Contribute
Register

310m/Intel GPU Optimus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that NVIDIA Optimus is a "Muxless" type of GPU switching while Apple still ( probably) uses Muxed switching.

To understand the difference:

In Muxed design both GPUs (the Radeon and the Intel) are connected to a hardware mux (switch), and the mux connects to the display. When you switch graphics you are changing which GPU connects to the display.

Muxless switching is the basic design of NVIDIA Optimus. What that means is that the NVIDIA GPU renders into memory, but the Intel GPU is used for outputting the final image. This is the key here - the Intel GPU is always active, it's just that the NVIDIA does the rendering work when it's selected. So the display is always connected to the Intel card which in turn is connected to the NVIDIA card.

The downsides of the muxless design are driver issues ,slightly lower performance (a couple of percent - not really noticeable), and basically no support for the dedicated GPU under non-Windows operating systems (there are significant issues in Linux that make doing muxless designs harder, and the engineering resources are not there).

The upsides of the muxless design are much quicker and more transparent switching, better driver support in the long term (the mux-based design is laptop specific and rely on hacks that Microsoft doesn't really support), and lower cost.
[./quote]

However, something called "Bumblebee" for Linux has made it possible to switch Optimus GPUs in Linux. We just need someone to port it to OSX.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/bumb ... nux-users/
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee

Now looking at my specs, you'll might ask why I am interested in Optimus while my laptop has a AMD card. This is because AMD also decided to use "Muxless" switching in newer GPUs & my laptop has the same issues as the Optimus owners.

The problem is that NVIDIA Optimus is a "Muxless" type of GPU switching while Apple still ( probably) uses Muxed switching.

To understand the difference:

In Muxed design both GPUs (the Nvidia and the Intel) are connected to a hardware mux (switch), and the mux connects to the display. When you switch graphics you are changing which GPU connects to the display.

Muxless switching is the basic design of NVIDIA Optimus. What that means is that the NVIDIA GPU renders into memory, but the Intel GPU is used for outputting the final image. This is the key here - the Intel GPU is always active, it's just that the NVIDIA does the rendering work when it's selected. So the display is always connected to the Intel card which in turn is connected to the NVIDIA card.

The downsides of the muxless design are driver issues ,slightly lower performance (a couple of percent - not really noticeable), and basically no support for the dedicated GPU under non-Windows operating systems (there are significant issues in Linux that make doing muxless designs harder, and the engineering resources are not there).

The upsides of the muxless design are much quicker and more transparent switching, better driver support in the long term (the mux-based design is laptop specific and rely on hacks that Microsoft doesn't really support), and lower cost.

However, something called "Bumblebee" for Linux has made it possible to switch Optimus GPUs in Linux. We just need someone to port it to OSX.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/bumb ... nux-users/
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee

Now looking at my specs, you'll might ask why I am interested in Optimus while my laptop has a AMD card. This is because AMD also decided to use "Muxless" switching in newer GPUs & my laptop has the same issues as the Optimus owners.

HI folks,

just a small report of my findings. I've been cursing myself enough for buying the Asus U30Jc and I'm just committed to making it work.

1) Specs: ASUS U30JC, BIOS 217, Optimus w/ NVidia310m

2) You can get a very clean DSDT with the last DSDT Autopatcher from Olarila

3) In that DSDT, you can _DISABLE THE NVIDIA_ by a simple hack. Look for the HINI method in one of the three GFX0 devices. It disables the NVIDIA for Linux. Just go ahead and get rid of the Linux check and, voilà, the only one to see your NVIDIA card will be Chameleon, no one will afterwards. It literally disappears from lspci, etc.

4) Still no way of loading the IntelHD framebuffer, so my resolution is stuck @ 1024x768.

5) I have loaded the graphics acceleration kext, it works (translucent menu bar) but it the screen gets crippled.

So... now, anyone wanting to start injecting things in the DSDT to make the fb kext load correctly?

Cheers,/PA

Its great to know that someone is adamant in making this work, you will help ALOT of laptop owners who regret ever getting an optimus notebook! I wish i could help, but im really a noob, but ill definitely do my constant research and post any findings that might help you in your endeavor.
Havent tried this personally but this dude seems to have made it work (IF i understand right, what do you think of his methodology?) http://allabouthackintosh.blogspot.com/ ... 9892720556

And this person has an alienware with optimus and he didnt have any trouble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-lNw4qhOE

Holy crap. My Asus N43 has optimus technology too..

Oh well. There goes my chance of hackintosh-ing. All the research gone to waste. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

have U try it??

small question (since i cant try it cause my laptop isnt available now) but now the plan is basically to skip the Nvidia card, and just try to get acceleration and full resolution on the intel graphics card? Does anyone know which intel card is provided with these optimus set ups (3000, 45000, etc?)

do you happen to know which intel HD is in the Asus k52j? or A52jc? Or is intel HD numberless(no 3000, or 4500 etc)

Intel GM45/PM45 - Intel 4500MHD
First Gen. Intel Core (e.g. i5-450M) - Intel HD Graphics
Second Gen. Intel Core (Sandy Bridge) - Intel HD 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back