Contribute
Register

4530s Mavericks Freezing / Trackpad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall ever saying I purchased this from HP. or any store for that matter. Purchased it pre-owned, from a guy who already had Mountain Lion running on it. That install works perfectly (which I still have on another drive), 10.9 has minor issues.

I don't recall ever saying I purchased this from HP. or any store for that matter. Purchased it pre-owned, from a guy who already had Mountain Lion running on it. That install works perfectly (which I still have on another drive), 10.9 has minor issues.

Maybe your issue is an OS X bug. You should try updating to 10.9.1.

Note: I hardly see how 'who' installed the RAM in the laptop has any relevance to whether it is advisable or not.

Yeah I skipped that bit (being new at doing this on a ProBook)... just wanted to get up and running and see how I went on. Very possible though.

I'll try updating and running on 6GB - See what happens. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your input though!

Yeah I skipped that bit (being new at doing this on a ProBook)... just wanted to get up and running and see how I went on. Very possible though.

I'll try updating and running on 6GB - See what happens. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your input though!

Make sure when you change the amount of RAM that you re-patch DSDT.

Yeah I'll be doing it all from scratch again.

'Who' installed the RAM has relevance so far as you said 'You do it anyway', implying that I had installed against advisable guidelines. My point there is that, seeing as I purchased it like this and it was running fine, 12GB didn't seem like an issue. It was only when you said it was out of spec that I knew this could be in any way a problem. I was under the assumption that, if the computer recognises it, then it's fine. I thought the BIOS had a cap on RAM usage that would fail to recognise any more than xGB (8 in this case).

Maybe you should try helping without assumptions or condesention? As I said, there is no disputing your knowledge and experience with this, but your attitude is certainly out of spec.

Seeing as you are a moderator, could you please delete this thread as there are no answers for others in here, and I won't be posting anything in it again. I apreciate you taking the time to answer, but it was soured by your attitude.

Yeah I'll be doing it all from scratch again.

'Who' installed the RAM has relevance so far as you said 'You do it anyway', implying that I had installed against advisable guidelines. My point there is that, seeing as I purchased it like this and it was running fine, 12GB didn't seem like an issue. It was only when you said it was out of spec that I knew this could be in any way a problem. I was under the assumption that, if the computer recognises it, then it's fine. I thought the BIOS had a cap on RAM usage that would fail to recognise any more than xGB (8 in this case).

Maybe you should try helping without assumptions or condesention? As I said, there is no disputing your knowledge and experience with this, but your attitude is certainly out of spec.

Seeing as you are a moderator, could you please delete this thread as there are no answers for others in here, and I won't be posting anything in it again. I apreciate you taking the time to answer, but it was soured by your attitude.

You asked for my opinion and ideas. I responded. You then questioned my ideas and opinion (I don't have a problem with that). I defended my opinion and ideas.

No condescension intended.

I have a 4530s with 16gb and have this problem on occasion. It seems like it can happen at anytime, but not often enough to be a major annoyance.

A few minutes ago this happened, I reboot it with the power button, and when it started up it had the same problem. The computer was obviously running as all the previously open windows popped up, but the keyboard and trackpad did nothing. I actually had to reboot into Linux and then reboot BACK into OSX to get it working again.

Of course this is probably just my silly, coincidental observation, but it seems like if I'm moving the trackpad as the cursor pops up during boot, I won't have this issue.

I do know that I was running 8 gb for a while on Mavericks, and had the same problem, so I suspect there is something else up.

The only thing unusual in the logs before it happened was:

Jan 23 19:45:13 hackintosh.local Google Chrome Helper[3547]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd. : LSXPCClient.cp #426 ___ZN26LSClientToServerConnection21setupServerConnectionEiPK14__CFDictionary_block_invoke() q=com.apple.main-thread
Jan 23 19:45:13 hackintosh.local Google Chrome Helper[3547]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd.
Jan 23 19:45:13 hackintosh.local Google Chrome Helper[3547]: CGSLookupServerRootPort: Failed to look up the port for "com.apple.windowserver.active" (1100)
Jan 23 19:45:14 hackintosh.local Google Chrome Helper[3547]: CoreText CopyFontsForRequest received mig IPC error (FFFFFECC) from font server

Of course this just could be Chrome being silly. It seems to happen more if I'm sleeping and waking the computer over and over again. Who knows though, as I said, it's occasional enough as to not be an annoyance.

Mine does this too randomly. Has the same 4GB Ram that it shipped with.

Looks like the computer will keep going if I plug in a USB mouse and USB keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back