Contribute
Register

4540S LCD Screen (1080p replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't spend a lot of time in the store (holding my machine in my hands while connected up to see if I could rotate the display). Perhaps I should have investigated more - so I will sometime.

At home, perhaps the external (inexpensive) monitor I am using isn't capable somehow because it's not built to rotate? Or perhaps your scenario with two external monitors is distinct from mine of one external monitor and the native panel of the 4540s?

Given it can be done, I would like to know how...

Wait, your Dell U3011 in landscape mode, 2560x1600. Is that connected via HDMI? I am using the built-in (native 1366x768) panel and a 1080p external display via HDMI. If yours is connected differently, that might also come into play.

And knowing I can connect such a high-resolution display is interesting in it's own right. How are your displays connected, and what is the state of the native panel?

The U3011 and 2001FP are connected to my *desktop* computer, not my laptop. The U3011 is connected via DisplayPort, and the 2001FP is connected via HDMI.

With my laptop and a Dell U2410 connected via HDMI, I find the rotation option is available to rotate the image on the external display only (makes sense) and is, of course, independent of the internal laptop LCD.

The U3011 and 2001FP are connected to my *desktop* computer, not my laptop. The U3011 is connected via DisplayPort, and the 2001FP is connected via HDMI.

With my laptop and a Dell U2410 connected via HDMI, I find the rotation option is available to rotate the image on the external display only (makes sense) and is, of course, independent of the internal laptop LCD.

I seem to attract odd situations. When I open the Display panels in settings, I see one labelled for my "Built-in Display" and the other labelled for my "VP102" HDMI monitor. Only the pane for my external monitor has a control to rotate the display and when I use it, the two panes both are labelled for the "VP102" external monitor.

two_displays_rotated.jpgtwo_displays_unrotated.jpg

I don't find I can rotate the external display without also rotating the presentation of the built-in display - which then shows as a narrow-ish vertical bar with large black areas on either side. Perhaps it's my less-than-capable external display?

I seem to attract odd situations. When I open the Display panels in settings, I see one labelled for my "Built-in Display" and the other labelled for my "VP102" HDMI monitor. Only the pane for my external monitor has a control to rotate the display and when I use it, the two panes both are labelled for the "VP102" external monitor.

View attachment 73879View attachment 73880

I don't find I can rotate the external display without also rotating the presentation of the built-in display - which then shows as a narrow-ish vertical bar with large black areas on either side. Perhaps it's my less-than-capable external display?

You're in mirror mode.

I can tell because the "Optimize for:" is only available in mirror mode. Try unchecking it in "Arrangement."

You're in mirror mode.

I can tell because the "Optimize for:" is only available in mirror mode. Try unchecking it in "Arrangement."

My first response was to object, as before I attempt the display rotation, and also after I cancel the display rotation, I am definitely not in mirror mode. I saw to that several days ago.

But, sure enough, attempting to rotate the display switches the system into mirror mode. And I'll say, despite me quite specifically selecting not to be in mirror mode beforehand.

Thanks for noticing that, as it opens more possibilities for me (including the already realised possibility of spending less than a third of the cost of an equivalent MacBook Pro).

Regrettably (and of no great concern for anyone else, of course) now my opinion of Apple has plummeted even further than it was before. If I had wanted a mirror'ed display, I wouldn't have deliberately unchecked it, now would I? But who cares what I want, eh? (<== rhetorical question)

But I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of money on this. I don't think that I represent their intended audience.

the 2001FP is connected via HDMI.

Can you point at a table or other resource that says what external resolutions a 4540s Hackintosh will drive via the HDMI port? I haven't found one yet.

Thanks.

Can you point at a table or other resource that says what external resolutions a 4540s Hackintosh will drive via the HDMI port? I haven't found one yet.

Thanks.

It gets sketch beyond 1920x1200. Anything past that involves playing with refresh rates and such.

All the 14" screen used for HP Probook/Elitebook is crap regardless of 1366x768 or 1600x900 resolution. The 15.6" screen is much better in term of color space.

I totally agree: 4540s screen (1366x768) is more pleasant to look at vs. 4440s (1366x768).

I totally agree: 4540s screen (1366x768) is more pleasant to look at vs. 4440s (1366x768).

Wow. I've never seen the screen on the 4440s, but the 4540s screen is so bad, I have a hard time imagining a poorer quality screen. HP really went to the bottom of the barrel for these screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back