Contribute
Register

4540s sometimes no keyboard or trackpad at login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using 'IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=01660003 -x PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No' at all steps now, as that is the most reliable set of boot flags. Note that if I determine that my hard drive corruption was causing me problems I may go to a lesser set in the future, but for now I want to go with the most reliable approach I've found to try to eliminate uncertainties. I should be able to install, first of all.

I don't think it matters either way. Whatever set of flags that gets you to the desktop. The minimal set is "-x IGPEnabler=No"

The machine mounts my Broadcom BCM94322HM8L. Again, this card works with my existing 'good' Mavericks install & 16GB & SSD. However, F1 reports 'check WLAN', so I suspect it's not on the whitelist for this machine. My 9280 has not arrived yet.

There is no whitelist in the 4x40s.

I'm attempting an install of Mavericks with 8GB RAM now on that disk, using the full flag set mentioned above.

Same behaviour as before: no wifi access point found, and the system hangs at the 'Setting Up Your Mac...' screen before going to the desktop.

I don't think it was corruption remaining on the drive from previous faliures some how.

I can try:
  1. Install Mountain Lion from the rebuilt installer with 'PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No'
  2. Install Mavericks with different flags - what do you suggest?
  3. Remove the wifi card and try... which install?

1. Install Mavericks with different flags - what do you suggest?

Just because I was there and it was easy I rebooted on 'IGPEnabler=Yes -x' and reached a desktop after supplying an administrator account name and password. I think I used 'Yes', but may have copied your argument 'No' as that is what I was looking at when I did this.

I'll think I'll try again from zero using your mininal arguments.

I'll think I'll try again from zero using your mininal arguments.

No change. The wifi is not found, and the install hangs on the 'Setting Up Your Mac...' screen.

Forcing power off and then booting on the USB install stick with 'IGPEnabler=No -x' gets me a prompt requesting the name and password of an Administrator. Using the one I entered previously during set up gets me a Mavericks desktop with a dialog informing me that 'Your computer's clock is set to a date before Jan 1, 2008...'. I am also informed that the home folder for user "bret" isn't located inthe usual place or can't be accessed - that is the account name I specified earlier in the install process.

There are seevral '?' icons in the Dock. No wifi networks are found when I access the icon. All in all, it doesn't seem like a complete install.

Try installing without the Wifi card. You don't need it to install. This sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Try installing without the Wifi card. You don't need it to install. This sounds like a hardware issue to me.

I will try. That doesn't explain why I was able to install before, or why it continues to work with the 'good' install I have. But it will be another data point, especially if it works.

I will try. That doesn't explain why I was able to install before, or why it continues to work with the 'good' install I have. But it will be another data point, especially if it works.

Your "good" install is with different RAM. And it has (different) issues too...

Interesting. Without the wifi card, as you might expect, there are no issues regarding network - I simply told it I don't connect.

It's hanging at the 'Setting Up Your Mac...' screen.

Perhaps attempting an install with the 'other' RAM would be illuminating...

It's hanging at the 'Setting Up Your Mac...' screen.

Perhaps attempting an install with the 'other' RAM would be illuminating...

I encountered the same behaviour with a 1x8GB Crucial module.

I am baffled. Looking over the sequence of posts, it appears my successful install was after I updated the BIOS to F.42. I can't think of another change that has occurred.

To calm my nerves, I reassembled the Broadcom adapter, 16GB Crucial RAM, and SSD with Mavericks. It comes up right away, access the Interent, etc.

I do not know what to make of this. I could risk a re-install with those 'known working' components.

I encountered the same behaviour with a 1x8GB Crucial module.

I am baffled. Looking over the sequence of posts, it appears my successful install was after I updated the BIOS to F.42. I can't think of another change that has occurred.

To calm my nerves, I reassembled the Broadcom adapter, 16GB Crucial RAM, and SSD with Mavericks. It comes up right away, access the Interent, etc.

I do not know what to make of this. I could risk a re-install with those 'known working' components.

It still sounds like some sort of hardware incompatibility issue. The two things you're changing (as I understand it) are RAM and storage device (SSD vs. HDD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back