Contribute
Register

2019 Mac Pro is Now Available at Apple.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
iFixIt Mac Pro video

Last edited:
iFixIt Mac Pro tear down!
That is the worst teardown from them I've ever seen. Way too dark to even see anything inside the case. The two girls are just not right for this job. Why even post this on Youtube ?

Last edited:
That is the worst teardown from them I've ever seen. Way too dark to even see anything inside the case. The two girls are just not right for this job. Why even broadcast this ?
Yes, sorry. That was awful. I didn't watch it first.

The new MacPro platform is indeed flexible. You definitely don't need 'real graphics' to work in Logic, just like you can't benefit from 28-core CPU in Adobe's lousy written software. All we need now is Pro version of MacOS, optimized for performance, with proper OpenGL/CL support, and whithout all that 'screentimes' and 'iCrap'

One thing no one has talked about yet is whether you'll be able to easily swap out the motherboard for a newer one sometime down the road of your ownership. You can do this with any ATX mid-tower case but we won't know how easy or difficult it is to accomplish until the likes of iFixit posts a full teardown video of the disassembly of the 2019 Mac Pro. That is due to be posted sometime this week BTW. When you look at the design of the case it's going to last a really long time. The PSU is also ultra high quality and should easily last 10 years or more. No one seems to be figuring in the cost of the proprietary Swiss Cheese MP case and 1.4 kw PSU when doing the price comparisons. The value of those two components has to be close to $1300 and the motherboard itself at least 7-800 dollars. Roughly one third of the $5999 base price is made up by those three parts.

This is why many people think that the base model is grossly overpriced for the CPU, graphics, storage and ram specs you get. I'd agree that you are paying much more for those three than if you bought them yourself on Newegg and Amazon. The Apple tax is there but the fact that you do get the option to upgrade those four yourself is of great value too. The lack of options to upgrade graphics in the 2013 MP is what really killed it's future usability.

As I've stated previously, if the base model would include the 12 Core Xeon, 48 GB of 6 channel ram, 1TB SSD and an RX Vega 64 equivalent gfx card you really couldn't argue with the $5,999 asking price at all. Apple is simply maintaining it's normal 30% profit margins on Macs by giving you the base model specs. That's how they operate across the board in the pricing of their products.

For someone that is doing Pro audio work those base specs are very good. Depending on the level of work they do they may only need more ram and some external storage to have a much better studio Mac than they currently use. As this video demonstrates Audio Pros don't need more than a Radeon Pro RX 580.

Last edited:
Here's a video tour filmed much better than the last iFixit offering. Let's you see everything in adequate lighting.

Last edited:
Here is the iFixit print version of their Mac Pro teardown. Hopefully they'll present a professionally produced video too. My question is, "how much will it cost to replace or upgrade the motherboard ?" Many people still use their 2010/12 mac Pros today. It would be really great for them if they had an easy mobo and CPU upgrade to keep using their cherished classic Mac Pro with Catalina.

1576581892646.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back