Contribute
Register

3rd Party USB 3.0 - GenericUSBXHCI.kext Working in 10.11.2+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem solved.

I forgot to change the permissions of one file.

Now USB 3.0 is up and running!

Feels great!

Thanks a bunch for this great and cheap extension of my MBP!

Olaf

3rd party USB 3 and 3.1 in 10.11 is just garbage no point fixing.
I've got Renesas and ASMedia USB chipsets on a couple of my builds that work very well with GenericUSBXHCI.kext. I wouldn't right off all 3rd party USB chipsets just yet, having all Intel USB ports on a system still require work arounds.

My Z77-DS3H build which uses series 7 USB 3 wasn't all that hard work all it was a 2 second edit in my DSDT and everything working perfectly :) but then again I've got RehabMan to thank for his USB Guide but for 3rd party USB 3 chipsets I'd recommend going with a motherboard that has Intel USB 3 only because there's less hassle.

New guy here, I just wanted to say, thanks all for your efforts here! My GMYLE card worked great in Yosemite, but the El Cap update broke it for a while. I decided to revisit the problem, and after doing the Kext Beast install of the GenericDriver Kext here, and then re-doing it with SIP turned off, my 3.0 card is working great. Only one port has ever worked, but it's just fine for me. A little gaff tape to cover the unusable port, and retain the card, and I'm happy.

Side question, is it ok to turn SIP back on after or will it freak out about an unsigned driver already installed?

I don't have a DSDT file to do all the steps you mention in the guide, Using GA-Z170N-WIFI.
where do i get the DSDT from?

It is not necessary to patch your DSDT. All the patches required can be done with config.plist. Please read the guide carefully.

Further discussion here is off-topic.

Hi
I can report that both my MSI H81I mobos that have built in Nec Renasas 720202 usb3 controllers now work with the latest 12/15 GenericUSBkext in 10.11.4. One system is configured with system def 14,2 and the other as a 13,1, which also has a g3258 CPU and Nvidia 760 dispaly adapter. The Renasas port seem to work fine with both usb3 and usb 2 flash drive. The only issue that still exists is that the first time you plug in a stick it takes a while to be identified. Also no info for the controller is reported in the sys pref systems report under USB. Thank you so much for making this work.

Hi friends,

I recently went up to El Capitan and it's been a disaster. In this case, I'm trying to sort the USB 3.0 ports, but I'm having trouble. Here's what I tried (and didn't work).

1. Downloaded GenericUSBXHCI.kext from the repo provided
  2. Placed on my desktop and installed to /Library/Extensions using KextBeast
  3. Repaired Permissions
  4. Restart
... still no USB 3.0 ports functioning.

I'm not sure what to do from here. Are there configurations I've missed in Clover Configuration? Should I run MultiBeast again with specific settings?

Not being a hardcore developer I could really use some guidance. Still have a number of lingering issues, but the USB ports are killing me — I can't even use my peripherals!

(PS, yes, the hardware works because A.) it worked fine in Yosemite for several years, and B.) I used a USB 3.0 port to install from a Unibeast Installer thumb drive.)

Hi friends,

I recently went up to El Capitan and it's been a disaster. In this case, I'm trying to sort the USB 3.0 ports, but I'm having trouble. Here's what I tried (and didn't work).

1. Downloaded GenericUSBXHCI.kext from the repo provided
  2. Placed on my desktop and installed to /Library/Extensions using KextBeast
  3. Repaired Permissions
  4. Restart
... still no USB 3.0 ports functioning.

I'm not sure what to do from here. Are there configurations I've missed in Clover Configuration? Should I run MultiBeast again with specific settings?

Not being a hardcore developer I could really use some guidance. Still have a number of lingering issues, but the USB ports are killing me — I can't even use my peripherals!

(PS, yes, the hardware works because A.) it worked fine in Yosemite for several years, and B.) I used a USB 3.0 port to install from a Unibeast Installer thumb drive.)

You do not need GenericUSBXHCI.kext for Intel USB3 (in fact, the current version does nothing with Intel XHCI controllers).

See guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/

See guide

I'm literally lost on the second sentence. Surely a thread with 127 pages needs to be distilled a bit to actionable steps. I don't think I'm alone here — El Capitan has forced me to read more tutorials and uncover more technical details than any OS or configuration previously. I'm more lost than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back