Contribute
Register

48H DEADLINE - Hackintosh build for video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a shot amount of time to get my parts together for a hackintosh video editing machine. I am going by the guide to build a CustoMac mATX since I would like to take the machine with me but still want enough space for some power. For video editing I need a powerful processor and a less powerful processor if have understood it all right? I mostly edit action sport videos with some 4k video to get the ability to zoom without loosing quality when making a 1080p video. I am going to use a ultra wide monitor with this machine.

Anyway so far I have chosen these parts since they are available in Sweden where I live:

Intel Core i7 6800K 3,4 GHz 15MB

Corsair Hydro H60 (v2)

Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Ballistix Sport

Samsung 850-Series EVO 250GB

My questions:

What motherboard should I get that will fit in a smaller case like BitFenix Phenom?
Should I go for 32 gb ram or is 16 enough?
Can I use any ram or should I use Crucial who was recommended in the guide?
Should I make the build without a graphic card and wait with inserting one until I find a used one for a good price or will that be a problem with drivers and such?
Do I need anything better than a gtx 960 2gb for this build?

Many thanks for fast response!

John

The 6800K is a X99 platform CPU, which isn't supported by Apple. I would only go this route if I really needed more than 4 cores. I think in your case I'd opt for a 6700K with Z170 mainboard. The 6800K (which is just the "entry level" workstation CPU) isn't worth the trouble IMO.

The GPU depends on the software you're using, FinalCut likes AMD graphics while Adobe is more CUDA friendly.

The 6800K is a X99 platform CPU, which isn't supported by Apple. I would only go this route if I really needed more than 4 cores. I think in your case I'd opt for a 6700K with Z170 mainboard. The 6800K (which is just the "entry level" workstation CPU) isn't worth the trouble IMO.

The GPU depends on the software you're using, FinalCut likes AMD graphics while Adobe is more CUDA friendly.
Thanks for replying, I have found a used Gigabyte GTX 960 Overclocked 2GB for 100 bucks that I just bought. Do you recommend the Z170 mainboard by any particular reason?

The 6700K is commonly paired with Z170 mainboards, as they're usually well equipped, support fast RAM and offer the ability to overclock the CPU.
Sounds great! I have narrowed it down to these components, do you mind telling me if they will work? Just so I dont order the wrong parts...

Gigabyte GTX 960 Overclocked 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Cards GV-N960WF2OC-2GD

Corsair Hydro H60 (v2)

Intel® Core i7 6700K 4.0 GHz, 8MB, Socket 1151

Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2

Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Ballistix Sport

Samsung 850-Series EVO 250GB

ASUS Z170M-PLUS

Thanks for your input. I've just completed the build and will start installing the computer right now. Thanks once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back