Contribute
Register

4540s sometimes no keyboard or trackpad at login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 20th, the pointer and keyboard froze at the log in screen.

I also get this on both OS X 10.8 and 10.9 but it's so rare that I ignored it. I can't reproduce the error, but a restart fixes the problem.

I also get this on both OS X 10.8 and 10.9 but it's so rare that I ignored it. I can't reproduce the error, but a restart fixes the problem.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just ignore it. I am pondering whether to proceed with Mavericks or Mountain Lion.

How much RAM do you have, and which machine do you get this with? 4530s, 4540s, ?

I code Java, GWT, and I'm planning to pick up Android and in time, OS X & iOS coding, although the last appear to be a substantial investment, so not so immediate. Any thoughts about whether I ought stay with Mavericks or Mountain Lion for OS X & iOS coding (I'm sure I can do the rest on anything).

Mavericks has this problem more often, but it appears the Mac paradigm is to sleep rather than shutdown-start up any way.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just ignore it. I am pondering whether to proceed with Mavericks or Mountain Lion.

How much RAM do you have, and which machine do you get this with? 4530s, 4540s, ?

I code Java, GWT, and I'm planning to pick up Android and in time, OS X & iOS coding, although the last appear to be a substantial investment, so not so immediate. Any thoughts about whether I ought stay with Mavericks or Mountain Lion for OS X & iOS coding (I'm sure I can do the rest on anything).

Mavericks has this problem more often, but it appears the Mac paradigm is to sleep rather than shutdown-start up any way.

I have 2x4GB Hynx DDR3, I have this problem on 8460p and 8470p (corresponding to 4530s and 4540s). But it's rare to happen, around one every month only.

I have 2x4GB Hynx DDR3, I have this problem on 8460p and 8470p (corresponding to 4530s and 4540s). But it's rare to happen, around one every month only.

And still on Mountain Lion here, I proceeded to install the 10.8.5 Supplemental Update 1, then patched the DSDT as specified in RehabMan's Mountain Lion instructions.

System with 16GB RAM has gone over 32 start-shutdown cycles with no obvious glitches.

Test method:
  1. Start machine
  2. Type password
  3. Use pointer to open Notes (pointer test)
  4. Add another number to the count (keyboard test)
  5. Press power button to get dialog
  6. Press Enter to initiate shut down
  7. Repeat...

nguyenmac, how often do you shut down, and how often do you sleep your systems?

I'm going to try sleep-wake many times now.

And still on Mountain Lion here, I proceeded to install the 10.8.5 Supplemental Update 1, then patched the DSDT as specified in RehabMan's Mountain Lion instructions.

System with 16GB RAM has gone over 32 start-shutdown cycles with no obvious glitches.

Test method:
  1. Start machine
  2. Type password
  3. Use pointer to open Notes (pointer test)
  4. Add another number to the count (keyboard test)
  5. Press power button to get dialog
  6. Press Enter to initiate shut down
  7. Repeat...

nguyenmac, how often do you shut down, and how often do you sleep your systems?

I start-shutdown once and sleep-wake (mostly auto sleep) 3-4 times a day.

And still on Mountain Lion here...

I hot-plugged my SDXC card, and the system locked. It also won't boot with the card in.

I have been using this card with Mavericks to hold Mac software I've been downloading, so I know it has worked with this machine.

My attempt to patch the DSDT failed, as the system would not reach a log in screen after I deleted the existing DSDT.aml file.

You have to use flags without DSDT on the 4540s, much like you do when you initially install. eg. IGPEnabler=No -x DSDT=null.

I did a full install, including partitioning the drive, with 16GB of RAM installed. The first two attempts, the system did not reach the screen informing me the Mavericks install had completed, and I began again from scratch to avoid uncertainty.

I managed a text book install the third time by moving the mouse a lot during the last few minutes.

After running the ProBook Installer I began testing startup-shutdown cycles. Notes:

Summary:
The mouse plug change events are critical. Waiting before typing may allow more success, but that is not certain. It's still true that most times there is no problem, but once in 6-8 attempts the trackpad & keyboard do not work without a USB mouse plug change. This have even occurred after the keyoard was working - both at the log in screen and at the desktop.

Proposed next steps - you tell me what is useful:
  1. Install with 8G RAM to test if there are problems.
  2. Run some tool on the current install to gather information before scrubbing it.

I could put another drive in and preserve the current one for later diagnosis if that's a concern. In fact, that's what I'll do anyway, but I'll wait a bit as that will take time and see what the forum suggests.

Try with 8GB.

You have to use flags without DSDT on the 4540s, much like you do when you initially install. eg. IGPEnabler=No -x DSDT=null.

What's the emoticon for <blink?>? I thought it was 'IGPEnabler=Yes' as per your installer start up instructions. I'd like to hear why the reverse above, and it bears on the next question...

Try with 8GB.

With sufficient caffeine, anything is possible.

I'm beginning with 2x4GB Hynix as provided with the machine orginally. I may remain sufficiently motivated to try 1x8GB Crucial afterwards, partly dependent on the answer to this question:
Do I need to patch for a change in manufacturer (and possibly characteristics) of module, or just if I change the total size of RAM?

Also, I'm only intending to do this for Mavericks unless someone can motivate me otherwise. This is one, and possibly two complete re-installs.

Dsdt only changes when you modified motherboard or update BIOS. Please summary your result test.

On Mountain Lion and Windows 7, there is no glitch when you have 4GB DDR3 or 16GB DDR3.
On Mavericks, there is no glitch when you have 4GB DDR3, but glitches happen frequently under 16GB DDR3.

Am I wrong?

Dsdt only changes when you modified motherboard or update BIOS. Please summary your result test.

Did you repatch your DSDT after updating to BIOS and changing RAM? See post #1 of the 'sticky guide'...

Due to RehabMan's comment, I understood I would need to re-patch the DSDT if I changed the RAM. Can you confirm I do not re-patch DSDT when changing RAM in light of his statement?

I could instead read him as referring to the episode where I both changed the BIOS and happened to also change the RAM, but I want to check that.

On Mountain Lion and Windows 7, there is no glitch when you have 4GB DDR3 or 16GB DDR3.

I experienced keyboard/trackpad problems on Mountain Lion with 16GB RAM. I experienced the same symptoms about 3 times as often on Mavericks with 16GB RAM.

I did not note any problems with Windows 7.

On Mavericks, there is no glitch when you have 4GB DDR3, but glitches happen frequently under 16GB DDR3.

This seems correct to me, however I can stress the small samples in terms of the time I spent with each configuration. A visible problem is definitive - the lack of a visible problem is less certain (we called this "proof by lack of a counter-example" at University).

It may be true that I will find problems with 4GB or 8GB with more experience. The substantial difference in frequency of occurrence between Mountain Lion & Mavericks already noted above points to such possiblity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back