i5-3570K
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti SSC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,
Anyone have any any experience with the 4530s freezing, or trackpad occasionally not working?
I have occasional freezes, can't replicate the problem, just happens when it wants.

Also having occasions where the trackpad doesn't work. Again, no consistency in WHEN it happens, sometimes from sleep, sometime on fresh boot. When that happens I have to force power off and restart.. then it's like nothing was wrong!

Any ideas?

It's a 4530s, i3 2.1GhHz, 12GB RAM. Everything seems to work a treat (Thanks to RehabMan), just the occasional freezes and trackpad problems.

Hi All,
Anyone have any any experience with the 4530s freezing, or trackpad occasionally not working?
I have occasional freezes, can't replicate the problem, just happens when it wants.

Also having occasions where the trackpad doesn't work. Again, no consistency in WHEN it happens, sometimes from sleep, sometime on fresh boot. When that happens I have to force power off and restart.. then it's like nothing was wrong!

Any ideas?

It's a 4530s, i3 2.1GhHz, 12GB RAM. Everything seems to work a treat (Thanks to RehabMan), just the occasional freezes and trackpad problems.

First, I'll assume this is a relatively fresh install follow the guide (no funny business).

Try:
- repair permissions & rebuild cache
- re-patch DSDT, just in case you did hardware upgrades since you installed (see guide for details)
- do EC reset: shutdown, remove all power sources, hold power button 30 sec, put everything back & restart

And the 12GB RAM is sketchy. HP specs only allow 8GB for this laptop.

Yes, I did this around a week ago.

I have already repaired permissions and tried EC Reset.

By repatching DSDT, is this done in the probook installer? If so, done that.

Complete laptop freeze has probably happened around 6 times in the last week. Trackpad freeze around 4.

Seems fine with 12GB. Recognised in both Windows and Mavericks. Not sure how to check that it's actually utilising it all, but it shows up.

Thanks for the reply

Yes, I did this around a week ago.

I have already repaired permissions and tried EC Reset.

By repatching DSDT, is this done in the probook installer? If so, done that.

Complete laptop freeze has probably happened around 6 times in the last week. Trackpad freeze around 4.

Seems fine with 12GB. Recognised in both Windows and Mavericks. Not sure how to check that it's actually utilising it all, but it shows up.

Thanks for the reply

12GB is out-of-spec as far as HP is concerned for this laptop. You should drop to 8GB (dual channel preferred). You can read it for yourself by downloading the service manual.

Well I'd have to buy new RAM for that as obviously it's 2x 6GB modules. Is there anything else you can think of? Runs 100% apart from these occasional issues. It's on all of the time other than when I'm at work or asleep, and everyting is great. I can live with the occasional freezes, but just thought I'd try and fix them if it was easily fixed.

Well I'd have to buy new RAM for that as obviously it's 2x 6GB modules. Is there anything else you can think of? Runs 100% apart from these occasional issues. It's on all of the time other than when I'm at work or asleep, and everyting is great. I can live with the occasional freezes, but just thought I'd try and fix them if it was easily fixed.

I think replacing the RAM such that it is inline with HP spec is your first step.

There's no disputing your credentials on this, Rehabman... but surely if it was the RAM, it wold always be an issue, rather than just intermittently? Didn't happen under mountain Lion, but does under Mavericks.

There's no disputing your credentials on this, Rehabman... but surely if it was the RAM, it wold always be an issue, rather than just intermittently? Didn't happen under mountain Lion, but does under Mavericks.

Not necessarily. Intermittent problems are very common with computers. You're trying to find the cause.

This is how I see it:
- HP says "don't do this"
- you do it anyway
- and then... you wonder why you have strange problems

I didn't 'do it anyway', I bought it like this. I could try running for a while on one 6GB module, but I'm skeptical that it's the RAM that's the problem. Worth trying though if it's something easy to try.

Nevermind, I'll put up with it seeing as it works fine other than that.

I didn't 'do it anyway', I bought it like this. I could try running for a while on one 6GB module, but I'm skeptical that it's the RAM that's the problem. Worth trying though if it's something easy to try.

Nevermind, I'll put up with it seeing as it works fine other than that.

Certainly it did not come that way from HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back