Contribute
Register

4530s laptop won't boot. Please help......

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tomorrow i will attempt to install linux on a usb.

So what i need to do is boot into linux from usb, find the terminal and type this line "lspci -nn" and hit return...

Is this correct ? Will i be able to connect to an external screen via hdmi after this ?

So tomorrow i will attempt to install linux on a usb.

So what i need to do is boot into linux from usb, find the terminal and type this line "lspci -nn" and hit return...

Is this correct ? Will i be able to connect to an external screen via hdmi after this ?

It is just to see what the hardware configuration is.. Post output when you have it.

Ok i will post tomorrow... when I have completed that.

Thanks

Ok i will post tomorrow... when I have completed that.

Thanks

You may end up needing to do a fresh install. Especially because you don't know what you did to break it.

If I have to do fresh install that is fine. At least we gave it a try to see what the problem was :)

This was my first experience with linux. It was not as daunting as imagined. Here is the screen shot from the terminal you asked for. Let me know what you think....

Attachments

• screen shot 1.png
    screen shot 1.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 148
  • screenshot 2.png
    screenshot 2.png
    211.7 KB · Views: 93
If I have to do fresh install that is fine. At least we gave it a try to see what the problem was :)

This was my first experience with linux. It was not as daunting as imagined. Here is the screen shot from the terminal you asked for. Let me know what you think....

Please note that the guide you linked from post #1 instructs you to disable AMD Radeon graphics (step 5). Yet, your 'lspci' output clearly demonstrates you haven't done that. In addition, your signature is inaccurate (it shows only HD3000).

Apologies. I was not aware that there was any other graphics card in my system other than the intel HD3000 which is why i didn't disable. So I have now disabled switchable graphics in BIOS. Should this now allow me to connect to hdmi screen and fix the problem from there? I will have to run down to a local internet cafe to do test this as i have no hdmi screen at home.

What other details should I have in my signature?

Thanks

Apologies. I was not aware that there was any other graphics card in my system other than the intel HD3000 which is why i didn't disable. So I have now disabled switchable graphics in BIOS. Should this now allow me to connect to hdmi screen and fix the problem from there? I will have to run down to a local internet cafe to do test this as i have no hdmi screen at home.

What other details should I have in my signature?

Thanks

Perhaps you can now boot without an HDMI monitor. Try it.

--

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Still won't boot. Made a trip to the internet cafe with laptop with hdmi cable and the monitor still thinks nothing is connected to it. Looks like i may have to do a clean install... Any other ideas ?

I'll fix the signature this evening. Is there a osx alternative to cpu-z ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back