Contribute
Register

4530s Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like it should. My replacement was a 2410

liposuction said:
Heh. This thing rocketh. Oh and I took the opportunity to swap out the factory hardened goo with Ye Olde Arctic Silver

Post results.
Cinebench score. Previous and present to see the improvement.

Also what about stability issues? Graphic issues, lines?

I think I will go for i5 too. The i7 I think is to extreme and to expensive.

How much money you paid for it?

nikstar said:
liposuction said:
Heh. This thing rocketh. Oh and I took the opportunity to swap out the factory hardened goo with Ye Olde Arctic Silver

Post results.
Cinebench score. Previous and present to see the improvement.

Also what about stability issues? Graphic issues, lines?

I think I will go for i5 too. The i7 I think is to extreme and to expensive.

How much money you paid for it?

I just finished reinstalling. I'll post a benchmark as soon as I get all the kexts installed etc. I'm waiting on a test package installer from blueking and then I'll report back.

timohour said:
Great help but nothing for the CPU...

That's dumb! The 4430s had a CPU fan replacement video and the heat sink came off/out easy as pie after I took the fan off. Ugh if you have to remove that whole black thing on the bottom that's going to suck. :(

liposuction said:
timohour said:
Great help but nothing for the CPU...

That's dumb! The 4430s had a CPU fan replacement video and the heat sink came off/out easy as pie after I took the fan off. Ugh if you have to remove that whole black thing on the bottom that's going to suck. :(

It's not only the whole black thing. I have to remove keyboard uncover disconnect every device connected to mb to detach motherboard from the black base and remove heatsink and processor. We are talking about 1-2 hours labor. :banghead: :ch:
I think I am going to switch to a 4430 or a 4330. They are both so easily upgraded...

Thanks for the info anyway

The tear down took about 25 minutes and the reassembly took about 20 minutes.

I had to remove:

1) Battery
2) Back Cover
3) RAM
4) Hard Drive
5) Optical Bay
6) WLAN
7) Keyboard
8) Top Cover
9) System Board
10) Heatsink

Note: No need to remove the fan because it doesn't affect how the heatsink unscrews. I did notice that HP cheaped out and didn't include all the screws I needed.

If anyone is interested in what the difference is between my i3-2310m and my i5-2430m just go into the MacBook Air comparison thread. I noticed my Snow Leopard jumped from 516x to about 56xx and then to 58xx, while in Lion it went from 51xx to 66xx and 67xx. My Windows 7 got me about a 67xx, too. I love it and I would recommend it.

For anyone thinking about upgrading to the i7, you might want to reconsider unless you're handy with modding your heatsink. I was reading that sometimes it takes too much power and the laptop will shutdown. Just thought I should share that. It was in some forum for notebook reviews / probook owners only. Just google it.

Well, I think so. I spent $185 (including shipping and tax) for it and I am in the process of selling the i3 for $100. For a total of $85 my Probook is now running exactly the same as MacBook Pro's with the i5-2435m

According to Geekbench:
MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)
Intel Core i5-2435M 2.4 GHz (2 cores) 6798

My score for Lion was pretty darn close and my Windows 7 is identical.

I went on Apple.com and configured the 13 inch MacBook Pro with i5-2435m, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM and it came to $1999.99 (w/o tax and shipping)

I paid:
Probook: 474.99 (NewEgg.com)
Processor Upgrade: $164.99 (SuperBiiz.com)
Hard Drive Upgrade: 256 GB Crucial C300 $464.99 (NewEgg.com)
RAM Upgrade: 8 GB OCZ DDR3-1333 $199.99 (School TechHub)
Old Processor: -$100

Total: $1204 (rounded w/o tax and shipping)

I saved almost $800 and I also got something that I can tinker with (which I love to do).

Overall, I think this was an awesome investment. But, it wouldn't be that way if it weren't for all the people in this forum who have helped make it happen. You guys are awesome and I appreciate all the hard work you all put in to this laptop.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back