Contribute
Register

4K Monitor Support in OS X 10.9.3 - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The takeaway is that the Samsung U28D590 is working in 4K 60hz using SST. We haven't heard about any others working at 60hz in either SST or MST.

The Samsung a consumer grade panel, not IPS, and I'm not sure how well it can be calibrated for pro work.

The Dell UP2414Q is IPS and covers almost 100% AdobeRGB/SRGB/Rec709 if calibrated. I prefer dealing with 30hz knowing that at least the colors are accurate. I could see how 60hz would be preferable for gaming but for video 30hz is enough, though moving the cursor at 30hz can be a little tiring to my eyes.

Marco

I think you make a very good point.

There is a lot to like about the Dell UP2414Q of which I've recently seen going for as low as ~$850 (new and even less used) on Amazon. That's a great price for IPS / 4K at least for now,....

However, it really is an issue of use case. That is to say who is using it and for what purpose.

For my needs 24" is a bit too small and I don't have a great need or care for extreme color accuracy. A lot of professionals need the color accuracy, I really do get that, but a lot of professionals really don't need the color accuracy and can benefit from a 4K display larger then 24".

One initially-skeptical colleague fired up his code editor, took a moment to savor the spectacle, and then the epiphany: "I didn't really get it until just now." Four editors side-by-side each with over a hundred lines of code, and enough room to spare for a project navigator, console, and debugger. Enough room to visualize the back-end service code, the HTML template, the style-sheet, the client-side script, and the finished result in a web browser—all at once without one press of Alt-tab.

http://tiamat.tsotech.com/4k-is-for-programmers

When I first setup the Samsung U28D590 I had to run it at 3840x2160 via HDMI which meant 30Hz until such time as I was able to upgrade from OS X 10.9.0. The upgrade went smoothly to 10.9.2 and later 10.9.3 (fortunately) but 30Hz on the Samsung was really quite a smooth and pleasant experience with little to no noteworthy signs of lag (felt almost like 60Hz even though it was clearly 30Hz). Unlike the Seiki 39" I tried which had conspicuous screen lag.

Hi - Sadly I can not try cause my video card does not have a display port out : (

One day i hope to get a GTX 760. Right now I can't justify upgrading the GTX 650 cause the 30Hz looks and feels just fine. Sure that the 60Hz will look and feel better tho. As soon as I upgrade will post results.

There are some GTX 750 Ti cards that come with DisplayPort. I ran across a few that were going for about ~$130 USD which isn't too bad and could be a nice compromise if its supported in OS X. Not sure about the support though since the CustoMac Builder's Guide doesn't seem to have any GTX 750 Ti cards,....

hi all,

Just to add my 2c.
Just purchased a Samsung D590 4k monitor. Running 10.9.3 on a Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 3GB.
Details as follows:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x11c0
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0
Displays:
U28D590:
Resolution: 3200 x 1800 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort

As you can see, it is working fine, superb image quality but I can't get full 4k.
Max resolution is as highlighted above 3200 x 1800.
Using display port cable provided with the monitor.

Any idea why I can't get the max 4k resolution?
Thanks

I believe the answer to your question is that the 3200x1800 resolution you have reported there is actually a scaled resolution so technically the full 3840x2160 is being used. The 28" Samsung U28D590 much like the 24" Dell defaults to 1920x1080 HiDPI scaling and resolution / scaled options up to 3200x1800 should typically be available. If you wish to set it to 3840x2160 you should try downloading a program that will let you do that. I think I used Switchres or something like that, I don't recall then name to be honest.

If you wish to set it to 3840x2160 you should try downloading a program that will let you do that. I think I used Switchres or something like that, I don't recall then name to be honest.

You might give this a try: go to System Preferences/Displays and if not yet selected, select "Best for display". Then press Option and click on "Scaled". (Optional: select "Show low resolution modes".) All available video modes should be enumerated in the list. See if you can find 3840x2160 in it.

You might give this a try: go to System Preferences/Displays and if not yet selected, select "Best for display". Then press Option and click on "Scaled". (Optional: select "Show low resolution modes".) All available video modes should be enumerated in the list. See if you can find 3840x2160 in it.

I'll give that a try as soon as I get back since I'm out of town and nowhere near my system.

You're saying use the "Option" key and select "Scaled". Worth a shot, thanks.

Its a bit odd that the default resolution doesn't automatically show up but if I were to guess Apple is assuming that the display might be too small to ever run at the native 3840x2160 without scaling like the Dell 24" UP2414Q. IMO the 28" Samsung U28D590 can be viewed comfortably at 3840x2160 though.

I thought about trying that Samsung...until I realized you can't wall mount it.

:-\

Who designs a monitor with no VESA mounting these days?
Bummer.

I thought about trying that Samsung...until I realized you can't wall mount it.

:-\

Who designs a monitor with no VESA mounting these days?
Bummer.

There are more and more of these 28" 4K monitors being announced by manufacturers practically every day. They all presumably use the same panel so if the Samsung doesn't suit your tastes due to the lack of a VESA mount then perhaps the upcoming Acer, Lenovo, ASUS and ect will be more to your liking.

The Lenovo Pro2840m has a VESA mount, a great stand, built in USB hub (I think) and Apple like "edge to edge glass" but goes for about ~$799.99. It should be starting to ship now though as some people are reporting delivery:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040853728&postcount=9

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040854840&postcount=14

My GTX 660 works great with full 4k on my Samsung U28D590D in Windows, so the card can handle it along with 2 other 1080p monitors just haven't figured out how to get it to work in OS X Mavericks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back