Contribute
Register

4540S LCD Screen (1080p replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did it - I got it all back together and it boots.
I brought it up in safe mode the first time.
The video looked crazy but I could tell it was 1080p via screen sharing.
Then I booted with just the SSDT and the installer built a new DSDT for hi-res.
Boom! Works! Wow!

It was scary taking it apart but apparently I put it back together correctly.
It works 100%.

View attachment 68365 View attachment 68366 View attachment 68367
View attachment 68368 View attachment 68369

just for reference:

I have the 4540s with 10.8.5 running perfectly,
the screen (B156HW01 V.4 - okay, fine, the clone LP156WF1),
and the right cable (50.4RY03.001 LVDS) - and it works in 1080p!

Congratulations! It was fun, huh?

Congratulations! It was fun, huh?

Yes! I'd feel okay doing it again.

People should know you need to explicitly set the screen size in Chameleon Wizard. Lacking this, you will come up in this weird state that is 1920x1080 in its mind - but it shows you the old 1366x768 portion of that screen. It's strange - it shows you the upper left hand corner of the login screen and the same for desktop. I figured it out via screen sharing. To get out of it you have to change the screen res back and forth to something else and then back to 1920x1080. Once you can see, go into Chameleon Wizard and explicitly set the screen size.

I don't mind (and can easily solve) stuff like that - but it might confuse new people.

The project was very fun - and cost only $84 (cord and lcd screen).

Great work! I'm really considering doing this myself. Thanks for the blueprint you've laid out..how do you feel about the screen quality? iknow it's 1080p and that comes with a certain idea of its improvement. But how do you think it looks in comparison to an average high end MacBook Pro? I would think our video cards would somewhat limit how crispy it can get.

I also want to replace the screen of my 4730s. I found this IPS Panel:
https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP173WF3(SL)(B2)/

The question is.. is the screen connector at the right place? The B173HW01 screens have the PCB at the bottom and the connector on the left side. So is this picture just flipped or the screen not compatible with my probook?

Edit: I just noticed that this IPS Panel has a 50-pin connector while the probook has a 40-pin connector. So it won't work! I could get a Chimei N173HGE-L11... better or worse than a AUO?

I did it - I got it all back together and it boots.
I brought it up in safe mode the first time.
The video looked crazy but I could tell it was 1080p via screen sharing.
Then I booted with just the SSDT and the installer built a new DSDT for hi-res.
Boom! Works! Wow!

It was scary taking it apart but apparently I put it back together correctly.
It works 100%.

just for reference:

I have the 4540s with 10.8.5 running perfectly,
the screen (B156HW01 V.4 - okay, fine, the clone LP156WF1),
and the right cable (50.4RY03.001 LVDS) - and it works in 1080p!
Awesome! Congratulations!
This is so tempting, but I got 6 months guarantee left. Then I will give it a shot.
:thumbup:

Yes, I can confirm that this cable 50.4RY03.001 will in fact work on the 4440S HP Probook Laptop. Although I only went with a 1600X900 screen, I'm amazed with the color, clarity, brightness, contrast and every other aspect of this screen. The upgrade is well worth it.

hi, I'm about to get my hands on a 4440s. can you post the link for the 900p screen that you used. thanks

Looks correct to me.

Thanks a lot RM.

Another question - How hard or different (if at all) is it to clean-install OS X on a 4540s equipped with highres screen? I know about the respectable setting in the ProBook Installer but is there anything else? I recall I read something about using a mini-SSDT (or mini-DSDT?) which appears like it might complicate things...

Thanks a lot RM.

Another question - How hard or different (if at all) is it to clean-install OS X on a 4540s equipped with highres screen? I know about the respectable setting in the ProBook Installer but is there anything else? I recall I read something about using a mini-SSDT (or mini-DSDT?) which appears like it might complicate things...

The procedure is documented in the 'sticky guide' at the top of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back