Contribute
Register

4540S LCD Screen (1080p replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!

Yesterday I did the update to my Full HD screen on my 4540S, but did not succeed.
After switching on I immediately get a white screen. No boot messages or BIOS possible.
I thoroughly worked through the steps described in the manual, therefore I should be ok with possible bad connections. I even doublechecked twice.

I installed:
15.6" display is made by LG PN: LP156WH4 (TL)(R1)
LVDS cable PN: 50.4RY03.001

I did a test run - just to check if my new cable is bad - with the old preinstalled display LP156WF1(TL)(B2) and get a display of booting (BIOS is possible to enter) but finally after Windows of MacOS booted up it is only a black screen (perhaps due to the combination of newer cable and old display).

Did anyone has a similar experience? Is the new display possibly bad (it was a refurbished one)?

Thanks for any pointer and keep up the good and valuable work!

Belli

Testing new cable with old display not a valid test of the cable. New cable/screen is dual-link. Old screen is single-link.

It could be the display or cable. Only way to know is to replace one or the other.

Hi,

I assume I damaged something.

After not being successful with the used 1080p display and two different cables, I changed back to the old display and old cable.
But now I get only a pretty bad resolution (like vertically stripey and bad resolution). I changed nothing in the software installation, so I assume some connection is not ok or I damaged a connector.

I will attach an image after having everything completely removed and connected again.

Sigh, any hint what I can try?

Thanks,

Belli

Hi,

I assume I damaged something.

After not being successful with the used 1080p display and two different cables, I changed back to the old display and old cable.
But now I get only a pretty bad resolution (like vertically stripey and bad resolution). I changed nothing in the software installation, so I assume some connection is not ok or I damaged a connector.

I will attach an image after having everything completely removed and connected again.

Sigh, any hint what I can try?

Thanks,

Belli

Make sure the cable is properly seated at both ends. It is very easy to not seat it properly.

Was there any consensus as to what the best screen for the 4540s (i3 with HD4000 only) was? I've read through this thread, but wasn't quite sure what would be most recommended. Btw the support on this site is fantastic, really appreciate it.

Was there any consensus as to what the best screen for the 4540s (i3 with HD4000 only) was? I've read through this thread, but wasn't quite sure what would be most recommended. Btw the support on this site is fantastic, really appreciate it.

I have the AUOv4. It is a very nice screen, but may be hard to come by.

Hi Guys

I'm going to take the plunge, currently have 2 x 4540s machines. My son has one he uses at UNI as he is studying music sound design and uses logic pro. I have ordered a cable 50.4RY03.001 and going to use my machine as the test, has anybody had difficulty with the webcam working after fitting this cable? i have picked up that it might be a problem, also the screen to buy is proving difficult the AUO v4 seems imposable to get so was going to buy a compatible one, there seems to be lots of sellers offering them on eBay for around £40 so was going to take a chance, has anybody had experience with a compatible screen? It seems you take pot luck with the manufacture of the screen, i need to do something because sons screen cable is faulty and he keeps loosing his display so i need to jsck his machine open to fix so why not pop in a HD screen. I would welcome any input. Thanks

This looks cool. I found a video on youtube that a guy replaced his screen to a 1080p screen on his HP Probook 4540s I've been looking at this screen here not sure if it will work tho. Also not sure on the cable. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW...864668?hash=item58c7012b5c:g:w-oAAOSwrklVft~C

Hi I got this screen, ask them to send a tested screen at checkout and they will check for no bad pixels and didn't charge for this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141476227299?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The cable i used from eBay again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390972986305?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

All working great. Also get the 4540s service manual it's freely available do a quick google!! there are differences from other pro books, the strip was easy, took about 2 hrs to strip and fit new pats and re assemble. i'm really pleased with the result.

I removed the complete screen assembly from the base before removing the hinge covers and bezel, this made the job easy and no damage to the laptop. just take your time and it's easy done

Hi I got this screen, ask them to send a tested screen at checkout and they will check for no bad pixels and didn't charge for this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141476227299?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The cable i used from eBay again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390972986305?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

All working great. Also get the 4540s service manual it's freely available do a quick google!! there are differences from other pro books, the strip was easy, took about 2 hrs to strip and fit new pats and re assemble. i'm really pleased with the result.

I removed the complete screen assembly from the base before removing the hinge covers and bezel, this made the job easy and no damage to the laptop. just take your time and it's easy done

Ive just ordered the screen and cable the screen will be here on the 30th. Ive also asked the seller to check the screen for dead pixels. :thumbup:

Ive just ordered the screen and cable the screen will be here on the 30th. Ive also asked the seller to check the screen for dead pixels. :thumbup:

I hope you get on ok with the upgrade, let me know if you have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back