my favorite single slot card with 4 DisplayPorts V1.2. AMD support is better with 10.13.4, but the W7000 works with any version of High Sierra and likely any version of Sierra. I bought my last used one from "Ken's Computers" on Amazon. he currently lists them for less than $250. There are other vendors, I can only speak to the one I know. Mine worked OOB on a MacPro and also on a Z68 i7 based Hackintosh.

The manufactor's web site, model's web page, will list the specifications which will include the maximum resolution supported.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any graphics card with 3 HDMI connectors. Be advised that macOS doesn't support 4K+ at 60 Hz. So, you'll need to use a card with 3 DP connectors and use active DP to HDMI adapters.

Is DP a common connector on monitors these days? I haven't done any shopping yet, so I don't know exactly what to look for.

What 4k monitor doesn't have DisplayPort? If you don't care about gaming performance (and even that isn't terrible) the FirePro W7000 is my favorite single slot card with 4 DisplayPorts V1.2. AMD support is better with 10.13.4, but the W7000 works with any version of High Sierra and likely any version of Sierra. I bought my last used one from "Ken's Computers" on Amazon. he currently lists them for less than $250. There are other vendors, I can only speak to the one I know. Mine worked OOB on a MacPro and also on a Z68 i7 based Hackintosh.

I don't know. I'm upgrading to 4k because I'm recording a lot of drone video in 4k, and I need to be able to edit it properly.

Is DP a common connector on monitors these days? I haven't done any shopping yet, so I don't know exactly what to look for.
Yes...for 4K monitors. Don't use HDMI with macOS.

macOS only supports 4K @ 30Hz through HDMI.

DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort converts to anything digital so no matter what you have on the monitor, get as many display ports on the video card as you can. The AMD W7000 card works great with 4 DP ports but only so-so for gaming. With the new release of 10.13.4, the WX3100, WX4100, WX5100 and WX7100 SHOULD work but I have not tested them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back