Contribute
Register

343.02.02f02 NVIDIA Alternate Drivers + Security Update 2015-002 = Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried every 10.10.2 driver available and they all say my system isn't supported, yet my 780 shows up correctly in about this mac. :(

All :

There is NO need to rollback the driver. Fixing the build number in the Info.plist DOES solve the issue.
The missing step is rebuilding of the kernel caches.
It is done as follows:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

After changing the plist, run those two and then reboot.
It will work.

I reverted to WebDriver-343.02.02b04.pkg which works without modifications on Security Update 2015-002.

Oh, THANK YOU! I had done a build on a new i7 from scratch today using the current 10.10.2 Yosemite. I am now at version 10.10.2 (14C1514). That seems like it's after 2015-3 security update, yes?

The result was that I was stuck, only able to boot with nv_disable=1. And the performance was hideous. This 4+ GHz i7 was running like a Pentium 3 with integrated graphics. The cursor would crawl over sloth lands. Bootable but unusable.

Could not install any of the NVIDIA web drivers because they all said either that 10.10.2 was not compatible or that it was required, the later ones not recognizing the current install as being 10.10.2.

This one you found was the only driver that installed. After the restart it booted without nv_disable=1 but locked up after I logged in. I punched reset and it booted OK (also without needing nv_disable=1) and I logged in OK. But still very slow. Then I found there was now an NVIDIA manager in system prefs, and there I was able to choose the Web driver over the OS X provided driver, and it booted up at last running like one would expect.

ESSENTIAL find, you saved my butt, THANK YOU!

Apparently I upgraded at the wrong time. (coming from mountain lion, doing a clean install of Yosemite with a brand new EVGA 970 GTX)

It seems some GeForce owners that updated to the current 10.10.3 very recently had their nVidia drivers voided. Current Build is 14D136 but nVidia's latest drivers only work with 14D131. You're all correct, you need to trick the nvidia startup kext to see back at the 14D131 version.

For some editing kext did not work. I suspect that they were running IDE hard drives (not SSD) and not in dev mode as a result. Anyhow, this tutorial outlines what to do as a fix. Very thorough. I haven't gotten through the entire process myself as I still am repairing permissions and the tutorial goes on to suggest reinstalling the 10.10.3 combo update afterwards. Not feeling particularly keen about that as those combo updates always tend to kill my OS.

FYI, my EVGA has 2 working DVI ports and no working HDMI or DisplayPort. (as of nVidia drivers for 10.10.0) I was hoping that having the latest nVidia drivers would magically grant me a working HDMI or DisplayPort so that I can get back to having triple displays again. My 27" Cinema Display is collecting dust over here...

Apparently I upgraded at the wrong time. (coming from mountain lion, doing a clean install of Yosemite with a brand new EVGA 970 GTX)

It seems some GeForce owners that updated to the current 10.10.3 very recently had their nVidia drivers voided. Current Build is 14D136 but nVidia's latest drivers only work with 14D131. You're all correct, you need to trick the nvidia startup kext to see back at the 14D131 version.

For some editing kext did not work. I suspect that they were running IDE hard drives (not SSD) and not in dev mode as a result. Anyhow, this tutorial outlines what to do as a fix. Very thorough. I haven't gotten through the entire process myself as I still am repairing permissions and the tutorial goes on to suggest reinstalling the 10.10.3 combo update afterwards. Not feeling particularly keen about that as those combo updates always tend to kill my OS.

FYI, my EVGA has 2 working DVI ports and no working HDMI or DisplayPort. (as of nVidia drivers for 10.10.0) I was hoping that having the latest nVidia drivers would magically grant me a working HDMI or DisplayPort so that I can get back to having triple displays again. My 27" Cinema Display is collecting dust over here...

The latest drivers work with 14D136

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back